Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-13-2021, 02:24 PM   #1
Hoppyumr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

California is actually good for something...

Okay, so now that I got you reading, and not that I truly feel that way (or do I?). I was reading through the warranty booklet provided with our cars, you know in that packet of booklets in the glove box most of us usually don't read, and found that the California emissions warranty includes A LOT of stuff for a long time - 7 years, 70k miles. Items such as the charge air cooler (aka top mount intercooler), the turbos, fuel injectors, ECM, vanos, and valvetronic actuator, among many engine sensors, etc. While this seems to apply to several states, not just California,
moist of the listed items would otherwise be covered under the standard warranty, which is only 4y/50k, if registered in most other states, including mine.

Anyone else aware of this?

Makes me want to figure out how to register in California!
Appreciate 7
FrznM72.50
HyeM3464.50
Wah2778.50
m3elmo49.50
      01-13-2021, 02:27 PM   #2
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppyumr View Post
Okay, so now that I got you reading, and not that I truly feel that way (or do I?). I was reading through the warranty booklet provided with our cars, you know in that packet of booklets in the glove box most of us usually don't read, and found that the California emissions warranty includes A LOT of stuff for a long time - 7 years, 70k miles. Items such as the charge air cooler (aka top mount intercooler), the turbos, fuel injectors, ECM, vanos, and valvetronic actuator, among many engine sensors, etc. While this seems to apply to several states, not just California,
moist of the listed items would otherwise be covered under the standard warranty, which is only 4y/50k, if registered in most other states, including mine.

Hmm I am in california and did not know this. I need to bust out the manual!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 04:03 PM   #3
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Turbo charger...Intercooler...ECU DME... Wow. High dollar items.

Valve Cover Gasket?? Interesting...I have heard of this failing as well occasionally.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 04:06 PM   #4
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 15 F80, 2011 X5 35i, E46 M

Quote:

I read that when my top mount cooler when out. And they didn't cover it, I was told it only cover emissions parts like cat's , coils, and maybe injectors.
      01-13-2021, 04:14 PM   #5
diesel733
Master of one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP IMOLA RED

The Turbots too? Wow that's good
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 04:34 PM   #6
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbonly21 View Post
I read that when my top mount cooler when out. And they didn't cover it, I was told it only cover emissions parts like cat's , coils, and maybe injectors.
You can literally throw the book on the table as it’s specially spells out that the Charge Air Cooler (CAC) is covered. Literally on the first page of the California Emission Warranty Part List. Maybe your dealer is ignorant and didn’t know that it was covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 04:42 PM   #7
AR_Motorwerkz
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW F82 M4, BMW WIDEBODY F13

Now that's awesome, a lot's covered here!

California still sucks for car ownership though
Appreciate 2
      01-13-2021, 06:18 PM   #8
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here she is in all her glory:
Attached Images

Appreciate 9
J-Pizzle125.50
HyeM3464.50
zamboni1127.50
m3elmo49.50
Mazen189116.00
Wanted_M756.00
izzyM2702.50
      01-13-2021, 07:28 PM   #9
Hoppyumr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbonly21 View Post
You can literally throw the book on the table as it's specially spells out that the Charge Air Cooler (CAC) is covered. Literally on the first page of the California Emission Warranty Part List. Maybe your dealer is ignorant and didn't know that it was covered under warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR_Motorwerkz View Post
Now that's awesome, a lot's covered here!

California still sucks for car ownership though

@Jblony are you in California or one of the other covered states? If not, then that makes sense, otherwise I'd throw the book at them to cover what should rightfully be covered.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 09:11 PM   #10
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

Torque converter? uhhh ok?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:18 PM   #11
Hoppyumr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Here she is in all her glory:

It's interesting that the image you included is different than what is included in the warranty booklet in my car (2018). My list does not include "torque converter."

What's interesting is that I've seen incorrect reference to the DCT being a "torque converter." I wonder how it is that BMW could have screwed that up, unless they secretively meant to include the dual clutch mechanism; if mine failed I'd certainly give it a try explaining that it converts that torque from the crankshaft to the transmission input shaft... 😜. Deaf ears I'm sure though.

So that you see I'm not that crazy, here's the link to the mention of "torque converter" searching for the part number from realOEM:
https://www.autohausaz.com/bmw-auto-...rtnumbersearch

Btw, what year is your car that you have a different booklet than me?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 11:01 PM   #12
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's interesting that the image you included is different than what is included in the warranty booklet in my car (2018). My list does not include "torque converter."

What's interesting is that I've seen incorrect reference to the DCT being a "torque converter." I wonder how it is that BMW could have screwed that up, unless they secretively meant to include the dual clutch mechanism; if mine failed I'd certainly give it a try explaining that it converts that torque from the crankshaft to the transmission input shaft... 😜. Deaf ears I'm sure though.

So that you see I'm not that crazy, here's the link to the mention of "torque converter" searching for the part number from realOEM:
https://www.autohausaz.com/bmw-auto-...rtnumbersearch

Btw, what year is your car that you have a different booklet than me?
Hmm mine is a 2015.

Maybe the torque converters were too expensive for bmw
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 11:08 PM   #13
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F83 ZCP 6MT | F/A-18E

What other states are covered?
Appreciate 1
Wah2778.50
      01-14-2021, 02:47 AM   #14
nickl630
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3CS, 09 GTR

Yes, many cars have extended warranties on emissions components in California (and sometimes states that have CA emissions)

Example: I had a 2006 Civic with a bad Hybrid battery... it was replaced 12 years later at 85k (Warranty was 15yr/150k!)
      01-14-2021, 07:42 AM   #15
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
Torque converter? uhhh ok?
Must be talking about those new Ms with the slushboxes.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 09:46 AM   #16
Hoppyumr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Goose View Post
Looks like California, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington at least in my booklet.

That said, the warranty details in my booklet at least appear to read that you have to fail an emissions test first and they have up to 30 days to cover or deny.

Here's a good resource for downloading your specific year warranty if you don't have access to your book:
https://www.bmwusa.com/explore/bmw-v...nty-books.html

Actually here is the 2018 Warranty booklet that I didn't think I could link to because my pc downloaded it rather than getting a link like I did on my phone.
https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/b...d-Warranty.pdf

I should follow this up with adding that I'd be posted if they didn't cover any of these items that had been included in the emissions warranted items list just because I had possibly failed an emissions test YET. I assume Cali has tests required each year and the timing may be off for the failure and you not be required to have a smog check. For instance, I just had the DEF heater go out in my 2016 GMC 2500HD Duramax back in November '20. The GMC dealer replaced the DEF heater no questions asked, AND no smog check failure. I did have a check engine light come on as a result, though so I would fail a test without actually being hooked up. Fast forward a slight bit, something with the repair or a coincidence, doesn't matter, my DEF fill gauge was apparently stuck at 24% even though I had filled it - common problem that the programming goes hay wire. Anyway GMC warrantied the reprogramming of the system for it to work again just this week when I took it in. Again, warranty repairs done without failing a exhaust test.

I think it would be pretty shitty for BMW to try to get out of warranting what would very likely result in a failed smog test for many of these items just because of poor timing of the part to fail on you.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 12:06 PM   #17
Hoppyumr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Goose View Post

That said, the warranty details in my booklet at least appear to read that you have to fail an emissions test first and they have up to 30 days to cover or deny.

I think it would be pretty shitty for BMW to try to get out of warranting what would very likely result in a failed smog test for many of these items just because of poor timing of the part to fail on you.

While I'm not a lawyer, I did notice something on page 10 of mine in the CA emissions warranty section that sounds like a failed smog test is one of the ways you could bring it to them for warranty work. The other is at the bottom of the left column on page 10, indicating "upon failure of a Smog Check test OR upon discovery of the defect...". Those are pretty strong words to me for inclusion that it doesn't actually need to fail a smog test, you just have to find the part is bad. Item C directly above points to the itemized list of what's included.

Sorry for missing it earlier.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 12:15 PM   #18
m3elmo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
The other is at the bottom of the left column on page 10, indicating "upon failure of a Smog Check test OR upon discovery of the defect...". Those are pretty strong words to me for inclusion that it doesn't actually need to fail a smog test, you just have to find the part is bad. Item C directly above points to the itemized list of what's included.

Sorry for missing it earlier.
good information. "Discovery of defect" would be enough for any reasonable person to know that it would then subsequently fail the smog test. I do not like having to fail a smog test to get it covered since a failed smog test is locked into carfax and the vehicle record and flagged by BAR for future tests (big no no).
      01-14-2021, 12:47 PM   #19
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Hmm... my interpretation is that those things are covered by the California Emission Control System Limited Warranty, NOT by BMW. Does that mean you file a claim with CECS?? Please correct me if I'm wrong (I hope I'm wrong).
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 01:05 PM   #20
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
"To obtain service under this warranty, the vehicle must be brought, upon failure of a Smog Check test or upon discovery of the defect, to the workshop of any authorized BMW center, during normal business hours. The authorized BMW center will honor or deny your claim within 30 days. If the claim is denied, the authorized BMW center will notify you in writing of the reason(s). The authorized BMW center is required by law to honor the claim if notice is not given to the owner within 30 days"

One could argue the "OR" vs the "AND" in small claims court. If they deny the reason, it will be in writing and this can be brought into court if the reason is frivolous. If the dealer isn't willing to give you a reason in writing within 30 days, then they are failing to adhere to the law.

One example I could think of is the intercooler leaking into the engine. If you do your due diligence as a owner and inspect it and noticed it is leaking and you bring it up to BMW. If BMW denies repairing it due to "normal wear and tear", one could argue the fact that there is no interval for replacing an intercooler or the coolant in it. Also since the car is "Condition Based Service" for maintenance items, this would lead questions into BMW's condition based system for intervals. BMW better have a very good reason as to why they are letting a part leak coolant into the engine and burning it into the atmosphere if they are going to deny the work.

"It is the owner's responsibility to have all required maintenance services performed (at the owner's expense when applicable), as prescribed in the maintenance schedule for the BMW Emission Control System. Service intervals are computed by the Condition Based Service system and displayed on the instrument panel."

With this statement, if there was never a warning in the CBS system to change the coolant in the intercooler or a written guideline as to how often to replace it and the intercooler fails and begins leaking, BMW would be liable since their CBS system failed to identify something that should have been done. BMW identifies their coolant as "lifetime fill" since 2004.

Therefore, if the intercooler fails within 7 years or 70,000 miles in California, it should be covered under emissions warranty unless there was a CBS warning and the owner didn't perform the service.

And of course they have this normal legal line.

"Malfunctions, including consequential, caused by negligence, misuse/improper operation of the vehicle, environmental influences, flood, accident or fire damage."

The negligence is what I was referring to if there was a CBS warning and the owner failed to perform the service.

One thing to note is the SMOG service, new cars are exempt from running SMOG for 8 years (unless you are transferring ownership) after the initial in service date and we pay a "smog abatement fee".

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/upload...05/18vin19.pdf

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 01:06 PM   #21
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Hmm... my interpretation is that those things are covered by the California Emission Control System Limited Warranty, NOT by BMW. Does that mean you file a claim with CECS?? Please correct me if I'm wrong (I hope I'm wrong).
No, it would be covered by BMW NA.

BMW NA warrants to the original purchaser and each subsequent owner that the vehicle is:
a.
designed, built and equipped so as to conform with the applicable California Air Resources Board emission standards.
b.
free from defects in materials and workmanship which cause any part that can affect emissions to fail to conform with applicable requirements or to fail a California Smog Check test or EPA-approved short test for a period of 3 years or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
c.
free from defects in materials and workmanship in emission-related parts, which are contained in the California EmissionWarranty Parts List on page 20, for a period of 7 years or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Appreciate 1
      01-19-2021, 02:01 AM   #22
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

So glad I found this. I've been monitoring my IC coolant levels and it's been pretty constant but good to know it's covered under the extended conditions set forth by CA emissions laws ��
Appreciate 0