Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

01-18-2022, 07:11 AM   #1
gbux
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 competition

anyone successfully buy a car from the bronx?

I live in the suburbs of nyc and whenever im cruising autotrader or other sites im inundated with offers for what seem to be too good to be true deals on m3/4s in the bronx. My bs meter immediately goes off but man im curious if anyone has ever dealt with these people and came off with a deal
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 07:50 AM   #2
shwinturbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

if you have to ask...
Appreciate 4
      01-18-2022, 08:09 AM   #3
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

The worst roads I've driven on have been in the Bronx. Not saying the cars they're selling lived there, but if they did you can bet they've taken a good beating.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2022, 10:25 AM   #4
Ovrtim4
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

I went someplace in the Bronx to look at a Porsche Panamera turbo s. I heard the first thing to go with the car is the airbags so I ask the car guy. How are the airbags? His response they are good. So I ask for the key. He goes whoa buddy wat are you gonna do. Mind you my daughter is sitting in the car I say to him check the airbags. He goes you gonna pay for the car. ? Now I'm confused and go u think I'm gonna crash the car ? He goes how else u gonna check the airbags. Now I look at him and ask do you know anything about this car. He says no. Long story short the Bronx is horrible
Appreciate 3
The_Werm212.00
DocL1927.00
      01-18-2022, 04:57 PM   #5
KACHM3
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: G80 Comp

Garage List
22 G80 🔥 ...  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovrtim4 View Post
I went someplace in the Bronx to look at a Porsche Panamera turbo s. I heard the first thing to go with the car is the airbags so I ask the car guy. How are the airbags? His response they are good. So I ask for the key. He goes whoa buddy wat are you gonna do. Mind you my daughter is sitting in the car I say to him check the airbags. He goes you gonna pay for the car. ? Now I'm confused and go u think I'm gonna crash the car ? He goes how else u gonna check the airbags. Now I look at him and ask do you know anything about this car. He says no. Long story short the Bronx is horrible

Here's my story with the Bronx..I was looking for a M3. And I found one a yas marina. Anyways I see the car and it was at a Nissan dealership..Teddy Nissan to be exact. I get to The dealership and one of the sales rep went to take the car to go and get food….😐 when he told me that he was going to get the car wash..Bullshit. I get to see the car I fell in love with it I saw that there was scratches on the bumper scratches on the rear the car was not in great shape for a low mileage car. I sit in the car and he goes to me "do not rev the engine" like why the fuck would I do that? I got so annoyed and wasn't happy that I left.

Another dealership was 26 motors…I went to look at a M3cs…and I hear down the block tire skids and it's some guy in the car coming back from where ever he's coming from? I walked off the lot.

The Bronx is hot and cold. But private sales are ok. Long story short. Do your homework do your investigation and pay for the Carfax or request it when you are looking for the car…sometime carfax is shit too but know what you looking for..paint, gaps, trims, take your finger along the paint, hood, hood bolts if they are scratched, shit like that….I got my M3 at Brooklyn auto sales with Adam..I couldn't be any happier 👍🏼
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2022, 07:20 PM   #6
agentrnge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 6MT, 2001 740iL

Nope.. I checked out an e38 and a lexus LS400 in a shady bronx lot. ( 15 years back ), and an f80 a few years ago at a larger dealer. They were all absolutely beat up. hard pass. M3 had like 8k miles and looked like it was washed with a screw driver and hammer. It was so sad.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 11:48 AM   #7
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

I see this type of stuff too, the prices then sometimes find the issues are more obvious (bad title, accident, visible damage), but the other thing is the dealership itself like hidden fees (that can be thousands), demanding you use their 'banks', etc.

And again, especially in this market, if something looks too good to be true, it is.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 11:50 AM   #8
paulo_f80m3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01' E46 325i / 16' F80 M3

Garage List
2001 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I avoid buying vehicles from NY/NJ Period.
      12-23-2022, 08:02 PM   #9
HotRodM4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
  [10.00]
I stick with the BMW dealers and CPO’s.
      12-24-2022, 08:27 AM   #10
RNJ15
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodM4 View Post
I stick with the BMW dealers and CPO’s.
https://youtu.be/cCpl1kIGe9U

I wouldn’t always blindly trust dealers.

CPO’s tho definitely. If not might end up with that

2020 BMW M4 ZCP
2018 BMW M4 ZCP (Retired)
2017 BMW F30 (Retired)
Appreciate 1
HotRodM4684.00
      12-31-2022, 12:03 AM   #11
SRod321
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp

Garage List
2017 M3  [8.50]
Stay AWAY from Bronx mom and pop used car dealership. They ALL use the bait n switch tactic. When I was looking for my F80, i actually went to first see an M4 ZCP I think at Teddy Mitsubishi. I called and asked if the car was available and I got a resounding yes. Scheduled to go see it the next day, show up because I had an "appointment" to see the car. When I get there I'm waiting for about 30 minutes when this shady guy comes up with an attitude, "can I help you?" I said "yeah I have an appointment to see the M4..." he looks at me and asks "the blue one?" I said yes. He looks at this dry erase board and points at some numbers and said, "yeah it sold yesterday around 5pm" with his attitude... whatever just bad luck right? So About a week later, I find a black F80 M3, Sakir Orange interior, low miles no accidents, and the same place had the same car higher miles with an accident on the title. I ran both VINs. I call up, and specifically ask if the NON-accident vehicle is there, lady says yes, I also say, I'm not going there to waste my time so please, if it's not there tell me, and she was like "oh no it's here come by". I show up 30 minutes later, sure enough, the car magically sold the night before at 5pm.... And I had explained to him what I told the phone rep.... but they had a another one they could show me. I ask if it's been in an accident, the guy hung his head and was like yes... at least THIS guy apologized... but I learned my lesson. Stay away from the bronx dealerships.
I DID however get mine from a private luxury car dealer in Deer Park who was pretty straight forward and I'm happy with my car. Would've gone CPO but none had what I was looking for in their inventory. I'd say stick to CPO if you can.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 11:21 AM   #12
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

My cousin owned a big used car dealership on Jerome Ave back in the 80s and 90s. I'd never buy car anywhere in the Bronx.
      01-03-2023, 02:23 PM   #13
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
My cousin owned a big used car dealership on Jerome Ave back in the 80s and 90s. I'd never buy car anywhere in the Bronx.
100% agree - anywhere in the boroughs, these cars are far from clean. Look for OEM dealers in CT or NJ that have pre-owned inventory, even then its crapshoot. All depends how OCD you are with condition of the car.
Appreciate 1
DocL1927.00
      01-28-2023, 09:46 AM   #14
Dmytro
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 YMB 6 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccxcv23 View Post
https://youtu.be/cCpl1kIGe9U

I wouldn’t always blindly trust dealers.

CPO’s tho definitely. If not might end up with that

CPO’s could also be horrible. The cars that were used on track with “25k miles” at Monticello were beat to crap. Turned on and straight to redline. And then when the new M’s came out or if Monticello wanted to update the fleet (Facelift etc), the cars went right back to BMW to be sold to customers. And yes, all of them were CPO. Although the odometer read 25k those cars may aswell have had 250k. I gotta say tho, the fact that none of them blew up propelled me to buy a BMW (not CPO). Gotta give credit where credit is due.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 10:54 PM   #15
MrFrosty's
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Not to beat a dead horse, but unless you are truly chasing the bottom dollar I would not recommend at all. Exception I guess would be you are looking to modify/track the car and don't care about condition or history as much.

Most Bronx dealers are indy shops who's business model basically relies on big bank revolving credit facilities. Hence their goal is not necessarily to build a relationship or be the "spokesperson" of a brand but rather to move units and to ideally move them with backend financing where they can claim a 1-2% spread on each deal. These dealers do not care if your car is repo'd in 2 months because they got you a 17% APR deal. They will always have customers because 9/10 people shop for vehicles by going on Autotrader and sorting lowest to highest. In a metropolitan city like NYC, you will always have a captive audience who will walk through those doors.

Not to say they are all shoddy. But imo it is never best practice to buy from folks who get nearly all their cars from auctions or other deals. Being able to ask a private buyer or even a large franchise dealer who has serviced a car for all it's life is a extremely valuable part of car buying.

Just my 2C
Appreciate 1
HotRodM4684.00
      01-30-2023, 06:34 PM   #16
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
The worst roads I've driven on have been in the Bronx. Not saying the cars they're selling lived there, but if they did you can bet they've taken a good beating.
Yup. I bought a benz that lived it’s early life there and it needed a lot of suspension work.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 10:17 AM   #17
evoix
Major
Rep
Drives: X3m Evo IX Evo X

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbux View Post
I live in the suburbs of nyc and whenever im cruising autotrader or other sites im inundated with offers for what seem to be too good to be true deals on m3/4s in the bronx. My bs meter immediately goes off but man im curious if anyone has ever dealt with these people and came off with a deal
I don't even bother anymore.
I tried a few times:
1) they gave me an edited carfax that took out the fact that the car hit a tree
2) fine print said i had to finance through them at almost 12%

I gave up on the deals you are seeing online. Most of the time they are a waste of time.
Appreciate 1
HotRodM4684.00