BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-31-2023, 12:03 PM   #1
longfellow
Rep
Drives: F82

Fixing small imperfections in carbon fiber roof

Any suggestions on a DIY fix for this? Was thinking I can buy some sort of clear paste to fill it in and then sand it down.

Caused by a pellet from fireworks that landed on the roof and made a small burn through the clear coating on top of the carbon fiber.

You can’t tell in the photo, but it also made a small ring about a half inch outside of the actual divot, presumably from the impact, but doubt there is much that can be done about that?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 01:37 PM   #2
ron_s55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

clear coat touch up paint
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 12:39 AM   #3
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Is the damage all the way thru the top coat? The top coat is not the same as a typical clear coat on a painted surface, it’s more of a gel coat. If it’s not all the way thru to bare CF, I’d recommend wet sanding with at least 1000 grit sandpaper (note: if not experienced with wet sanding I’d recommend finding a body shop experienced with CF roof repair - best option if you want the best repair) and then use 2000 grit to finish off the surface. However, if it’s made it thru to bare CF it’ll be more difficult to spot repair (best option is to find a body shop experienced with CF roof repair). You could still wet sand the high spots and then you could try a clear coat repair kit (note: if your roof has been left outside in the sun a lot and not frequently waxed/sealed with UV resistant products then there’s a good chance the gel coat has started to yellow and new clear will show the yellowing) and apply multiple layers of clear to see if you can fully seal over the bare CF.

The damage looks too small to pay to have the whole CF roof resealed but the small damage areas may start to delaminate with time, eventually requiring the whole roof to be resealed.

Here’s a short video showing the gel coat being applied to a roof already stripped to bare CF and preped for gel coat:
https://youtu.be/QW6ZwxIky9g?si=YGRE_GBtgBxrhToJ

Last edited by M3SQRD; 01-01-2024 at 12:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 01:07 PM   #4
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

You should be able to fix it. I fixed over a dozen rock chips on my roof. Dont sand too large of an area, be minimal as possible. The CF roof has a natural ripple in the finish and if you sand a large area, it can show as a noticeable flat spot in certain angles. I dont think you can do anything about the ring but i think its more important to seal the penetrated clearcoat so it doesnt get worse.
I used a small foam pad and cut small strips of sandpaper(1/3") to only wet sand the new clearcoat area. I cant remember the grits but i would probably guess 1500, 2000 and 2500.
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1709293

Last edited by hC1001; 01-02-2024 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0