Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

12-19-2018, 03:34 PM   #23
jninja
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jninja View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I hear what you're saying...but it's still the same car...regardless of the rate changes, I wouldn't get one at that "deal" [OP] personally... I waiting months, and was patient. I had plenty of offers for my build similar to OPs
i dont think you're understanding. the only thing that is relevant is how much dealer discount before any incentives or rebates. that fact that the MF and residuals were much better isn't relevant. they arent going to get any better and the M3 has stopped production so waiting doesnt make sense either. i ended up purchasing because the lease rate was terrible
I don't think you understand. The only thing that matters is $$$
I would try to explain it to you but you seem to lack basic financial sense.
The irony is astounding.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #24
omaralt
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I hear what you're saying...but it's still the same car...regardless of the rate changes, I wouldn't get one at that "deal" [OP] personally... I waiting months, and was patient. I had plenty of offers for my build similar to OPs
i dont think you're understanding. the only thing that is relevant is how much dealer discount before any incentives or rebates. that fact that the MF and residuals were much better isn't relevant. they arent going to get any better and the M3 has stopped production so waiting doesnt make sense either. i ended up purchasing because the lease rate was terrible
The irony is astounding.
I'll try to keep this simple for you. when you leased the residuals were higher and the money factor was lower. These are things not under our or the dealership control. These numbers are set by bmw. So the fact that you got a great monthly payment is awesome but doesn't help somebody buying today. The only thing that's relevant is how much a discount the dealership gave you. That's the only thing in our control. Money factor, residual, rebates are all set by bmw
2013 550i M sport Alpine White/Cinnamon (retired)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 06:25 PM   #25
instarand
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The irony is astounding.
I'll try to keep this simple for you. when you leased the residuals were higher and the money factor was lower. These are things not under our or the dealership control. These numbers are set by bmw. So the fact that you got a great monthly payment is awesome but doesn't help somebody buying today. The only thing that's relevant is how much a discount the dealership gave you. That's the only thing in our control. Money factor, residual, rebates are all set by bmw
I agree with you. It's kind of like saying, "the deal on your house is bad regardless of the price because in 2012 I got 3.1% and now it's 4.5%" Should nobody buy a house now because once there was better interest rates? Is everybody getting a bad deal deal now? Lol.

The OP isn't asking when the best time in history was to buy a car. He's asking if today's deal is good. And in that context, somebody trying to buy now, can get or good or not so good deal.

The economy goes on. Supply/demand takes effect. Good deals and bad deals are relative to the present day.

Unless your financial situation is such that spending x dollars is not doable. some people buying cars like these are not hyper sensitive to historical low values. But rather is the dealer doing right by me, or taking advantage.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 01:38 PM   #26
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by instarand View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The irony is astounding.
I agree with you. It's kind of like saying, "the deal on your house is bad regardless of the price because in 2012 I got 3.1% and now it's 4.5%" Should nobody buy a house now because once there was better interest rates? Is everybody getting a bad deal deal now? Lol.

The OP isn't asking when the best time in history was to buy a car. He's asking if today's deal is good. And in that context, somebody trying to buy now, can get or good or not so good deal.

The economy goes on. Supply/demand takes effect. Good deals and bad deals are relative to the present day.

Unless your financial situation is such that spending x dollars is not doable. some people buying cars like these are not hyper sensitive to historical low values. But rather is the dealer doing right by me, or taking advantage.
Your example using simply a loan and an interest rate is not exactly apples to apples. While the mf/rate is part of it, the residual factors very heavily into overall cost. A lower residual is essentially an up charge on the purchase price in terms of a lease. So in your real estate example, it's more akin to saying a house in neighborhood X cost $300k a few months ago but now that house costs $350k.

At the end of the day a lease is just a form of fixed payments for a fixed time and everyone has their own opinion of how much an m3/4 is "worth" to them in terms of a monthly nut. I think most people would balk at $1k+ payments for these cars but I'm sure there are those that view that as reasonable as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 01:45 PM   #27
instarand
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by instarand View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The irony is astounding.

Your example using simply a loan and an interest rate is not exactly apples to apples. While the mf/rate is part of it, the residual factors very heavily into overall cost. A lower residual is essentially an up charge on the purchase price in terms of a lease. So in your real estate example, it's more akin to saying a house in neighborhood X cost $300k a few months ago but now that house costs $350k.

At the end of the day a lease is just a form of fixed payments for a fixed time and everyone has their own opinion of how much an m3/4 is "worth" to them in terms of a monthly nut. I think most people would balk at $1k+ payments for these cars but I'm sure there are those that view that as reasonable as well.
No, I totally understand. I was over simplifying. But people come to these threads asking if the dealer is offering a good deal or if they should negotiate more. Cars, not just M3's, continue to sell throughout the ups and downs of factory incentives. Some people are in the market when incentives are good, and for others the timing is not as convenient.

If your point is "don't buy an M3 (period) because they're too expensive now" then I guess that's a fair opinion to have. I assumed the OP was just asking for a critique of his dealer offer. He's in the market for a car and is wondering if the deal is good.

When I bought mine, I was buying mine as long as the dealer was being fair. If it meant the difference in $100 or $200 a month because of incentive variations over the last 18 months then so be it.

Plus, you never know how incentives will change moving forward. Fast forward 6 months from now and people that sat back and waited because "the deals were bad" may say damn December 2018 wasn't so bad after all. Lol. My opinion is that when you're in the market and ready to go, negotiate what is negotiable and drive off happy.

Anyway - this is entirely too much dialogue on the topic lol. Cheers man.
Appreciate 1