GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

06-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #23
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I want a tape deck... the new miley cyrus cd is coming out only in that format.
      06-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #24
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Where on Earth did you gather that statistical data from?
Lol...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 08:46 AM   #25
Np2014
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Bsm/Sb

Man i feel like grandpa over here! I am 35 single with no kids and love listening to some old school cd's from back in the day since music nowdays is pure dog shit.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 08:49 AM   #26
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Np2014
Man i feel like grandpa over here! I am 35 single with no kids and love listening to some old school cd's from back in the day since music nowdays is pure dog shit.
Same here. I almost never listen to music on the radio.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 09:02 AM   #27
dreamsongs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 - E92 M3 - 335i vert

I completely disagree. I have a 100+ CD collection and I love the fact I can store all those CD's on my BMW hard drive, every single song, not just the hits.

I still listen to CD's only because they are better quality. CD's are uncompressed .wav files while everything you hear today are mp3's. Not the same level of quality even if it's 192kb.

If you have an ear at all you could listen to the difference between the 2 formats, if you don't then it doesn't matter anyway. I say leave the damn CD in there. It doesn't take much room. What else are you gonna put there anyway, a cheap piece of plastic ? Plus, I like buttons, lots of them...

Last edited by dreamsongs; 06-24-2014 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #28
purdyawesome
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3, 2014 F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsongs View Post
I completely disagree. I have a 100+ CD collection and I love the fact I can store all those CD's on my BMW hard drive, every single song, not just the hits.

I still listen to CD's only because they are better quality. CD's are uncompressed .wav files while everything you hear today are mp3's. Not the same level of quality even if it's 192kb.

If you have an ear at all you could listen to the difference between the 2 formats, if you don't then it doesn't matter anyway. I say leave the damn CD in there. It doesn't take much room. What else are you gonna put there anyway, a cheap piece of plastic ? Plus, I like buttons, lots of them...
I agree with the audio quality difference. However, the .wav files are a PITA to load into both of the hard drives on my two cars. On my Wrangler, the entire album needs to be played through at normal speed - even if muted. It rips in real-time. How stupid is that! If the M3 handles the process of loading the laser discs -- I mean compact discs more efficiently, do tell. Perhaps then I'll dig out some old albums for some high quality jamming. But the physical discs will stay in the crawl space where they belong!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #29
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

They need to replace it with a turntable. Both 33 and 45 rpm. And if we're talking sound quality, how about a tube amp?

Cheers.
      06-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #30
Swancoat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Where on Earth did you gather that statistical data from?
Don't get me wrong, I fully agree with you on all the useless complaining (and I have no issue with the CD Slot), but he DID say, "I'D GUESS"... Not like he was presenting that stat as a fact or anything.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #31
OrionHak
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsongs View Post

When you store your CDs on your BMW hard drive, they are ripped and down sampled. It does not store in a lossless format. I believe I read in another thread somewhere they are saved as 128kbit wma files? That's pretty shabby.

You're better off ripping them yourself into a lossless format and using a USB stick in order to store all of your music for playback. Also don't forget that lossless files are much bigger than compressed mp3s.

While ripping a few CDs here and there (if you ever run across them) is nice to have, using the BMW HD to store and manage your CD collection likely not the best option...especially for anyone concerned with audio fidelity.

Personally, I now subscribe monthly to a music streaming service (currently using Google Music, but will likely switch to Spotify for the BMW integration) and have access to almost any song at any time. The slight loss in quality is worth having access to anything that you want to hear at any time without having to waste the countless hours managing a personal media collection.

CD who?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #32
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionHak View Post

CD who?
CD what?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #33
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Np2014 View Post
Funny you should say that because last weekend I was in Whole Foods making small talk with the 20ish alterno cashier - she said she was going to spend her weekend listening to her new CDs since she just loved the old school feel of them.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #34
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Funny you should say that because last weekend I was in Whole Foods making small talk with the 20ish alterno cashier - she said she was going to spend her weekend listening to her new CDs since she just loved the old school feel of them.

+1

For whatever reason I just can't get into streaming. I don't stream movies nor music.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #35
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Same here. I almost never listen to music on the radio.
100% bluetooth for me - I just download Google Music to my phone and stream so I don't have worry about reception.

As for the buttons, I love the configurability - I'd be bummed it that wasn't there.

As for the slot, it'd be better if it was CD pop-out tray ... then we could do a cup holder mod on it
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #36
OrionHak
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

CDs are akin to, as Baba Booey would say, pieces of vinyl. Heh.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #37
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Hipster Central

Quote:
+1

For whatever reason I just can't get into streaming. I don't stream movies nor music.
You're missing out on "Orange is the new black" if that's the case. GF got me into it, actually pretty decent.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 03:39 PM   #38
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:

As for the slot, it'd be better if it was CD pop-out tray ... then we could do a cup holder mod on it

Or the "hand me my secret condom" tray mod for the emergency moments when you want to break in your driver's seat and have her boobs pressed up against the wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
Hipster Central

You're missing out on "Orange is the new black" if that's the case. GF got me into it, actually pretty decent.
I've heard good things about that show.
Appreciate 0