Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

09-27-2019, 08:36 AM   #1
exVtekGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none yet

windshield replacement shop?

if anyone has any shop recommendation for windshield replacement, let me know. thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 09:19 AM   #2
ra2289
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

I just recently had to replace my windshield due to a rock and ended up going through my insurance and using Safelite Autoglass.

I was offered OEM or Non-OEM but went with the OEM due to some issues the tech. mentioned he'd seen come up with the non-OEM glass. Mainly the rear view mirror not mounting/aligning properly and interfering with the camera calibrations that need to be run. If you run into calibration issues—which Safelite also does—the dealership won't touch it if it's aftermarket glass, or so I was told. I have HUD and cameras so wanted to make sure everything worked correctly.

Everything was done at my job so that was a plus for my schedule.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 11:57 AM   #3
exVtekGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2289 View Post
I just recently had to replace my windshield due to a rock and ended up going through my insurance and using Safelite Autoglass.

I was offered OEM or Non-OEM but went with the OEM due to some issues the tech. mentioned he'd seen come up with the non-OEM glass. Mainly the rear view mirror not mounting/aligning properly and interfering with the camera calibrations that need to be run. If you run into calibration issues—which Safelite also does—the dealership won't touch it if it's aftermarket glass, or so I was told. I have HUD and cameras so wanted to make sure everything worked correctly.

Everything was done at my job so that was a plus for my schedule.
thanks for the feedback. any issue with seal or increased nose? I'm a bit paranoid after issues with my Prius windshield was replaced as part of accident repair and had issues with leaks and noise.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 04:08 PM   #4
ra2289
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by exVtekGuy View Post
thanks for the feedback. any issue with seal or increased nose? I'm a bit paranoid after issues with my Prius windshield was replaced as part of accident repair and had issues with leaks and noise.
No issues at all. No increase in wind noise. Seals all look good. No leaks. HUD, cameras, and all features that use the cameras work with no issues.

This is with OEM glass. If you choose aftermarket glass then YMMV, I don't have any experience there.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 08:10 PM   #5
Crazyprac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Golf R & Evo 9

I've use Safelite twice for my Evos windshield. I first replaced with OEM then got dmg by a rock on a road trip. Then got an aftermarket one after and that has lasted me several years. Great customer service at the Bethesda store. U wouldn't have hesitation taking my m3 there.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 08:57 PM   #6
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I’ve had very good experience here, better than any Safelite. https://www.yelp.com/biz/windshield-city-chantilly
Appreciate 0