Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-14-2021, 02:53 PM   #1
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
Track Pad Opinions and Street Pad Compatibility

I've read a million of threads pitting these pads against one another from 2015-about 2018; curious if anyone has any newer impressions or opinions and have a few answers to some questions.

For my next set of street pads, the recurring theme on this forum appears to be the Akebonos ceramics for a low-dust option instead of OEM. I'm looking to get track pads that are compatible / wouldn't need to re-bed the STREET pads - I'll obviously bed the track ones.

As for the track ones, it appears that it's the XBox/Playstation or iPhone/Android debate, where one thread vilifies one brand and the next thread vilifies the opposite. I'm looking at the:

- Ferodo DS1.11 or DSUNO
- PFC08 or PFC11
- Pagid RSL29

All I'm looking for is minimal OEM iron rotor wear and ease of use/compatibility with either OEM or Akebono street pads. Not terribly concerned with things like initial bite, release characteristics, etc as it'll be my first set of track pads and I'll probably try a new brand my second time around. Would it make more sense to street Ferodo DS2500s and track DS1.11s since they're similar materials and wouldn't need rebedding after swaps? Is that negligible with Akebonos?

Last edited by Equilibrandt; 04-14-2021 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 03:44 PM   #2
jim1013yyf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

I'd use Ferodo DS2500 for street + any of their race pads for track, since there is no rebedding needed in between pad swaps.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 11:14 PM   #3
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

I use stoptech sport pads for street (low dust, quiet) and super cheap! (about $200 for all four wheels). You can even buy them on Amazon.

For track I use DS1.11s. No issues swapping back and forth as long as you bed any pads in their new state.

Honestly though you can't go wrong with either PFC08, RS29 or DS1.11. Many forum members have used them all on the track with good results.

The key to using both street/track pads is proper bedding the first time you use them.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 11:24 AM   #4
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1013yyf View Post
I'd use Ferodo DS2500 for street + any of their race pads for track, since there is no rebedding needed in between pad swaps.
That's what I'm slightly leaning towards, thanks for the confirmation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
I use stoptech sport pads for street (low dust, quiet) and super cheap! (about $200 for all four wheels). You can even buy them on Amazon.

For track I use DS1.11s. No issues swapping back and forth as long as you bed any pads in their new state.

Honestly though you can't go wrong with either PFC08, RS29 or DS1.11. Many forum members have used them all on the track with good results.

The key to using both street/track pads is proper bedding the first time you use them.
Thanks for the info - do you re-bed your street pads when you swap back to them or do you let your cold race pads scrape the layer off and then swap to streets?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 12:01 PM   #5
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspaulsen View Post
I've read a million of threads pitting these pads against one another from 2015-about 2018; curious if anyone has any newer impressions or opinions and have a few answers to some questions.

For my next set of street pads, the recurring theme on this forum appears to be the Akebonos ceramics for a low-dust option instead of OEM. I'm looking to get track pads that are compatible / wouldn't need to re-bed the STREET pads - I'll obviously bed the track ones.

As for the track ones, it appears that it's the XBox/Playstation or iPhone/Android debate, where one thread vilifies one brand and the next thread vilifies the opposite. I'm looking at the:

- Ferodo DS1.11 or DSUNO
- PFC08 or PFC11
- Pagid RSL29

All I'm looking for is minimal OEM iron rotor wear and ease of use/compatibility with either OEM or Akebono street pads. Not terribly concerned with things like initial bite, release characteristics, etc as it'll be my first set of track pads and I'll probably try a new brand my second time around. Would it make more sense to street Ferodo DS2500s and track DS1.11s since they're similar materials and wouldn't need rebedding after swaps? Is that negligible with Akebonos?
Used all three, you can’t go wrong but the first two would be my preference.

Brake pads are kind of like religion or politics, everyone’s opinion is different
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 11:50 PM   #6
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspaulsen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1013yyf View Post
That's what I'm slightly leaning towards, thanks for the confirmation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post

Thanks for the info - do you re-bed your street pads when you swap back to them or do you let your cold race pads scrape the layer off and then swap to streets?
I don't Rebed when going from track back to stock. But I do drive with the race pads for week before I switch back to stock just to clean things up. No issues
Appreciate 0