Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-01-2020, 12:34 PM   #133
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkk View Post
New front springs came. Lowered setting.
Do you know what the spring rates are?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 02:59 PM   #134
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep
Drives: X4 & M4

How good this setup dealing with surface irregularities and imperfections on comfort is it more or less jarring than stock?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 03:54 PM   #135
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

I ordered a set of the Tractive PnP EDC "Touring" kit (the same version everyone seems to be getting) after reading all the positive feedback. They arrived within ~5 weeks from ordering, so expect a bit of a lead time. I'm scheduled to install in about a week, so excited to see how they feel once they've settled.

My friend ordered their "Road & Track" version, which unlike the "Touring" kit, it is a true coilover for both front and rear. However, they are still meant to work with the stock EDC and are considered a PnP kit. The fronts also come with camber adjustable top mounts, which is great. The "Road & Track" kit is meant to be a bit more aggressive than the "Touring" kit due to stiffer spring rates and solid top mounts. They also allow front and rear height adjustability, unlike the "Touring kit" which has a fixed rear height. But we'll both be testing on the road and track to see if the "Road & Track" kit was worth the extra 1,285 Euros (~1,420 USD).

Prices quoted directly from Tractive are:
  1. BMW F8x M3/M4 Tractive Touring PnP suspension kit: Set of 4 shocks including springs suitable for OE top mounts and separate spring setup rear TOUR-BW-Axx21, €3625 - ex VAT.
  2. BMW F8x M3/M4 Tractive Road/Track PnP suspension kit: Set of 4 shocks including springs, adjustable front top mounts solid rear and true coilover rear shock TRAC-BW-Axx46, €4910 - ex VAT

They also offer a "Race" version which come with different dampers that have an external reservoir. The springs on these kits are customizable per your application. I believe the price of that kit was ~6,550 Euro.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 1
dwz99.50
      03-17-2020, 09:06 PM   #136
worth1t
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuLoOoSki View Post
I ordered a set of the Tractive PnP EDC "Touring" kit (the same version everyone seems to be getting) after reading all the positive feedback. They arrived within ~5 weeks from ordering, so expect a bit of a lead time. I'm scheduled to install in about a week, so excited to see how they feel once they've settled.

My friend ordered their "Road & Track" version, which unlike the "Touring" kit, it is a true coilover for both front and rear. However, they are still meant to work with the stock EDC and are considered a PnP kit. The fronts also come with camber adjustable top mounts, which is great. The "Road & Track" kit is meant to be a bit more aggressive than the "Touring" kit due to stiffer spring rates and solid top mounts. They also allow front and rear height adjustability, unlike the "Touring kit" which has a fixed rear height. But we'll both be testing on the road and track to see if the "Road & Track" kit was worth the extra 1,285 Euros (~1,420 USD).

Prices quoted directly from Tractive are:
  1. BMW F8x M3/M4 Tractive Touring PnP suspension kit: Set of 4 shocks including springs suitable for OE top mounts and separate spring setup rear TOUR-BW-Axx21, €3625 - ex VAT.
  2. BMW F8x M3/M4 Tractive Road/Track PnP suspension kit: Set of 4 shocks including springs, adjustable front top mounts solid rear and true coilover rear shock TRAC-BW-Axx46, €4910 - ex VAT

They also offer a "Race" version which come with different dampers that have an external reservoir. The springs on these kits are customizable per your application. I believe the price of that kit was ~6,550 Euro.
Any feedback yet on the kits? I've been looking at the Road & Track version. Currently using Ohlins R&T with custom springs so wanting to know the benefit of the true rear coilover in particular.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 12:35 AM   #137
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth1t View Post
Any feedback yet on the kits? I've been looking at the Road & Track version. Currently using Ohlins R&T with custom springs so wanting to know the benefit of the true rear coilover in particular.
I didn't get a chance to install my kit due to the outbreak of COVID-19. Kuwait has been on lockdown for the past week, and hence most businesses are closed (including the shop I intended to do my install at). Will probably take a bit of time before this storm passes through and things get back to normal.

My prayers go to everyone, wishing everyone to be safe and healthy.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 2
FreeDarko217.00
///Mobbin1476.50
      03-18-2020, 09:52 PM   #138
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Are you unhappy with the Ohlins?

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 10:14 PM   #139
khim179
Registered
Rep
Drives: B3

I just got a set of tractive suspension for my Alpina b3 wagon. Goona get it installed sometime this week!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1476.50
      06-10-2020, 09:22 AM   #140
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
The difference between an OEM divorced rear spring setup vs. a rear coilover setup is small and the benefit is track focused. Switching to a rear coilover setup is when you’re trying to find that last < 5% in suspension setup (tenths of seconds, not seconds on the track). On my track-prep’d e46 M3, I started with a Moton divorced rear setup and then after 1-1.5 years of running the setup I switched to a rear coilover setup. After dialing every thing in again, I was 0.25 sec quicker on a 2 mile long track and 0.4 sec quicker on a 3.1 mile track. A pro racer drove my car with both setups and his lap times with the coilover rear setup improved by < 0.5 sec on the 3.1 mile track. One major advantage to a rear coilover setup is it makes height adjustments and corner balancing easier (unless you’re using the latest GC rear articulating spring adjuster with a divorced setup).
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 02:48 PM   #141
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M 4 FUN View Post
Do you know what the spring rates are?
The Tractive Touring Kit (which has a true coilover in the front, and divorced setup in the rear) spring rates are:
Front: 90N/mm ≈ 514lb/in
Rear: 120N/mm ≈ 685lb/in

For Comparison, I believe the factory non-ZCP spring rates are:
Front: 30N/mm ≈ 171lb/in
Rear: 100N/mm ≈ 571lb/in

And finally, I believe the factory ZCP spring rates are:
Front: 35N/mm ≈ 200lb/in
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 02:34 PM   #142
milk242
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

My tractive touring just shipped from the Netherlands. Can't wait to get them installed!
20 Tesla Model 3
23 Audi R8 (on order, never came )
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 09:16 PM   #143
dwz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Are these available for purchase in the US?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 09:42 AM   #144
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk242 View Post
My tractive touring just shipped from the Netherlands. Can't wait to get them installed!
Would you share the purchase details? Retailer, cost etc.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 09:43 AM   #145
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuLoOoSki View Post
The Tractive Touring Kit (which has a true coilover in the front, and divorced setup in the rear) spring rates are:
Front: 90N/mm ≈ 514lb/in

For Comparison, I believe the factory non-ZCP spring rates are:
Front: 30N/mm ≈ 171lb/in
Rear: 100N/mm ≈ 571lb/in

And finally, I believe the factory ZCP spring rates are:
Front: 35N/mm ≈ 200lb/in
Give that the OEM has a roughly 3:1 difference in spring rates front to rear, due to the divorced setup, shouldn’t the Tractive rates follow suit?

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 10:00 AM   #146
milk242
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by milk242 View Post
Would you share the purchase details? Retailer, cost etc.
Sure thing, I contacted tractive originally and they pointed me to one of their dealers which were local to me called inertia laboratory in Carrollton, TX. I paid about 4500 for them so no discounts whatsoever.
20 Tesla Model 3
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 11:27 AM   #147
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Give that the OEM has a roughly 3:1 difference in spring rates front to rear, due to the divorced setup, shouldn’t the Tractive rates follow suit?
Almost all aftermarket coilover mfgs spec their spring rates with higher front ride frequencies than rear (OE is higher rear than front). There are a myriad of reasons they do this ranging from making the car feel supported and responsive, not needing front sway bar upgrades, inducing understeer so getting on throttle sooner doesn't cause over steer, ect. There are downsides too.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 03:20 PM   #148
milk242
Captain
Rep

My initial impressions:

A lot less crash-y. I'm not a track enthusiast nor do I know much about suspensions but all I know is driving on the roads around town, the imperfections are a lot less jarring. The best way I can explain it is, with the stock suspension going over imperfections, it felt like sharp bumps but with the Tractive on, it felt more dull (if that makes sense). I think that relates to better dampening and maybe the stiffer spring rates. I can now actually feel the difference between the different EDC settings and find that sport is now great for around town driving (used to stick with comfort). With all the settings, there is definitely less body roll with taking turns and I feel more confident and feel like I can now know when the car is going to start sliding. Just be aware that the rear height is not adjustable, but I'm happy with the drop. I think Tractive setup is great but I can't say if they are better than the KW or Bilstein EDC offers as I've never driven an F80 with them.

On to the installation experience. I got the suspension in September and decided to wait till Thanksgiving to install it. When I went to go install the rear, I realized they connected the wrong plug onto the rear shock so it didn't work with their adapter. Their customer service is great but the everything comes from the Netherlands as I don't think they really have a distribution network here in the US. They sent out new adapter cables that was compatible with the wrong connectors they put on the shock. So I try to finish my install Christmas now since I was waiting for the new cables. This time plugging it in, the rear left had no signal. I took a continuity tester and confirmed it had no signal. They were willing to send the parts over to a local distributor and rebuild the shock but I ended up taking the plug off and ordered a couple of compatible molex pins and replaced the pin connectors on the wire and all is well. All in all, their customer service is great but be aware that since they don't have a huge presence in the US, then everything has to come from the Netherlands. They did inform me that they are working on revised rear shock connectors where they can reuse the OEM cable (like Bilstein)
20 Tesla Model 3
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 07:09 AM   #149
trackjunkie61
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Curious if any other owners could provide their post installation reviews. Would like to know if you would do it again or not and where you purchased. —thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 09:13 AM   #150
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackjunkie61 View Post
Curious if any other owners could provide their post installation reviews. Would like to know if you would do it again or not and where you purchased. —thanks
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 08:14 AM   #151
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR930 View Post
+1
I was told the touring setup has front and rear adjustability now.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 03:42 PM   #152
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR930 View Post
I was told the touring setup has front and rear adjustability now.
Just got my set. I'll post up my impressions once I get them in.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 09:53 AM   #153
5218201a
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 Silverstone

Garage List
2016 f80 m3  [0.00]
Tractive touring kit installed today

First impression, the best suspension upgrades I've ever experienced. It's better than expected.

2016 lci m3 previously on M performance Has.

On highway with comfort, The ride is very similar to oem but you can feel more vibration thru the seats, you definitely feel the road more. But not in an unpleasant way. When the car was oem and you hit a pothole, you can feel the car banging and then lift up a little. After tractive kit, the car just drive thru it, no more banging or lifting.

The up and down movement of the car reduced almost like 90 percent, you will feel it even thru speed humps.

I also tried to use sport + testing on the back roads I normally go.

The car no longer have unwanted body rolls, it bites on the floor and you can just push with confidence. No pulling left or right, no bouncing thru uneven terrains. I used to give a lot of reserve driving this car because I didnt fully trust it, a lot of time it understeers and its unpredictable, now it's all gone. I can fully trust the car now.

The car cut thru corners very smoothly, so i can push at least 10-15kms faster almost every corner. Without even putting too much efforts.

I've never felt driving M3 is a relaxing thing. You always have to kinda fight with it especially when the car is at the limit. But now it's a joy to drive this car. This kit truely added a premium feeling to the car, makes the m3 drives and feels like a Porsche, only wish I had it on sooner.
Appreciate 2
FreeDarko217.00
Vertix29.50
      04-09-2022, 09:13 PM   #154
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5218201a View Post
Tractive touring kit installed today

First impression, the best suspension upgrades I've ever experienced. It's better than expected.

2016 lci m3 previously on M performance Has.

On highway with comfort, The ride is very similar to oem but you can feel more vibration thru the seats, you definitely feel the road more. But not in an unpleasant way. When the car was oem and you hit a pothole, you can feel the car banging and then lift up a little. After tractive kit, the car just drive thru it, no more banging or lifting.

The up and down movement of the car reduced almost like 90 percent, you will feel it even thru speed humps.

I also tried to use sport + testing on the back roads I normally go.

The car no longer have unwanted body rolls, it bites on the floor and you can just push with confidence. No pulling left or right, no bouncing thru uneven terrains. I used to give a lot of reserve driving this car because I didnt fully trust it, a lot of time it understeers and its unpredictable, now it's all gone. I can fully trust the car now.

The car cut thru corners very smoothly, so i can push at least 10-15kms faster almost every corner. Without even putting too much efforts.

I've never felt driving M3 is a relaxing thing. You always have to kinda fight with it especially when the car is at the limit. But now it's a joy to drive this car. This kit truely added a premium feeling to the car, makes the m3 drives and feels like a Porsche, only wish I had it on sooner.
Mine are going in next week. Can't wait.
Appreciate 0