Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-09-2021, 09:25 AM   #1
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Anyone using Powerflex Poly Tension Strut/Thrust Arm Bushings?

I see a lot of info on the monoballs for the thrust arms (aka tension strut), but next to nothing about polyurethane bushings.

It seems that about half of those using monoball bearings get increased noise, and half do not. I would rather not spend $300-$500 to find out that there is in fact increased noise.

Is anyone using the poly bushings instead? How much did they improve steering feel and response for you?

I do plan on having the steering coded to GTS specs later, but I will most likely do these bushings while I am doing dampers and springs in the next few weeks.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 09:33 AM   #2
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Bimmerworld sealed mono ball bushings here and couldn't say anything better about them. No additional noise, and the front feels so solid now under braking and turning.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 12:50 PM   #3
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks. That seems to be the consensus, but I have seen a few posts around here complaining of noise. I believe most of them have been the Fall Line monoballs.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 08:02 PM   #4
jballer123
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011m3 zcp

I had them on my e92 m3 and they were great, , no noise and the front end was more responsive, I have a set of the offset version for my f80 to put in, for the increased camber and caster.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 09:03 PM   #5
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post
I see a lot of info on the monoballs for the thrust arms (aka tension strut), but next to nothing about polyurethane bushings.

It seems that about half of those using monoball bearings get increased noise, and half do not. I would rather not spend $300-$500 to find out that there is in fact increased noise.

Is anyone using the poly bushings instead? How much did they improve steering feel and response for you?

I do plan on having the steering coded to GTS specs later, but I will most likely do these bushings while I am doing dampers and springs in the next few weeks.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
I installed the PF thrust bushings. i cant really say they increased feel and response by a noticeable difference. It does feel a little better, maybe 10% better than stock. Went with them because they were cheap, easy to install and stock-like. I didnt want any harshness or noises.

Maybe you should look into the rogue engineering bushings.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 12:10 PM   #6
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hC1001 View Post
I installed the PF thrust bushings. i cant really say they increased feel and response by a noticeable difference. It does feel a little better, maybe 10% better than stock. Went with them because they were cheap, easy to install and stock-like. I didnt want any harshness or noises.

Maybe you should look into the rogue engineering bushings.
I felt the same way about the poly LCABs on my e36. Not much difference at all.
I'll probably go with the TMS monoballs for this. They are <$300, so if they do make noise, I won't be as upset if I have to take them back out.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 06:38 PM   #7
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

I ended up getting the Turner Motorsport Monoballs.

Zero noise and much-improved feel. 👍👍
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 06:58 PM   #8
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Rogue Engineering urethane blue (track). Great Performance, but at times can be loud/creak
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 10:59 AM   #9
m3elmo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

OP: I'm in the same boat as you too. - I was also considering monoball from Dinan as well. a bit more expensive but I've had them on my RTAB on E46M3 and had zero noise/issues etc. it's possible we've gotten to the point where the newer versions of these monoballs aren't as noisy and the older versions were. or it could be installer specific.

Also if you have a ZCP - the GTS coding I'm not sure if I would call it an improvement. I think it really just created a half step more stiffer than before so everything is (+) which I kind of dislike. Steering feel is lacking in this chassis so hopefully these thrust arm bushings help. I run the car in comfort 100% of the time.

Also does anyone have a link for any one that makes these with these already pressed in?

Last edited by m3elmo; 01-27-2021 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 04:27 PM   #10
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3elmo View Post
OP: I'm in the same boat as you too. - I was also considering monoball from Dinan as well. a bit more expensive but I've had them on my RTAB on E46M3 and had zero noise/issues etc. it's possible we've gotten to the point where the newer versions of these monoballs aren't as noisy and the older versions were. or it could be installer specific.

Also if you have a ZCP - the GTS coding I'm not sure if I would call it an improvement. I think it really just created a half step more stiffer than before so everything is (+) which I kind of dislike. Steering feel is lacking in this chassis so hopefully these thrust arm bushings help. I run the car in comfort 100% of the time.

Also does anyone have a link for any one that makes these with these already pressed in?
I have a non-ZCP, with ZCP dampers, coded for GTS steering (and the dampers coded to CS spec). I had that done about a week before I installed the Monoballs, and adding the monoballs did make a noticeable difference. To me it feels perfect now.
The steering felt like marshmallow to me before doing those two things. If yours is still lacking feel after coding, the monoballs are definitely worth a shot.

Turner Motorsport sells a set of thrust arms with their monoballs already pressed-in. The cost for their ready-made version is less than Dinan charges for the monoballs alone, if I remember correctly.
Appreciate 1
m3elmo49.50
      01-28-2021, 04:29 PM   #11
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic1 View Post
Rogue Engineering urethane blue (track). Great Performance, but at times can be loud/creak
I got the TMS monoballs. No noises at all so far.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 04:45 PM   #12
richf80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

I also got the turner monoball, already pressed in. No noise and has one track day on them already. Greatly improved steering feel.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 07:01 PM   #13
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Shameless plug:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1793398
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 02:33 AM   #14
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera S

I just had the turner monoballs installed and the steering feel is improved. No real noticeable noise as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 10:12 AM   #15
m3elmo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post
I have a non-ZCP, with ZCP dampers, coded for GTS steering (and the dampers coded to CS spec). I had that done about a week before I installed the Monoballs, and adding the monoballs did make a noticeable difference. To me it feels perfect now.
The steering felt like marshmallow to me before doing those two things. If yours is still lacking feel after coding, the monoballs are definitely worth a shot.
Perfect answer since my setup is coded same as yours. only difference being dinan rear links and dinan HAS.

monoballs here we come! - if installed properly I'm thinking this shouldn't require an alignment afterwards.

edit - would this also fit the bill: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...treet-version/

Last edited by m3elmo; 01-29-2021 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 09:58 AM   #16
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3elmo View Post
Perfect answer since my setup is coded same as yours. only difference being dinan rear links and dinan HAS.

monoballs here we come! - if installed properly I'm thinking this shouldn't require an alignment afterwards.

edit - would this also fit the bill: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...treet-version/
Those are the lower control arms, not the tension struts that contain the monoballs we're talking about.
They do make a tension strut like that, but I would stay away from exposed (non-sealed) rod ends like that. They dont usually last long on the street, since there is nothing to keep moisture and debris from getting into the joint and ruining it over time. And when those joints fail, they sound like absolute shit.

You shouldn't need an alignment after installing the tension strut monoballs, but it would depend on the condition of the original bushings at the time that the last alignment was done. If the original bushings were torn or worn-out the last time it was aligned, that may have affected the toe when they adjusted it. If that's the case, putting the new monoballs in will change the alignment (probably caster) and the toe will therefore also change. If the bushings are still healthy (mine were still stout at 73k miles) it probably won't change much, if at all.
Either way, if it hasn't been aligned in a while (more than a year) it's worth at least having it checked. Toe will change with one decent pothole or bump in the road, so you never know.
Appreciate 1
m3elmo49.50
      01-31-2021, 10:21 PM   #17
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Sedan

I have the "street" front control arms non-offset caster option Powerflex bushings on my car for 2-weeks now.

Hard to isolate its individual impact because I have all of the powerflex bushings made for the f80 installed, except the 2 rear sway bar bushings, along with the Turner Diff mount bracket, to provide an accurate assessment of just those bushings alone. My single rear Diff bushing was cracked but since the drivetrain was coming off (upgrading clutch) I decided to do as many of these bushings as possible.

Car drives and feels brand new overall BUT I have not pushed her to the max or at the track yet due to inclement weather.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 12:56 PM   #18
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320 Si, BMW M4 comp. BMW M

I run the SPL solid excentric thrust arm bushings. They increase noice, because they are solid. But steering input and road feel is much better. Harscher over railroad crossings and such but that's how it is. You have to choose. Why people doesn't feel much difference with Powerflex is because they are only 18% stiffer than a stock bushing.
Appreciate 0