GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-10-2021, 04:50 AM   #23
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
I would’ve given you the torque values for free! Lol.
When you got Akra money to take a cutter to..... you don't care paying for TQ values
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 08:36 AM   #24
flexspec
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower_and_hounds View Post
Quote:
When you got Akra money to take a cutter to..... you don't care paying for TQ values
When it comes to wrenching, if you plan on doing it yourself - you either do it right or don't do it at all.

This is going to cut deep - but those who wrench without manufacturers torque values - aren't wrenching, they are playing shop dress-up.

Why do I feel like Holmes on Homes on a Bimmer forum?
      01-10-2021, 09:53 AM   #25
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceweasel View Post
When it comes to wrenching, if you plan on doing it yourself - you either do it right or don't do it at all.

This is going to cut deep - but those who wrench without manufacturers torque values - aren't wrenching, they are playing shop dress-up.

I totally agree..... and no my feelings are not hurt. My skin grows pretty thick at my age. but all these values are available all over the internet especially since the platform has been out for a solid 7 years. We are not inventing the wheel every time we turn a wrench. Also there is logic about many of the TQ values. One last thing.... the dumb ass's that replace a lot of this so called "1 time" bolts are just rolling up money and smoking it. Just another way BMW milks us. I have yet since 2009 replaced a bolt that was not damaged even if BMW said to replace. Corporate liabilities....yes. Needed..... I highly doubt it.

Just my "shop dress up" .02

The Akra money joke...... I always use it here and on the motorcycle racing forums
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 11:37 AM   #26
guess2098
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Taycan GTS, 2018 M4, 2016

Thanks for the post man! I am big fan of akrapovic too. I have akra gt4 for my e92 m3 and f82 m4 have full akra, another full akra set ready to install to my m3cs.

I was so want to try EL with 2nd set of akra on m3cs.

Tbh I can't tell too much difference but video is actually too short. If you can post a video when you drive on the road probably will tell the difference! Can't wait for it!

Thank you for the post!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 11:42 AM   #27
guess2098
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Taycan GTS, 2018 M4, 2016

Quote:
What is a torque valve? Try to learn here, thanks bro.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 01:20 PM   #28
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by guess2098 View Post
What is a torque valve? Try to learn here, thanks bro.
No idea what a torque valve is but a quick google search came up with this

A torque-seated valve (e.g., gate valve) will use the torque switches to properly seat the valve at the required torque setting. There is often a torque switch electrical bypass in the opening direction so that more torque is available to break the valve out of its seat.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 04:00 PM   #29
flexspec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower_and_hounds View Post
Quote:

I totally agree..... and no my feelings are not hurt. My skin grows pretty thick at my age. but all these values are available all over the internet especially since the platform has been out for a solid 7 years. We are not inventing the wheel every time we turn a wrench. Also there is logic about many of the TQ values. One last thing.... the dumb ass's that replace a lot of this so called "1 time" bolts are just rolling up money and smoking it. Just another way BMW milks us. I have yet since 2009 replaced a bolt that was not damaged even if BMW said to replace. Corporate liabilities....yes. Needed..... I highly doubt it.

Just my "shop dress up" .02

The Akra money joke...... I always use it here and on the motorcycle racing forums
It's possible that one can avoid swapping single use bolts/nuts - within reason (i would not recommend this on oil pan or magnesium valve cover).

I'm sure there is some engineer in a room, after
extensive R&D, deemed these bolts single use - outside of fleecing us $16.00 to replace them.
I don't think I'll ever find a definitive answer - so it's my own personal preference to stay on the safe side of an engineers design/recommendation. I've seen what happens when you don't. It's horrible.

I swear I did try searching for these values. But couldn't find them. The Akrapovic installation manual didnt include them - but had hangar torque values. I miss Newtis. BMW shutting them down leaves a poor taste in my mouth. But that's for another thread.

Most if not all of my quips are intended to be harmless. It's the internet after all. Only thing I take serious is technical advice.

Outside of that it's all fun and games.
      01-10-2021, 04:55 PM   #30
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It's possible that one can avoid swapping single use bolts/nuts - within reason (i would not recommend this on oil pan or magnesium valve cover).

I'm sure there is some engineer in a room, after
extensive R&D, deemed these bolts single use - outside of fleecing us $16.00 to replace them.
I don't think I'll ever find a definitive answer - so it's my own personal preference to stay on the safe side of an engineers design/recommendation. I've seen what happens when you don't. It's horrible.

I swear I did try searching for these values. But couldn't find them. The Akrapovic installation manual didnt include them - but had hangar torque values. I miss Newtis. BMW shutting them down leaves a poor taste in my mouth. But that's for another thread.

Most if not all of my quips are intended to be harmless. It's the internet after all. Only thing I take serious is technical advice.

Outside of that it's all fun and games.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 12:01 PM   #31
Matt@autotalent
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW e92 M3 DCT supercharged

Sounds good!
Appreciate 1
flexspec366.00
      01-14-2021, 12:05 PM   #32
YKIGI
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Quadrifoglio

Not the best. But it sounds OK

E46 wagon ~ E46 330ci ZHP ~E46 M3 Sold ~ E92 335i Sold ~ E90 M3 Sold ~ F82 M4 Sold <- All Manuals
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 06:44 PM   #33
CT92F80
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80

I would really like to try this on my f80, but looks like the AA EL resonated pipes version take up most of the rear section. The part of the pipes I would need to cut. I'm akra full evolution with catless downpipes. AA EL Resonated version was recommended for less rasp....
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 07:06 PM   #34
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT92F80 View Post
I would really like to try this on my f80, but looks like the AA EL resonated pipes version take up most of the rear section. The part of the pipes I would need to cut. I'm akra full evolution with catless downpipes. AA EL Resonated version was recommended for less rasp....
The OP is also an F80.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 07:13 AM   #35
Siljo3
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i F30 2013 M paket aut

Quote:
Not the cleanest launch - but the sound captured was glorious.
Ignore the dead-cat in frame. The boom mic was huge with the dead-cat on. The purpose was to eliminate any ambient wind noise.

For those interested: stock DP's. bootmod3 Stage 1 93octane.

Will upload more.

Very nice. I assume that in real life is even better? Did you have stock exhaust before AA EL and slip on Akrapovic?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 07:05 PM   #36
flexspec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siljo3 View Post
Very nice. I assume that in real life is even better? Did you have stock exhaust before AA EL and slip on Akrapovic?
The RODE boom mic on a GoPro 8 can only do so much. LOL Indeed it sounds much better in person. A much richer and even note than stock.
I did have the stock exhaust before.

The big question: Is changing the exhaust worth $5.5k? The answer for me is a resounding yes. An easy yes.
We all have our own unique choices and goals with any build - and a better sound performing exhaust was on my list.
Appreciate 1
Kilabyte3942.00
      10-14-2021, 01:45 AM   #37
eXstasy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 F80M3, 11 E93M3, 06 E46M3

flexspec thanks for this post.

Could you tell me where the clamp I circled in your pic came from? It doesn't look like it comes with the Akra slip-on. What is it being used for here?

I'm trying to figure out the final cuts you made for that last section to mate up with the Akra. Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 07:59 AM   #38
bertocolon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXstasy View Post

Could you tell me where the clamp I circled in your pic came from? It doesn't look like it comes with the Akra slip-on. What is it being used for here?

I'm trying to figure out the final cuts you made for that last section to mate up with the Akra. Thanks!
Yes I second that Q'....will the resonated AA EL extension allow room for the cuts? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 10:02 PM   #39
Beatrix Kiddo
Rep
Drives: BMW F80CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexspec View Post
This has been one heck of a journey. Of the systems I have worked on, this was the least technical, but a little bit more rewarding at the end. Maybe it was the unique problems that were encountered - but it felt extremely satisfying when I started it up.

The challenge: Don't cut the Akrapovic Exhaust and complete the install before 2021
Challenge Accepted!

A 24hr BMW-TIS subscription was required to get the torque settings for the nuts and bolts. lol@ $30 - but well worth it. While exhaust work is forgiving, precision is a must.

After measuring the distance between the end of the slip-on and the mid-pipe, the mid-pipe connection pipes were cut.
As you can see from the picture, one side fit perfectly, the other side would require an additional cut, and slip fitting.

Overall, this proof of concept that the Akrapovic Exhaust can indeed work with the Active Autoworke Equal Length exhaust with minimal effort and unique solutions.

I have included a cold start, flaps closed and open for your enjoyment.

It sounds so much better driving. Each gear sings a uniform discernible tone. It is like a new car all over again.

Couldn't have done this install without this communities help and countless posts/personal experiences.

Cheers and Happy New Year all!

Cold Start

Flaps Closed

Flaps Open
Did you have to buy gaskets for the mate up of the downpipes to midpipe? The was ones that came with my stock midpipe fell apart and I only had two breaks new two bolt flange gaskets.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2021, 05:26 AM   #40
flexspec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Sorry for the late response. By now you may have your AA EL midpipe and realized that the clamp you circled comes with the AA install kit. I used it to fixate the portion of the bend where I expanded to make a slip-on like fitting.

The steel can withstand expansion.

Hope that helps. Sorry for the late response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatrix Kiddo View Post
Did you have to buy gaskets for the mate up of the downpipes to midpipe? The was ones that came with my stock midpipe fell apart and I only had two breaks new two bolt flange gaskets.
Yes. I did.
As a rule of thumb you should always buy new gaskets when that connection is taken apart.

Hope that helps and apologies for the late reply.
      02-10-2022, 10:07 PM   #41
geroz1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 LCI2 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexspec View Post
Quote:

Sorry for the late response. By now you may have your AA EL midpipe and realized that the clamp you circled comes with the AA install kit. I used it to fixate the portion of the bend where I expanded to make a slip-on like fitting.

The steel can withstand expansion.

Hope that helps. Sorry for the late response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatrix Kiddo View Post
Yes. I did.
As a rule of thumb you should always buy new gaskets when that connection is taken apart.

Hope that helps and apologies for the late reply.
I have the same set up and ended up cutting my akra I think it's inevitable with the resonated version, no?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 11:51 PM   #42
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroz1 View Post
I have the same set up and ended up cutting my akra I think it's inevitable with the resonated version, no?
You have to cut any exhaust with any AA EL combination.

Does anyone want a cut MPE midpipe?

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 05:51 PM   #43
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by guess2098 View Post
Thanks for the post man! I am big fan of akrapovic too. I have akra gt4 for my e92 m3 and f82 m4 have full akra, another full akra set ready to install to my m3cs.

I was so want to try EL with 2nd set of akra on m3cs.

Tbh I can't tell too much difference but video is actually too short. If you can post a video when you drive on the road probably will tell the difference! Can't wait for it!

Thank you for the post!
I have full Akro on my F-82 and did the AAEq mid and to me, it's a 1000 times better
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 10:24 PM   #44
geroz1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 LCI2 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by geroz1 View Post
You have to cut any exhaust with any AA EL combination.

Does anyone want a cut MPE midpipe?
Yeah it is what it is. Car sounds epic now! No weedwacker sounds and it is higher pitched. Most videos don't do justice
Appreciate 0