Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

Closed Thread

01-25-2020, 11:22 PM   #45
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

This is what happens when you are a race car driver with too many friends with money.
Appreciate 1
jvit27110.00
      01-26-2020, 02:26 AM   #46
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
I think it's a great idea.

01-26-2020, 07:45 PM   #47
slavearm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5CE MBB/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
This is what happens when you are a race car driver with too many friends with money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
You say that like it's a bad thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 01:17 PM   #48
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

From a racing drivers perspective, what is the actual benefit of installing a motorsport suspension over something like the KW setup of the GTS. The GTS has the huge benefit of offering a streetable ride height, while being fully adjustable (expect for camber and swaybars which is a simple mod).

At the tracks I visit in China, such as Ningbo International Circuit, GT4 cars aren't faster around one lap than similarly powered street cars with upgraded tires (slicks) and just "club sports" suspension. So I am super curious. I imagine it is related to not wanting any weight transfer when doing bumper-to-bumper racing (as opposed to just hot-lapping alone).
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2020, 06:26 AM   #49
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Very cool, subbed, personally would never do it but love to see a build
Appreciate 1
YMS255.50
      02-06-2020, 10:39 PM   #50
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Subbed - not a current buyer but in 2 see the build.

Make it a sleeper imo - basically stock looking but beefier and meaner - proper rubber, exhaust, suspension, roll cage, functional spoilers, etc but no gaudy wings, stickers , loud color accents like the orange GTS wheels. Subtle like an all black M4 CS but obvious it is an asphalt shredding brute.
Appreciate 1
YMS255.50
      02-10-2020, 01:20 AM   #51
YMS
Y Motorsport
Rep
Drives: M4 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowflash21 View Post
YMS I will be closely following you guys, but I would like to hear why did you decide to pick M4 chassis, over M2?

There are companies in Europe which already made OG M2 with simple mods that beat down GT3 RS on some tracks.

I wish you all the best, and looking forward what kind of package you will be able to offer to us.
I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. The M2 is a great platform, possibly better than the M4 but we already have the M4. Keep in mind, we do not only tune the M4. We can tune any car the customer brings us but we want to use the M4 as a starting point for the shop. Thanks for your good wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
From a racing drivers perspective, what is the actual benefit of installing a motorsport suspension over something like the KW setup of the GTS. The GTS has the huge benefit of offering a streetable ride height, while being fully adjustable (expect for camber and swaybars which is a simple mod).

At the tracks I visit in China, such as Ningbo International Circuit, GT4 cars aren't faster around one lap than similarly powered street cars with upgraded tires (slicks) and just "club sports" suspension. So I am super curious. I imagine it is related to not wanting any weight transfer when doing bumper-to-bumper racing (as opposed to just hot-lapping alone).
I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. Dampers are really a black art and it would take forever to explain in detail here. If we were to compare KW clubsport to KW 4 way, the 4 way has superior technology to move the fluid in damper and gives you much more fine adjustment than the clubsport can offer. That all equals more performance on track. The difference is enough for a racing driver to feel it within a corner or two.

Street cars can be faster than GT4 cars at some circuits. You have to keep in mind which GT4 car and the engine settings of the car you are comparing with. The Balance of Performance brings all GT4 cars to a level playing field so some of the cars are running much less power than the street versions. There is no stock street car that can be faster than a unrestricted GT4 car.
Appreciate 1
Asbjorn90.00
      02-10-2020, 07:28 AM   #52
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
Just had some additional thoughts about what YMS is offering and wondering if they are open to it:

Would it be possible to propose instead of a full blown build, instead a consulting package for HPDE enthusiasts as follows:

Level 1: blueprint car (alignment, ride height, weight, geometry), offer suspension package recommendation (mildly aggressive - minimal spherical mounts, perhaps urethane instead), shock system/springs/possible aero/wheels/tires.
-offer track time alongside racing engineer/driver to dial in the car (find settings that
work for a couple tracks)
-use telemetry to map out chassis dynamics, provide a report
-walk away with a car that just works out of the box like it was meant to for HPDE but is tolerable on the street

Level 2: same as level 1 - more aggressive, with option for cage, for the true enthusiast
that wants to put down the best lap times.

I personally feel that this is what would be a great offering. A lot of us spend tons of time/money buying components, trying different settings and end up making the chassis dynamics even worse than stock and we get frustrated, rip the parts off and
end up in this vicious cycle.

Using this approach, owners can buy their own parts (maybe YMS can offer discounts) but at least the owner knows exactly what he is putting on the car and instead YMS focuses more on the secret sauce to make all of these parts work together.

Steve
IMO, there are many race shops that can do your Level 1 and 2. My shop in VA does, they are very competent (dope alignment) and it is certainly not the only such shop around. Many people on this forum already have cars performing at Level 1, and some at Level 2.

The value the OP is providing IMO consists in the special sauce, the synergy they will provide to take the whole list of ingredients and make them greater than the sum of the parts. It is hugely exciting to see such a thing come together before our eyes, hopefully, and I wish them success.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 07:36 AM   #53
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
This does sound really cool. Best of luck to you and your new company.

Comparing to the GT3RS is interesting. Lap times of a stock 991.1 RS are meh. However, I see owners of the .1 RS show dramatic reductions in lap times with very simple bolts ons: stuffing 285/335 slicks on lightweight HREs, AP Racing brakes, GMG alignment and harnesses. With the 991.1 RS pricing now in the range of your base price built GTS, might be hard for someone to choose your option when they can get the RS, drive it for a couple years...and easily sell the car and mods.

Even better is what people are doing with the 991 Turbo platform. Same mods and these cars are chasing down Cup cars. Truly unbelievable what Porsche has done with this platform. A few bolt ons and mine is going 10mph faster in the half mile than a Bugatti Veyron or Porsche 918 and has the chassis and brakes to handle that power at the track. And hardly any mods needed.

All I am saying is your price point and potential resale should be compelling enough to make someone want your car, when there are some at that $130k level that with a few mods, are already as fast as a real racecar on the track and can be daily driven.

Cheers.
Not sure where you saw an RS for $130k. If it wasn’t in any accident, wasn’t repainted, flooded or doesn’t have like 75k miles or something, you should probably buy it.

Your typical $160k 991.1RS with $10k AP Racing brakes, $8k (?) HRE wheels and $2k harnesses isn’t $160k anymore. It will require more maintenance and expense to run than the S55 platform (can you say $600 oil changes). It is also not streetable because of the slicks, meaning it will necessitate a trailer to get to the track. The center lock wheels are a pain in the ass to deal with. I fail to see how it compares to the intent of this build.

And it is a great car, I’ve driven the .1 and .2 so I’m not criticizing it. I wish I could afford it, as it requires deep pockets to really enjoy.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread