Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

11-10-2018, 05:46 PM   #1
craggd
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 , 1988 M5, 1980 635CSi

Disabling the motion senor trunk opener

Is there a way to disable the motion detecting trunk opener without going to the dealer? About 1/2 the time when I put my car cover on the trunk pops, very annoying. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 11:34 PM   #2
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Unplug it...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 11:53 PM   #3
yjypm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

FEM_BODY > CAM_SMART_OPENER = nicht_aktiv

Instagram:catpupu_f80
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #4
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Easiest solution: take your key fob out of your pocket and put it somewhere else before putting on the car cover. The trunk lid will not pop open if the fob is not in close proximity.

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 02:33 PM   #5
craggd
Rep

I would think there is a better solution than these...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 01:11 PM   #6
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by craggd View Post
Tape over it?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 01:28 PM   #7
DJM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

When I wash the car the hose sets off the trunk. I will have to check if the car is unlocked if the trunk will still open even if the key is not near by.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 05:21 PM   #8
yjypm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM4 View Post
When I wash the car the hose sets off the trunk. I will have to check if the car is unlocked if the trunk will still open even if the key is not near by.
Happens to me all the time even after I installed cf diffuser. Simply coded the car solved the problem:
FEM_BODY > CAM_SMART_OPENER = nicht_aktiv

Instagram:catpupu_f80
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 07:48 PM   #9
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It took you more than six weeks to say that you didn't like these solutions?

You asked, we answered, although some solutions are a lot more involved.

And BTW, the ONLY reason that this is happening is that you are standing near the trunk with your key in your pocket and moving your foot near the sensor. Change either of these conditions and this won't happen.

The dealer will probably laugh at you if you take this "very annoying" "problem" to them and will probably suggest that you just take the key out of your pocket when putting the cover on. But apparently this simple solution is not acceptable?

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 01:40 AM   #10
craggd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
It took you more than six weeks to say that you didn't like these solutions?

You asked, we answered, although some solutions are a lot more involved.

And BTW, the ONLY reason that this is happening is that you are standing near the trunk with your key in your pocket and moving your foot near the sensor. Change either of these conditions and this won't happen.

The dealer will probably laugh at you if you take this "very annoying" "problem" to them and will probably suggest that you just take the key out of your pocket when putting the cover on. But apparently this simple solution is not acceptable?
I am sure there is a dealer solution to this problem. I have usually found car enthusiast to be more helpful rather then stating the obvious and being indignant about it. Its ok, however you get your jollies, I will solve what is an annoy problem to me and it appears to others as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 08:13 PM   #11
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am sure there is a dealer solution to this problem. I have usually found car enthusiast to be more helpful rather then (sic) stating the obvious and being indignant about it. Its (sic) ok, however you get your jollies, I will solve what is an annoy (sic) problem to me and it appears to others as well.
Ok, but after you go to your dealer for a "solution" to your "annoy" problem, be sure to check back and let us know what they said. The only other solution besides just removing the key fob from your pocket when putting your car cover on is to disable the kick-to-open feature.

Oh, and you put way too much faith in your dealer to "fix" this problem. I doubt they will do anything because it's designed to work this way.

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 11:46 PM   #12
climax_e92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

Unplug it. Its behind the diffuser
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 12:35 AM   #13
milk242
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

When a dealer installs the m performance diffuser they are supposed to code the car to disable the trunk motion. So if you are not capable of coding the car yourself, you can either pay someone to do it or go to the dealer and ask/pay them to do it.
20 Tesla Model 3
23 Audi R8 (on order, never came )
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 01:27 AM   #14
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Use the switch in the glove box...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 09:45 PM   #15
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
While it's true that if the switch in the glove box is set to "Lock" the trunk won't open by using the kick-to-open feature, but you also can't open the trunk with the remote, or by pressing the switch under the license plate, or by pushing the button under the headlight switch. In other words, it's not possible to access the trunk at all, unless the switch is set to "Unlock". This is hardly a better solution to a problem that already has a simple solution.

The switch in the glove box is designed to be used when valeting the car, to prevent the valet from accessing your trunk. When you utilize this feature, you set the switch to "Lock", then remove the physical key from the key fob, physically lock the glove box with the key, take the key with you, and leave the fob for the valet.

If the OP chose to use this as a solution, before he gets out of the car he would have to remember to open the glove box, move the switch to "Lock", and then put his cover on. When he takes the cover off and gets into the car, he would have to remember to open the glove box and move the switch to "Unlock" otherwise he won't be able to access the trunk until he moves the switch to "Unlock". Since he doesn't like the solution of just removing the key from his pocket when putting the cover on, I doubt he would find this solution to his liking either because this method is even more complicated.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 09:52 PM   #16
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Quote:
While it's true that if the switch in the glove box is set to "Lock" the trunk won't open by using the kick-to-open feature, but you also can't open the trunk with the remote, or by pressing the switch under the license plate, or by pushing the button under the headlight switch. In other words, it's not possible to access the trunk at all, unless the switch is set to "Unlock". This is hardly a better solution to a problem that already has a simple solution.

The switch in the glove box is designed to be used when valeting the car, to prevent the valet from accessing your trunk. When you utilize this feature, you set the switch to "Lock", then remove the physical key from the key fob, physically lock the glove box with the key, take the key with you, and leave the fob for the valet.

If the OP chose to use this as a solution, before he gets out of the car he would have to remember to open the glove box, move the switch to "Lock", and then put his cover on. When he takes the cover off and gets into the car, he would have to remember to open the glove box and move the switch to "Unlock" otherwise he won't be able to access the trunk until he moves the switch to "Unlock". Since he doesn't like the solution of just removing the key from his pocket when putting the cover on, I doubt he would find this solution to his liking either because this method is even more complicated.
He can leave the cover in his car instead of trunk or simply remove the cover from the trunk before switching the trunk lock.

I take my washing supplies out of the trunk and then lock the trunk via the switch to keep the trunk from opening during washing. It literally takes less than a few seconds.

I guess you assume everyone wants to 100% disable the feature altogether?

Edit: I didn't know your solution was to walk away from your key until now. Where should someone put their key in OP's scenario or in mine (washing the car)?

Your solution to OP of opening his trunk leaving it open or leaving his cover out while finding a place to safely store the key out of reach is the most impractical and likely also the most unsafe option. No way would I be placing my key fob out of my pocket so that someone can have the opportunity to snatch it.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 12:06 PM   #17
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
He can leave the cover in his car instead of trunk or simply remove the cover from the trunk before switching the trunk lock.

I take my washing supplies out of the trunk and then lock the trunk via the switch to keep the trunk from opening during washing. It literally takes less than a few seconds.

I guess you assume everyone wants to 100% disable the feature altogether?

Edit: I didn't know your solution was to walk away from your key until now. Where should someone put their key in OP's scenario or in mine (washing the car)?

Your solution to OP of opening his trunk leaving it open or leaving his cover out while finding a place to safely store the key out of reach is the most impractical and likely also the most unsafe option. No way would I be placing my key fob out of my pocket so that someone can have the opportunity to snatch it.
I have no idea where the OP stores his cover and I don't care. It doesn't make any difference.

I never suggested that I want everyone to "100% disable the feature altogether". Others have suggested that the OP disconnect the sensor or code it out, but I didn't make that suggestion. Neither of those solutions were satisfactory to the OP.

When I wash my car, to keep the car from locking/unlocking, I put my key on a 3M hook that I stuck to the side of my detailing cart in the garage or I put it inside the house on top of the washer in the laundry room. But I have a garage that's part of the house.

I also never suggested that the OP leave his trunk open. If he is not putting his cover on near a garage, literally all he has to do is take the key out of his pocket and set it on the ground near one of the wheels. How unsafe is it to put the key on the ground when you're in the immediate vicinity? I'm glad I don't live in any area that would be that unsafe. If this is that much of a security risk and there are apparently people lurking around ready to snatch the key, put it in your sock. The key just has to be more than about a foot away from the fob sensor in the trunk lid (not the motion sensor near the rear valence). There's a technical paper from BMW that explains how the Comfort Access system works and the fob has to be in close proximity to the sensor.

Apparently, different strokes for different folks. My method works for me, although my M4 has the M Performance CF Rear Diffuser and I don't have to worry about the trunk popping open. My wife's M3 doesn't have the CF Rear Diffuser, so she just hangs her key on the detailing cart when she's washing the car and the car doesn't lock/unlock and the trunk doesn't pop open. Works for us.

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 04:04 PM   #18
craggd
Rep

Unpluging, or coding off, are good solutions (thanks) I just have to figure it out or have the dealer do it. I use the cover at home and work at least 3x a day and to keep pulling the key out of my pocket and tossing it aside obviously would work but is annoying to have to do. To be honest it is a pretty unnecessary, and to me useless, feature as I have never wanted or needed to use my foot to open the trunk. It has nothing to do with washing the car or the fact I store the cover in the trunk. When you pull the cover over the corners/ rear bumper the trunk lid pops if you have the key in your pocket (about 50% of the time).

Last edited by craggd; 01-12-2019 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 04:15 PM   #19
cionide
Second Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Is there a way to disable the motion detecting trunk opener without going to the dealer? About 1/2 the time when I put my car cover on the trunk pops, very annoying. Thanks
You think it's a problem when you are putting a car cover on? I have it happen almost every time i'm pressure washing the back of the car...
      01-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #20
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cionide View Post
Quote:
You think it's a problem when you are putting a car cover on? I have it happen almost every time i'm pressure washing the back of the car...
Before washing use the switch in the glove box. It will stop the trunk from opening while you're washing it.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 06:13 PM   #21
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

I actually use it quite often. It's a car, it's meant to carry shit around especially after a grocery run. Instead of putting all the bags down I just swipe my feet under the bumper and pop it. Comes in real handy when fireman carrying a dead body. Damn them bodies are heavy!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 12:32 AM   #22
craggd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danchee View Post
I actually use it quite often. It's a car, it's meant to carry shit around especially after a grocery run. Instead of putting all the bags down I just swipe my feet under the bumper and pop it.
Damn do you wear high heels too?? Real men just hold two bags in one arm and use the key to pop it! Its not an SUV or minivan!

Seriously, have never used it (intentionally) nor do I think I ever will. Happy you find it useful, I just want to be able to turn it off. To each their own, auto makers should undertand that.
Appreciate 0