EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-28-2018, 10:27 AM   #1
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2018 M550i, 2022 M4

Issues with AA Midpipe

Yesterday I installed the AA midpipe with my Stock Competition exhaust. I cut my exhaust as described (1.5 inches from the weld. Actual got the cut perfect, was a bit surprised). When lining up the AA midpipe and the exhaust, the AA midpipe was way too long. I couldn't really cut more into my stock exhaust, because I wouldn't have much room to grab on, once the connection is put on between the stock muffler and the aa midpipe. So I had to cut some of the AA midpipe to make it fit. Pictures attached is the amount I had to cut and the next photo is after the cut, where you see the pipes barely have any distance between them, so the cut was necessary.

After I cut the AA midpipe, everything fit good. The midpipe definetly makes a huge difference in sound. It is louder, more pops and Deeper. Sound is good.

Yesterday I drove and there was no issues. Today when I drove, at low rpms there is a slight drone and it sounds like two pipes are hitting each other (not sure if any pipes are actually hitting, just the best way I can describe the sound I am hearing). This only happens when the exhaust is cold and at low rpms.

Anyone have any suggestions? I figured the AA midpipe would have fit perfectly after I cut my exhaust pipe exactly as was described. Did anyone else have fitment problems? I am just wondering if I got one of the pipes defective. Any input on the drone and pipe sound at low rpms? I did make sure everything was very tight and sitting correct. Even revved the car as it was still on the lift and made sure there was no air leaks or weird noises. While the car was warm, I did not hear any problems.
Attached Images

11-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #2
dpgfunk
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

It's most likely the midpipe hitting the center brace -- check visually. Support the pipe to make sure there's adequate clearance between the brace before you tighten it up. You could also place some washers/spacers for good measure.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 10:59 AM   #3
milk242
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

When I installed mine, I had all the bolts loose and put a piece of wood (thickness of an iPhone with an Apple case) between the brace and mid pipe and then tightened everything down and then removed the wood. Although things are pretty close to each other, I do not have any rattles that I read about on this forum.
20 Tesla Model 3
23 Audi R8 (on order, never came )
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 11:15 AM   #4
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgfunk View Post
It's most likely the midpipe hitting the center brace -- check visually. Support the pipe to make sure there's adequate clearance between the brace before you tighten it up. You could also place some washers/spacers for good measure.
Im going to take it to my dad's shop tomorrow and check everything out. My dad has been a mechanic for over 45 years (so lots of experience), so the first thing that was his concern was that the pipe will be touching the brace. He even suggested we remove the brace completely, to make sure they do not touch. After we tightened everything up, the brace and pipe were pretty close, but they were not touching. We even shook the pipe and saw that after everything is tightened up, the pipe should not be touching the brace.

Weird that I only hear the noise at low rpms, but nothing at higher rpms. My guess is that if it was the brace, then I would be hearing it at higher rpms as well. My concern is that it was weird that the AA midpipe did not align correct to the stock muffler. I haven't read anything on anyone else having fitments issues. I am just hoping that the pipe is not defective in some way. It is only the driver side pipe that was too long, the passenger side pipe that connects to the muffler, fit perfect.

I will be sure to check the brace first, tomorrow.
      11-28-2018, 12:31 PM   #5
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

Been there done that
You should do the following:
1. Use spacers (either 4 washers or a nut) to space out the brace from the body. This will give you enough clearance
2. Also check the pipe around where it turns after the downpipes - you may need to bend the heat shield in that space a bit.
3. Check the rear - it comes really close around the rear-dif area by a suspension component. Shake your exhaust and if it hits then you may need to realign it again
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2018, 10:40 PM   #6
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecoce1 View Post
Yesterday I installed the AA midpipe with my Stock Competition exhaust. I cut my exhaust as described (1.5 inches from the weld. Actual got the cut perfect, was a bit surprised). When lining up the AA midpipe and the exhaust, the AA midpipe was way too long. I couldn't really cut more into my stock exhaust, because I wouldn't have much room to grab on, once the connection is put on between the stock muffler and the aa midpipe. So I had to cut some of the AA midpipe to make it fit. Pictures attached is the amount I had to cut and the next photo is after the cut, where you see the pipes barely have any distance between them, so the cut was necessary.

After I cut the AA midpipe, everything fit good. The midpipe definetly makes a huge difference in sound. It is louder, more pops and Deeper. Sound is good.

Yesterday I drove and there was no issues. Today when I drove, at low rpms there is a slight drone and it sounds like two pipes are hitting each other (not sure if any pipes are actually hitting, just the best way I can describe the sound I am hearing). This only happens when the exhaust is cold and at low rpms.

Anyone have any suggestions? I figured the AA midpipe would have fit perfectly after I cut my exhaust pipe exactly as was described. Did anyone else have fitment problems? I am just wondering if I got one of the pipes defective. Any input on the drone and pipe sound at low rpms? I did make sure everything was very tight and sitting correct. Even revved the car as it was still on the lift and made sure there was no air leaks or weird noises. While the car was warm, I did not hear any problems.
Quick tip. Did you cut with a reciprocating saw? Next time use this tool. Much easier to make the cut and it is always straight. Cheers.
Attached Images

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 1
jninja514.50
      11-29-2018, 10:59 PM   #7
Zero_Cool
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 Imola 6spd

I second the spacer/washers for the brace. The shop who installed mine actually had them listed on the install invoice lol. They didn’t report any issues with install. I have my valves open and unplugged so sometimes I hear them rattle. Eventually I’ll get an axle back system but it sounds great the way it is now (Stock DPs, CP, AA mid).
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 03:29 PM   #8
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy L Garage View Post
Been there done that
You should do the following:
1. Use spacers (either 4 washers or a nut) to space out the brace from the body. This will give you enough clearance
2. Also check the pipe around where it turns after the downpipes - you may need to bend the heat shield in that space a bit.
3. Check the rear - it comes really close around the rear-dif area by a suspension component. Shake your exhaust and if it hits then you may need to realign it again
As others have stated, the spacers Solved the issue. All sounds good now. Definitely a big upgrade from stock. More pops, Louder and Deeper.

Thanks to everyone for the input.
      12-01-2018, 12:51 AM   #9
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Odd, as AA has a modified brace to cure such problem. I guess you didn’t get one in your kit.

But glad you sorted it out and like it
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 01:27 AM   #10
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell325 View Post
Odd, as AA has a modified brace to cure such problem. I guess you didn’t get one in your kit.

But glad you sorted it out and like it
They don't include it unless purchased with the new "race" exhaust (valved system)

Don't ask me why.

I put a total of 3 washers per side on the brace to provide enough clearance when I had the AA mid pipe
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2018, 12:02 AM   #11
Everling
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 ZCP M3

I had the same issue with the midpipe and brace while installing it over my thanksgiving break. Drove me nuts while I drove it around for a week before I had some time again to put some washers in. Did the same and used 3 washers per bolt.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 08:39 AM   #12
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Seems like a lot of issues for what it is. 1K for a pipe that has fitment issues that requires tweaking and adding washers for something an exhaust shop could do by cutting out your secondary cats and resonator for under $400. I guess it makes sense for those that don't want to touch the stock exhaust system...

Also how big is the diameter of the AA mid pipe? The stock system is dual 2.5" so isn't the AA pipe actually flow less if its under 5"?

Alan
      12-07-2018, 11:05 AM   #13
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Seems like a lot of issues for what it is. 1K for a pipe that has fitment issues that requires tweaking and adding washers for something an exhaust shop could do by cutting out your secondary cats and resonator for under $400. I guess it makes sense for those that don't want to touch the stock exhaust system...

Also how big is the diameter of the AA mid pipe? The stock system is dual 2.5" so isn't the AA pipe actually flow less if its under 5"?

Alan
Just comparing area, a 5" diameter pipe has double the area of a pair of 2.5" pipes.
      12-07-2018, 11:33 AM   #14
cwazy1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmartyPants View Post
Just comparing area, a 5" diameter pipe has double the area of a pair of 2.5" pipes.
this is true. 3.14r^2
Appreciate 2
      12-07-2018, 12:20 PM   #15
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post

Alan
I think the aa pipe is good for those that do it themselves, like I did. I wouldn't be able to cut my own resonators out and then weld another pipe. So I would have to give it to a shop to do it. I like working on my own cars. On the other hand if people give the car in to a shop to do it, then I guess cutting the secondary cats is the way to go.

I am not sure if the sound is different between cutting the cats out and the aa mid-pipe.

On the other hand, it took me about 1 hour to install the pipe. Including cutting my oem exhaust. A few washers solved the problem I was having with the rattling, so overall, it wasn't a bad install. I definitely like the sound a lot more then was with stock midpipe. Plus I got the pipe on sale on black Friday for $800 brand new. Can't beat that.
      12-07-2018, 12:43 PM   #16
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Plus I got the pipe on sale on black Friday for $800 brand new. Can't beat that.
I knew I should have shopped around better. Couldn't help but feel like I was getting ripped off for the AA mid at $999 "Black Friday deal" but I jumped on it anyways. Oh well, my own fault I guess. $800 is so much more reasonable than 1 thousand for some straight pipes.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 12:48 PM   #17
materialdistractions
Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
I think the aa pipe is good for those that do it themselves, like I did. I wouldn't be able to cut my own resonators out and then weld another pipe. So I would have to give it to a shop to do it. I like working on my own cars. On the other hand if people give the car in to a shop to do it, then I guess cutting the secondary cats is the way to go.

I am not sure if the sound is different between cutting the cats out and the aa mid-pipe.

On the other hand, it took me about 1 hour to install the pipe. Including cutting my oem exhaust. A few washers solved the problem I was having with the rattling, so overall, it wasn't a bad install. I definitely like the sound a lot more then was with stock midpipe. Plus I got the pipe on sale on black Friday for $800 brand new. Can't beat that.
Great deal! If you don't mind, can you PM me the vendor.
      12-07-2018, 03:42 PM   #18
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by materialdistractions View Post
Got it off of eBay. Got a great deal on it and eBay was offering 15% discount on anything that day. So ended up being $800.
      12-08-2018, 09:09 PM   #19
PSI Power
Twin Power Goodness
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 ZCP SO

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by materialdistractions View Post
Got it off of eBay. Got a great deal on it and eBay was offering 15% discount on anything that day. So ended up being $800.
Good find. I also got the $999 Black Friday deal. :
'06 Honda S2000, Laguna Blue - Current
Appreciate 1
ntg442888.50
      12-09-2018, 10:03 AM   #20
materialdistractions
Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I went the same route except with eBay's recent 10% discount. I didn't get it down to $800, but I got it for less than the Black Friday pricing. The money I saved can then go towards getting it intstalled.
      12-16-2018, 02:27 AM   #21
RTCalifornia
Love2speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 Conv. zcp 6M

Garage List
2021 Jeep Rubicon  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2019 BMW M4 Cv  [0.00]
Yes it will produce more back pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwazy1 View Post
this is true. 3.14r^2
+1. Simple calculations. 2 x area of the circle of stock 2.5" pipe yields much more than a 3". The tube would need to be close to 4.5" just to be equivalent. Just a thought...
      12-16-2018, 09:49 PM   #22
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

The AA mid pipe isn't 3'' it's a 3.5'' oval. Even though the area of two 2.5'' pipes are larger than the area of a single 3'', there are more frictional losses in two pipes vs one, albeit minor or not. The flow rate would probably be similar between the two styles if I were to guess.. AA mid pipe also deletes the secondary cats.
Appreciate 0