ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

01-23-2020, 10:45 PM   #23
delfunk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorRoadRage View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzaniteBlue View Post
I don't think you can compare an M4 GTS to a 911 GT3 or GT3 RS.

Firstly, the GT3 STARTS at $143,000. The GT3 RS from $187,500. By the time you option anything the GT3 is at the RS starting price and the GT3 RS is $250,000.

If you can score an M4 GTS for around $100,000, it's a hell of a car for the money.

And another thing that lots overlook, GTS software gives new life to the standard F80/F82. GTS steering is absolutely incredible, the GTS DCT flash transforms the car, and GTS MDM is much nicer than standard. Toss in CS EDC and you're set.

And lets not forget how amazing the GTS hood looks on ANY F80/F82.

The M4 GTS did more for BMW than most will admit. Years down the line it will be remembered fondly. IMO.

My one complaint? No water injection retrofit kit from BMW!
Still remember Top Gear saying it was BMW's worst mistake in a long time... Don't know what they were thinking...
Bmw treated me like a dog when mine had serious issues and I will never purchase another BMW. I have taken my last three purchases elsewhere.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2020, 03:16 PM   #24
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

I like my cheap GTS.
Thought it was a bargain at 75k
I keep up with 991.2 GT3s just fine at the track.
The car needs more camber and tire width is my only complaint.
No issues with my water injection, other than having that little filter replaced.
No issues with overheating during 30minute track sessions.
It does eat gas like a hog while on track, however.

I've owned:
991.1 GT3
997.2 GT3
981 GT4

Have to say the GTS gives the best bang for the buck.
Appreciate 7
Lienrocs701.00
David0ff1056.00
E92M3GT101.00
CanAutM321115.00
LINF83852.00
      02-10-2020, 05:24 PM   #25
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
I like my cheap GTS.
Thought it was a bargain at 75k
I keep up with 991.2 GT3s just fine at the track.
The car needs more camber and tire width is my only complaint.
No issues with my water injection, other than having that little filter replaced.
No issues with overheating during 30minute track sessions.
It does eat gas like a hog while on track, however.

I've owned:
991.1 GT3
997.2 GT3
981 GT4

Have to say the GTS gives the best bang for the buck.
Totally agree with all the above.
That is also why they are almost gone now...around 10 left, 4 above $100,000.
No more good deals in the spring for sure....
It sure is a blast to drive, both on the road and on the track.

Last edited by jpdchicago; 02-10-2020 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 03:47 AM   #26
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

You can take a base M4 and make it faster than an M4 GTS for less than $20k.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2020, 11:03 AM   #27
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

Ok. You can take a Carrera T and make it faster than a GT3 for way less than the price of a GT3. I'd still rather have the GT3.
Appreciate 1
h_bakken148.50
      02-26-2020, 11:21 AM   #28
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lienrocs View Post
Ok. You can take a Carrera T and make it faster than a GT3 for way less than the price of a GT3. I'd still rather have the GT3.
Good point. Was true for the E92 M3 Gts and will be true for the M4 Gts. Modifying and M3 or an M4 will give you more power with a tune but it will still be a regular M3 or M4.
The E92M3 gts is now an icon and I remember when it was made fun of for the same reason. Way overpriced and sitting at dealerships unsold. Cannot get your hands on one for less than $200,000 now...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #29
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdchicago View Post
Quote:
Good point. Was true for the E92 M3 Gts and will be true for the M4 Gts. Modifying and M3 or an M4 will give you more power with a tune but it will still be a regular M3 or M4.
The E92M3 gts is now an icon and I remember when it was made fun of for the same reason. Way overpriced and sitting at dealerships unsold. Cannot get your hands on one for less than $200,000 now...
Agreed. I'm not going to speculate if the M4 GTS will ever have the same reverence of the M3 GTS or CSL but I like mine.

For context, I also had an M3 Jahre that was tuned and was faster than my GTS but the motor didn't feel anything like the GTS. I prefer the linearity of the GTS, even though it's slower, to any tuned M3/M4 I've driven or ridden in. The S55 in the GTS feels miles apart from any other S55. The devil is in the details and the GTS has so many details that would be hard to replicate for $20k.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 11:38 AM   #30
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agreed. I'm not going to speculate if the M4 GTS will ever have the same reverence of the M3 GTS or CSL but I like mine.

For context, I also had an M3 Jahre that was tuned and was faster than my GTS but the motor didn't feel anything like the GTS. I prefer the linearity of the GTS, even though it's slower, to any tuned M3/M4 I've driven or ridden in. The S55 in the GTS feels miles apart from any other S55. The devil is in the details and the GTS has so many details that would be hard to replicate for $20k.
I agree with you that we should not speculate on the M4 Gts but it will always be a special car. I use mine daily in the spring and summer and there is no comparison with my former E46 M3 or F80 M3 in terms of raw sensations (even though I enjoyed them). The Gts is in a different category and it is a blast to drive!
The crazy part is that a lot of them are sitting in garages all year...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 11:40 AM   #31
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I agree with you that we should not speculate on the M4 Gts but it will always be a special car. I use mine daily in the spring and summer and there is no comparison with my former E46 M3 or F80 M3 in terms of raw sensations (even though I enjoyed them). The Gts is in a different category and it is a blast to drive!
The crazy part is that a lot of them are sitting in garages all year...
I agree. Mines a daily as well. SoCal weather also it never sits for more than a day or two. They're fantastic cars on road and track.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 10:07 AM   #32
Cadaver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Garage List
I impulsed bought a new M4GTS in 2017 (traded in my 15 M4 daily) and really enjoyed the car. I wanted a more track focused street car and that's what it was. My issues with the car was once suspension was set up for the track, it was absolutely unenjoyable on the street. On track, I was right there with the GT3s, Benz GTRs, etc. And I loved the torque on exit. You can really feather the power oversteer nicely. More camber would've been nice. However, once set up, it was a little too much towards the track spectrum. Its not a daily by any means, but my wife was hugely annoyed with the way it drove when we would go out to dinner. So, before the market took a huge dump on these cars, I got an opportunity to pick up a new 991.2 GT3 manual. So, I traded it in. Do not compare these two cars. I have since tracked and driven the crap out of the GT3. It is, IMHO, the best sports car ever built. For the money, the performance, analog feel, linear mechanical feel, best manual transmission the market, quality, there really is no equal. And, it will stay with me. It hasn't been without its issues (like the GTS), I lost 4th gear synchro that required a new trans under warranty. It also has taken a good beating on the track with a missing tow hook cover and chips in the windshield (one being in the straight on field of view which is annoying). To combat this problem..... I bought a full race car. In the meantime, I still enjoy taking a street car to the track for a relaxed DE. The GT3 fills this well. But, I still miss my GTS. Once BMW is in your heart, it never leaves. I would love to find another GTS. Heck I spent two hours last night building a new M4 on BMW website. If you have a GTS, I would hang on to it. I would bet the market will rebound in the next 5-10 years as the market shifts towards hybrid and full electric powertrains. Or, be like me and say F the market, lets drive it like I want to drive it!

Last edited by Cadaver; 03-15-2020 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 7
      03-31-2020, 03:14 AM   #33
BMW9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 / Nissan GTR

The GTS is a special car and fun to drive. I agree it's not so much fun on the streets when in track setting And on the track it doesn't put the power down. I would not miss it very much if I could sell it and get a GT3. I was about to make a deal and then the virus hit us. Every thing is on hold for now.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 10:21 AM   #34
RandyC54
Salty Middle Aged Dog
United_States
Rep

Pat's done laps in the 2:04's at VIR on Cup2 tires with only camber plates. If you are not as fast in a M4 GTS as in a GT3, then it's on you. 2:04's is legit, and Pat's not even an especially skilled driver!
Appreciate 2
redrumm3417.00
CU2VR19.00
      04-16-2020, 07:36 PM   #35
Vintage72
Registered
Rep
Drives: 535d

Quote:
Two totally different kinds of cars and driving experiences. A lot of people actually own M4 Gts AND Porsche Gt3.
Planning to add Gt3 manual next year but keeping the Gts. Loving the raw feel and the torque down low...
FYI, no issue with my water injection at 5,000 miles.
AGREED as to ownership. I am a BMW and Porsche person. And, I owned a GTS and GT3 Touring. Unfortunately, I wrecked my GTS on track . . . sad. Gorgeous car and I was just learning how to drive it right.

I currently have the Touring and an M2 Comp. Yes, I love them both. No need to drone on as to the differences. One cost $65k and the other $160k. The M2 holds its own, especially in the pure fun hooligan department - it might even win in that category. I do miss the BRUTAL acceleration of the GTS. It was special.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 03:30 AM   #36
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

I owned a 991 GT3 RS and a GTS. Loved them both. Obviously the GT3RS was a better car but the price difference was 2:1

Was the GTS half the car the RS was. Definitely not. Would have pegged the fun factor at a 80% of the RS.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
redrumm3417.00
phoenx332.50
      04-27-2020, 09:06 AM   #37
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep

Definitely a compliment! The Gts sure is fun both on the road and on the track.
Will be getting a GT3 manual but keeping the Gts.
I do agree with the fact that it is a little cumbersome to change from road to track with the Gts so it has become a daily for spring and summer. A lot of fun on the highway...
Got a separate track car: E46 prepared by Fall line. Dedicated track car.

Last edited by jpdchicago; 04-27-2020 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:11 PM   #38
delfunk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcompound View Post
Biggest dissapointing automotive purchase of my life and I have owned dozens of cars. I will never step foot in another BMW dealer. They treated me terribly. Nobody will buy their limited garbage cars anymore after this mess. My car accelerated on its own and fault codes popped up. I told them I was afraid for my life and they said nothing was wrong with the car and I had a newborn child. Spit on them!
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe985.00
      05-20-2020, 01:27 PM   #39
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M3 ZCP / '20 X3 M40i

Ahahaha. “Spit on them! “
Fart in their general direction!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 09:17 AM   #40
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfunk View Post
Biggest dissapointing automotive purchase of my life and I have owned dozens of cars. I will never step foot in another BMW dealer. They treated me terribly. Nobody will buy their limited garbage cars anymore after this mess. My car accelerated on its own and fault codes popped up. I told them I was afraid for my life and they said nothing was wrong with the car and I had a newborn child. Spit on them!
Some angry customer here...
I personally have owned BMWs for the last 20 years both in Europe and in the US and always had great experiences.
My GTS is still my favorite after almost 4 years of ownership. I also currently own an X3M and love that one two.
I guess I got lucky...
Appreciate 1
redrumm3417.00
      05-22-2020, 10:30 AM   #41
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keca10 View Post
Ahahaha. “Spit on them! “
Fart in their general direction!
This is the guy that had a video with Salomondrin about his problems with the GTS. In all honesty, he's had a pretty bad experience and I don't blame him for never coming back to the brand, but I have no idea why he continues to post in here like we care.
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 1
redrumm3417.00
      05-22-2020, 02:59 PM   #42
W1TAK
Rep
Drives: M5 Voodoo Blue

Garage List
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I personally have owned BMWs for the last 20 years both in Europe and in the US and always had great experiences.
My GTS is still my favorite after almost 4 years of ownership. I also currently own an X3M and love that one two.
I guess I got lucky...
Quote:
Quote:
I guess I got lucky...
Exactly the same experience, I am from the UK but now live in the US, had loads of BMWs including a few M3s and a CSL and my GTS is by far the best I ever owned. Kudos to BMW for making such an extreme model. The angry customer has made his point numerous times, happy owners should balance out that opinion
Appreciate 1
redrumm3417.00
      06-14-2020, 03:14 PM   #43
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcompound View Post
It amazes me that BMW manages to snow so many intelligent people with their "Ultimate Driving Machine" slogan STILL!!!!

For those smart enough who can afford a $100k+ sports car, the way that BMW marketing can manipulate everyone is a testament to what an amazing marketing department can do.

Seriously, BMW should start a side hustle in Advanced Marketing.

They are the automotive version of Jordan Belfort on screwing people.

As soon as the car was out and in the hands of journalists and car reviewers , everyone knew it fell way short and yet they priced it like it was the last gold bar on the earth and BMW fan boys ate it up.

While Porsche kinda does the same thing, they at least can back it up.

It's this logic that makes me think that crypto investing will one day make me very rich. Value is all perception, regardless of what it actually is
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 06:03 PM   #44
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
It amazes me that BMW manages to snow so many intelligent people with their "Ultimate Driving Machine" slogan STILL!!!!

For those smart enough who can afford a $100k+ sports car, the way that BMW marketing can manipulate everyone is a testament to what an amazing marketing department can do.

Seriously, BMW should start a side hustle in Advanced Marketing.

They are the automotive version of Jordan Belfort on screwing people.

As soon as the car was out and in the hands of journalists and car reviewers , everyone knew it fell way short and yet they priced it like it was the last gold bar on the earth and BMW fan boys ate it up.

While Porsche kinda does the same thing, they at least can back it up.

It's this logic that makes me think that crypto investing will one day make me very rich. Value is all perception, regardless of what it actually is
I think the fanboys like me own them now.

How many times have you driven one properly setup on track?

Appreciate 0