EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

02-16-2020, 09:11 AM   #1
roo97ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4, X6M, Tesla Plaid, MYP, Ram

Sirius retrofit convertible antenna

I searched and know I have sat prep.

2015 m4

Bimmertech and bimmer retrofit and even diy coding options I see available and fully understand that.

What are my options for antenna? It just mentions that they have one available and it's easy to install for 110$ on bimmertech.

What have people used?

How about a small generic magnetic one?

OEM only?

Thanks in advance. I'm usually successful with search but haven't found anything on this antenna for sirius on a convertible.
      02-16-2020, 09:15 AM   #2
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Sat prep includes the antenna. You need sat activation, not retrofit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roo97ss View Post

2015 m4

Bimmertech and bimmer retrofit and even diy coding options I see available and fully understand that.

What are my options for antenna? It just mentions that they have one available and it's easy to install for 110$ on bimmertech.

What have people used?

OEM only?

Thanks in advance. I'm usually successful with search but haven't found anything on this antenna for sirius on a convertible.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 06:58 AM   #3
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: '18 GT3, Ex F80x2

Quote:

2015 m4

What have people used?

OEM only?

Agreed - find one of the coders on here and they can get that activated for you (I did it on my 2015)...more involved than simply coding it on because you need to buy a BMW FSC code that essentially 'unlocks' it and turns it on. The coder will know how to do this. PM if you need help.

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 11:14 PM   #4
steve@codemybimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
OP needs the Antenna since he is coming from a convertible. The Antenna goes into the shark fin on the trunk and he would need to strip the trunk liner to access the compartment. Once you have it opened up, you just connect the antenna into the shark fin and he's good to have SXM activated via an FSC code. The wiring between the head unit and the trunk shark fin are already there and you just need to add the antenna module.

https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/...M4/USA/65_2580

The bestbuy antennas can work too if you remove the head unit and plug it into the pink port but it may be an eye sore if you have to leave an aftermarket antenna on the dash.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 03:10 PM   #5
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
OP needs the Antenna since he is coming from a convertible. The Antenna goes into the shark fin on the trunk and he would need to strip the trunk liner to access the compartment. Once you have it opened up, you just connect the antenna into the shark fin and he's good to have SXM activated via an FSC code. The wiring between the head unit and the trunk shark fin are already there and you just need to add the antenna module.

https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/...M4/USA/65_2580

The bestbuy antennas can work too if you remove the head unit and plug it into the pink port but it may be an eye sore if you have to leave an aftermarket antenna on the dash.
None of this makes sense. Everyone is way overthinking this whole thing.

All F8x M3s and M4s sold in the U.S. came from the factory with a free, one-year SiriusXM subscription. It doesn't matter whether you have a Sedan, Coupe, or Convertible, all of the hardware is already there. All the OP has to do is get the Radio ID that can be found in iDrive. Press on the "Radio" button, select "Satellite Radio" and then press the "Option" button, select "Manage Subscription" and the Radio ID will be displayed. The number to call SiriusXM is listed below the Radio ID. You need to tell them that you are reactivating a previous subscription.

The best deal available is the "$5/month" ($60/yr.) deal for SiriusXM Select, which gives you 140+ mostly music channels. It will end up costing you ~$6.06/month ($72.72/yr.) with fees and taxes. You will have to be consistent, as they will tell you that the best they can do is $99/year for one year which then goes to their "regular" price of $15.99/month ($191.88/yr.). Their pricing model is a complete scam. If you can't get the $5/month deal, hang up and try again.

I've done this every year since the one-year subscription on my 2016 M4 ran out in May 2017. I did the same thing when the subscription on my wife's 2018 ran out in July last year and I was able to get both of them on the same plan for $12.12/month. It's an annual ritual. Once you're subscribed and you need to call to renew, you just keep threatening to cancel if you can't get the $5/month deal.

More pricing info: https://wallethacks.com/save-75-siri...subscriptions/

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 07:46 PM   #6
roo97ss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
None of this makes sense. Everyone is way overthinking this whole thing.

All F8x M3s and M4s sold in the U.S. came from the factory with a free, one-year SiriusXM subscription. It doesn't matter whether you have a Sedan, Coupe, or Convertible, all of the hardware is already there. All the OP has to do is get the Radio ID that can be found in iDrive. Press on the "Radio" button, select "Satellite Radio" and then press the "Option" button, select "Manage Subscription" and the Radio ID will be displayed. The number to call SiriusXM is listed below the Radio ID. You need to tell them that you are reactivating a previous subscription.

The best deal available is the "$5/month" ($60/yr.) deal for SiriusXM Select, which gives you 140+ mostly music channels. It will end up costing you ~$6.06/month ($72.72/yr.) with fees and taxes. You will have to be consistent, as they will tell you that the best they can do is $99/year for one year which then goes to their "regular" price of $15.99/month ($191.88/yr.). Their pricing model is a complete scam. If you can't get the $5/month deal, hang up and try again.

I've done this every year since the one-year subscription on my 2016 M4 ran out in May 2017. I did the same thing when the subscription on my wife's 2018 ran out in July last year and I was able to get both of them on the same plan for $12.12/month. It's an annual ritual. Once you're subscribed and you need to call to renew, you just keep threatening to cancel if you can't get the $5/month deal.

More pricing info: https://wallethacks.com/save-75-siri...subscriptions/

Yes always work a deal with them. Threatening to quit always works.

However this car vin decoder has sat prep and does not have satellite as an option on radio screen. I've had satellite on many other bmws with I drive and simply this one does not have it. All of the others would at least have the preview channel on and obviously a selection.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 09:11 PM   #7
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
However this car vin decoder has sat prep and does not have satellite as an option on radio screen. I've had satellite on many other bmws with I drive and simply this one does not have it. All of the others would at least have the preview channel on and obviously a selection.
Well, that's weird. Is this a NA car? I'm guessing that you bought it used? Do you know to what dealer it was originally delivered? Maybe the original dealer has some clue as to why this doesn't have SiriusXM.

I guess I'm out of suggestions, man.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 09:54 PM   #8
roo97ss
Captain
Rep

Ya na car, sold bmw of Greenwich in ct.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 11:49 PM   #9
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Ya na car, sold bmw of Greenwich in ct.
Last 7 of vin?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 06:39 AM   #10
roo97ss
Captain
Rep

Car indeed did not have an antenna. Bought one from ebay for 35 dollars.

Install was all of 30 min. A bunch of push pins dropped the liner and just 3 bolts and 1 antenna wire connection.. The nuts were in the car, tightened down, wire right there.

Can't understand why they would have it this close, all wired, hole in trunk, shark fin in place and skip the antenna alone on a 60k plus car... oh wait its BMW, who was still charging 500 dollars for a backup camera when they came standard on all cheap Hondas and Toyotas even before the government mandate in 2018.
Attached Images

Last edited by roo97ss; 04-23-2020 at 06:46 AM..
Appreciate 0