BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-29-2021, 10:53 AM   #45
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
Interesting debate...

I have no dog in this race.

I have a friend that's does similar things; I call it "magazine racing".
Not quite sure what you are trying to say here

I also no longer have "a horse in this race" as I have made my choice. But I did have a horse in the race when I was considering the G82C as my next car. The only thing available was paper stats and driving reviews to make that choice. The evaluation of those "paper stats" prompted me to go buy something else. It was exactly the same for all my previous car purchases, you work with what you have.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 04-29-2021 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 11:04 AM   #46
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
I would equally warn against posting so vehemently this is a one off. What happens when stock to stock this very result is repeated, you will be on the wrong side of this bench racing... I agree lets see more play out, but you are speaking from the same mouth, just the other side to so quickly discredit as those who claim credit.
These are actual discrediting facts:

-It’s a non-ZCP 425hp car built during the summer of 2015.
-It has some sort of tune on it. The level of tune is unconfirmed.
-It performed 0.5 sec better during this test on the same surface.

To actively “credit” these results, you have to ignore the above and take Carwow’s word for everything despite getting at least one major point wrong (ZCP car when it’s not). I don’t think there exists the equivalency you suggest.

Regardless, I’m on the side of, “run it back with a real OEM ZCP.”
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 11:11 AM   #47
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

i don't know why people are so into the 1/4 mile or lap times. clearly a tuned f80 can keep up with G80 in the straights or beat it. the counter argument would be 'well i can just put a tune on the g80'. And yes thats true. but then you could put pure turbos on the f80. its an argument that goes round and round. laptimes are the same way... you can go so far as to buy team schirmer parts for an E92 M3 and a stock f80/g80 wouldn't know which way you went.

whats important is how the car makes you FEEL when you drive it. Do you want the car to feel fast to you? or do you just want to be faster than the next guy? I've had heavy cars before that, on paper, ran very fast laps (GTR). What the mag time doesn't tell you is that a heavy car needs more help settling into a corner, doesn't like quick changes in direction, and will go through tires, brakes, and fluids faster than the lighter car.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 3
CanAutM321116.50
omgf80207.00
Tecnniqe4197.00
      04-29-2021, 11:30 AM   #48
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Most people use these cars in their stock configuration and the delta between the performance figures of different cars can generally be felt by most drivers in most conditions even if you lack the skill to match the absolute numbers achieved by the pros.

I agree that subjective measures such as “feel” are better predictors of whether you’re going to actually like the car or not. It’s hard to get a sense of how a car feels from a spec sheet. If you’re advocating for less magazine/YouTube racing and more actual test drives, I couldn’t agree more.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 11:37 AM   #49
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
That F82 is not a ZCP; it’s a power-modded base 425hp car. Interesting video, but as far as the old M4 is concerned, these results are not valid.

Look it up for yourself; plate is “D3 RAJ”.

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/?locale=en

Here's the VIN for you to decode if you're still not 100% sure.

WBS3R92030K342575

Here's his IG. For what it's worth, he uses hashtag "500bhpclub". There's a post on FB that references his Stage 1, but it's in a private group and not linkable.

https://www.instagram.com/greenmeaney/?hl=en

There's a 7-month old Carwow video featuring this exact Java Green F82. It's correctly labeled a base there and the exhaust sounds like the usual plain 2015 non-ZCP, no burbles (in other words, no tune). It set a 12.5 second time in that video.
Thanks for this. When I saw the video I thought no way a stock F82 could basically run with a G82, particularly with the G8x tests showing the car runs 11.6-11.8 qtr miles at 122-125 mph.

There is no doubt that a stock G8x is significantly quicker than a stock F8x regardless of transmission, weight or anything else. That takes nothing away from F8x cars. I've owned one for 6 yrs and intend to keep mine as long as possible and, while I am fine w/ the G8x looks, I am not buying one b/c my F80 is dialed in exactly as I like. If I were looking to buy a new 4 door practical car with a manual transmission, the G80 would be at the top of my list.
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4261.50
      04-29-2021, 11:44 AM   #50
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Thanks for this. When I saw the video I thought no way a stock F82 could basically run with a G82, particularly with the G8x tests showing the car runs 11.6-11.8 qtr miles at 122-125 mph.

There is no doubt that a stock G8x is significantly quicker than a stock F8x regardless of transmission, weight or anything else. That takes nothing away from F8x cars. I've owned one for 6 yrs and intend to keep mine as long as possible and, while I am fine w/ the G8x looks, I am not buying one b/c my F80 is dialed in exactly as I like. If I were looking to buy a new 4 door practical car with a manual transmission, the G80 would be at the top of my list.
Completely agree on all counts. The F8x is a wonderful machine with peak M aesthetics; it’s just been naturally superseded performance-wise by the next model.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 02:40 PM   #51
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
These are actual discrediting facts:

-It’s a non-ZCP 425hp car built during the summer of 2015.
-It has some sort of tune on it. The level of tune is unconfirmed.
-It performed 0.5 sec better during this test on the same surface.

To actively “credit” these results, you have to ignore the above and take Carwow’s word for everything despite getting at least one major point wrong (ZCP car when it’s not). I don’t think there exists the equivalency you suggest.

Regardless, I’m on the side of, “run it back with a real OEM ZCP.”
I believe you missed my entire point. One example won’t cut it, but what if subsequent real world experiences measure up the same way? Whatever man, it’s your hill to die on. Enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 02:44 PM   #52
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
i don't know why people are so into the 1/4 mile or lap times. clearly a tuned f80 can keep up with G80 in the straights or beat it. the counter argument would be 'well i can just put a tune on the g80'. And yes thats true. but then you could put pure turbos on the f80. its an argument that goes round and round. laptimes are the same way... you can go so far as to buy team schirmer parts for an E92 M3 and a stock f80/g80 wouldn't know which way you went.

whats important is how the car makes you FEEL when you drive it. Do you want the car to feel fast to you? or do you just want to be faster than the next guy? I've had heavy cars before that, on paper, ran very fast laps (GTR). What the mag time doesn't tell you is that a heavy car needs more help settling into a corner, doesn't like quick changes in direction, and will go through tires, brakes, and fluids faster than the lighter car.
Let me see how you feel in a 1984 Honda Accord and see if it matches up with a g82. The argument isn’t about the emotions contrived, but what the base platform is and you cannot relegate to a single line of thinking that modifications are set to happen and level the playing field. The beginning resource is what creates the foundation for such an experience. If one was to choose the fastest and not quickest, the argument is being made the f8x may be more an equivalent than some wish to believe due to initial configuration.
Appreciate 0