European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-09-2021, 05:28 PM   #1
F82ny
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 m4

Assistance reading alignment printout

Hey guys,

I got my m4 Competition aligned today from a very reputable M performance shop and I have a question on the final result. The left front camber (circled) is in the red zone @ 1.9 degrees but it says the range is 1.1-1.9 degrees. So is it in range or no and if it is range why is it in the red zone? Perhaps it’s in red to bring attention that it’s at the tail end of specification? From a literal point of view, 1.9 is within 1.1-1.9 but I’m not an alignment expert. Appreciate any input here.

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 07:29 PM   #2
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

I would not focus on color too much. May be 1.9 is considered outside of the norm and thatswhy it is colored red. -1.9 is completely fine camber for the front if you dont go to the track. (For track need at least -2.2 or 2.5)
Appreciate 1
F82ny12.50
      04-10-2021, 12:38 PM   #3
F82ny
Private
Rep

So let’s forget the color then. Is the left front camber technically in specification at 1.9 degrees when the range is 1.1 - 1.9?
Appreciate 1
warp_ix29.50
      04-10-2021, 01:28 PM   #4
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82ny View Post
So let's forget the color then. Is the left front camber technically in specification at 1.9 degrees when the range is 1.1 - 1.9?
It's totally fine. As a matter of fact, your alignment looks very good and even compared to others alignment sheets I've seen.

Keep in mind that camber and toe are dynamic — as in they change as the suspension does it's work. Your camber even changes when you sit in the car.

How much are you lowered btw? I ask because it's not like there is a way to change front camber all that much with the OEM top hats and OEM lower control arms. So your -1.9 and -1.8 is due to natural camber of the McPherson strut as you lower the car.

You can dial in specific front camber if you have camber plates.
Appreciate 1
F82ny12.50
      04-10-2021, 02:01 PM   #5
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

You know if they had printed it out in black n white he would not be on here asking The red ruined his day kinda like my old red Alfa and NC trooper
Appreciate 1
F82ny12.50
      04-10-2021, 02:22 PM   #6
F82ny
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
It's totally fine. As a matter of fact, your alignment looks very good and even compared to others alignment sheets I've seen.

Keep in mind that camber and toe are dynamic — as in they change as the suspension does it's work. Your camber even changes when you sit in the car.

How much are you lowered btw? I ask because it's not like there is a way to change front camber all that much with the OEM top hats and OEM lower control arms. So your -1.9 and -1.8 is due to natural camber of the McPherson strut as you lower the car.

You can dial in specific front camber if you have camber plates.
Not quite sure but there’s about a 1 finger gap upfront and I’m on BMW HAS. Appreciate the insightful reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower_and_hounds View Post
You know if they had printed it out in black n white he would not be on here asking The red ruined his day kinda like my old red Alfa and NC trooper
LOL... 100% if this was black and white I wouldn’t be asking. I’ve just always done a quick scan after any alignment and as long as I didn’t see any red I was happy. This is just irking me.

It might also be that the end of the range is 1.90 degrees and mine could have been 1.93 degrees but the machine wasn’t set up for hundredths
Appreciate 0