Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-09-2021, 05:53 PM   #1
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 IR BMW M4

Snapped A Nut - Need Help Getting It Out

I was doing some suspension work and in the final stages of putting things back together I snapped 1 (maybe 2) of the strut bolts that secure the reinforcement ring to the strut mount from the top of the tower. (picture will the yellow circles is just for reference, not my picture).

Of course the other half of the bolt is still in the strut mount, how can I get that piece out without taking the suspension apart again? If I insert a new bolt will it push the broken piece out? I also thought maybe I could use a small drill bit and drill it through but didn't want to risk causing extra damage.
Attached Images

01-09-2021, 05:57 PM   #2
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

TL;DR
You busted a nut... 🤣

1. No, inserting a new bolt will not cause the remaining bolt to magically come out
2. Use extraction tool to remove the broken piece
3. Get a torque wrench and follow proper torque values
Appreciate 2
White3401392.00
Sahbatage502.50
      01-09-2021, 06:56 PM   #3
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Bro! Do not try and insert another bolt. You need to drill the center of the broken stud and use an extractor from the hardware store. Irwin is what you want. They are matched to the proper bit size, I'm thinking 5/64" extractor.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Sahbatage502.50
      01-09-2021, 07:07 PM   #4
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
TL;DR
You busted a nut... 🤣

1. No, inserting a new bolt will not cause the remaining bolt to magically come out
2. Use extraction tool to remove the broken piece
3. Get a torque wrench and follow proper torque values
hahaha yes I did, not the good kind. I used a torque wrench and was waiting for the click sounds but it just snapped.

Any suggestion on the right kind of extraction tool for this issue? I did a search and there seems to be more involved than just a single tool that can get it out.
      01-09-2021, 07:09 PM   #5
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icegrill View Post
Bro! Do not try and insert another bolt. You need to drill the center of the broken stud and use an extractor from the hardware store. Irwin is what you want. They are matched to the proper bit size, I'm thinking 5/64" extractor.
Thanks for the reply. Do I need a special drill bit or most would do the job?
      01-09-2021, 07:15 PM   #6
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

A general high speed steel drill bit will be fine. It’s not a hardened bolt. Read the extraction tool packaging. Some will come with the drill bit, others will tell you the size.

Drill on center as much as possible. Keep drill bit straight and keep it from walking.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 07:26 PM   #7
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A general high speed steel drill bit will be fine. It’s not a hardened bolt. Read the extraction tool packaging. Some will come with the drill bit, others will tell you the size.

Drill on center as much as possible. Keep drill bit straight and keep it from walking.
Got it, thank you! Just a couple more questions to one, appreciate all the help.

- do I just need to get the hole started with the drill bit or how much deeper?

- same size drill bit and extractor bit or should the drill bit be slightly smaller?
      01-09-2021, 07:42 PM   #8
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahbatage View Post
Quote:
A general high speed steel drill bit will be fine. It's not a hardened bolt. Read the extraction tool packaging. Some will come with the drill bit, others will tell you the size.

Got it, thank you! Just a couple more questions to one, appreciate all the help.

- do I just need to get the hole started with the drill bit or how much deeper?

- same size drill bit and extractor bit or should the drill bit be slightly smaller?
1. Go to ace hardware
2. Show them broken bolt
3. Match Irwin spiral extractor to bolt diameter, this should be smaller.
4. Irwin package will have required bit size, buy cobalt hardened drill bit in that size.
5.Center punch broken stud to start drill from walking
6.Drill approx. 1/4" to 1/2" deep enough to tap in the extractor. Lubricate broken bolt studs with liquid wrench. Let sit 15-30mins
7. Use and adjustable wrench to hold extractor and slowly turn cc to remove stud.
8. Repeat 5-8🙃
Appreciate 1
Sahbatage502.50
      01-11-2021, 08:26 PM   #9
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

If you need new hat bolts I have a set for cheap. They came with my MP-HAS kit and I did not need them (new, unused). A pair of new green hat gaskets is included too. Send me a PM if u want em.
      01-12-2021, 09:46 AM   #10
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
If you need new hat bolts I have a set for cheap. They came with my MP-HAS kit and I did not need them (new, unused). A pair of new green hat gaskets is included too. Send me a PM if u want em.
Damn I wish I saw this yesterday afternoon, I just ordered new bolts through the dealer. Thank you though!
      01-12-2021, 10:59 AM   #11
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

First off and no offense, but it doesnt sound like you are mechanically inclined from your comment about inserting another bolt to push the broken one through. You can still drive the car to a shop with that one bolt missing. They should be able to figure it out and cause the least amount of damage.

If you plan to try and remove yourself: Is any part of the bolt sticking out? If so, i would cut a line in the middle and use a flat head screw driver to remove. You may need to unbolt the strut from the strut tower and reposition it to the tower opening for my method. If the broken bolt is under the surface, i would do the drill and extractor. Luckily, if you make a mess, that hole is covered up when everything is assembled and wont be visible. As others suggested, use a punch, use a smaller drill bit first to start the hole and then use the one provided in the kit. The threads dont start on the strut mounts until after a ~1/8" from the surface.

If you sheared the bolt trying to install, you may have cross threaded it in or did it shear from overtightening? If its crossthreaded, get a thread chaser and go from the bottom of the hole to fix the threads.

Last edited by hC1001; 01-12-2021 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 03:05 PM   #12
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hC1001 View Post
First off and no offense, but it doesnt sound like you are mechanically inclined from your comment about inserting another bolt to push the broken one through. You can still drive the car to a shop with that one bolt missing. They should be able to figure it out and cause the least amount of damage.

If you plan to try and remove yourself: Is any part of the bolt sticking out? If so, i would cut a line in the middle and use a flat head screw driver to remove. You may need to unbolt the strut from the strut tower and reposition it to the tower opening for my method. If the broken bolt is under the surface, i would do the drill and extractor. Luckily, if you make a mess, that hole is covered up when everything is assembled and wont be visible. As others suggested, use a punch, use a smaller drill bit first to start the hole and then use the one provided in the kit. The threads dont start on the strut mounts until after a ~1/8" from the surface.

If you sheared the bolt trying to install, you may have cross threaded it in or did it shear from overtightening? If its crossthreaded, get a thread chaser and go from the bottom of the hole to fix the threads.
Haha no offense taken, I'm definitely an amateur but typically able enough if there are instructions that I can follow.

There are no parts of the bolt sticking out. I'm quite certain the bolt sheared from over tightening. I am probably going to try the extraction method, based on the instructions above and videos I've watched it seems fairly straight forward, my only hesitation is having to use a small drill bit and extractor and breaking those.
      01-12-2021, 03:13 PM   #13
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

If you have a Dremel with a pointed (dentist style) bit it can be much easier to make a dimple in the broken bolt. It can be hard to use a center punch down in the hole depending on the break...sometimes flat (lucky) and sometimes pointy (not lucky).

I broke too many bits, messed up threads, and then remembered my Dremel.
      01-12-2021, 07:40 PM   #14
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
If you have a Dremel with a pointed (dentist style) bit it can be much easier to make a dimple in the broken bolt. It can be hard to use a center punch down in the hole depending on the break...sometimes flat (lucky) and sometimes pointy (not lucky).

I broke too many bits, messed up threads, and then remembered my Dremel.
I think I got pretty lucky, it's flat for the most part but the bolt is small so there's not much surface area. I'm gonna take it slow and try to get the hole right, if I get bad vibes I'll take it somewhere instead