Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

11-28-2020, 03:45 AM   #1
garrettjusmc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

UPDATE: If You Could Have Any Suspension?

UPDATE: I listened to your guys' feedback and I want to say thank you. I got in contact with Alex from Alpine and had him code in the CS Dampening settings.... WOW. What. A. Difference. The car is almost exactly what I was hoping for in ride quality. So thank you, what an improvement in daily driving in comfort setting. So much more smooth, the rebounding is far superior and friendly! Secondly, I couldn't recommend a nicer guy to give a few bucks to for the coding. He was so generous with his pricing I was flabbergasted, and he coded quite a few other sweet settings in I didn't have. So also a free recommendation for him! Happy to put someone in touch w/him should you have any questions. Threw in a cool photo as well. Looked back at the car before I cleaned out the garage and got this reflection from some melted snow in the driveway. Pure luck and no filter! END OF UPDATE

I am in an 18 F80 Comp running the KW HAS kit w fall line adjustable sway bar end links, sitting on the 513M wheels.

I don't track my car, it's a "nice day daily driver" as my wife puts it, and I'm overall happy with how she rides. However, I am always interested in improving the quality of the ride. One way I did that was by going to the 18s versus the 20s/666M wheels.

What I'm curious to know is if there a suspension company that provides a better dampening solution than the KW HAS kit? Something that is a little more smooth when it hits rougher road or small bumps? It seems like it could be better... I know about the MP kit, is there a coil system out there that keeps your car riding like a dream while also allowing you to use your push button dampening settings?

Looking at the JRZ suspension it seems like I could likely increase the ride quality of the car substantially but I'd have to do the EDC Delete and lose the adjustable dampening. Could I use my HAS kit and simply upgrade my dampeners (Bilstein B6?)? Can a suspension guru educate me a little on what's out there for someone who like to carve the roads a little, enjoys a little bit of the lowered stance, but mostly wants to enjoy a really smooth car? And pretend cost wasn't an issue.

If you have some links to products when you describe them that would help me learn if you don't mind sparing the time.
Attached Images

Last edited by garrettjusmc; 11-28-2020 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
AND1_M369.00
      11-28-2020, 05:27 AM   #2
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Since I have EDC and the logic is built into my car and I dont track...it would have to be Bilstein followed by KW. my first M4 & M2 had passive and it was easy but I had track suspension all the time.... having plush for DD is a bit nice
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 10:40 AM   #3
garrettjusmc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower_and_hounds View Post
Since I have EDC and the logic is built into my car and I dont track...it would have to be Bilstein followed by KW. my first M4 & M2 had passive and it was easy but I had track suspension all the time.... having plush for DD is a bit nice
Thanks for the feedback!

So to make sure I understand what you're saying is you would do a Bilstein kit like this for enhanced ride quality over the HAS kit?:

https://autocouturemotoring.com/prod...pension-system
      11-28-2020, 11:49 AM   #4
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

My MCS 2-way suspension is a better ride than my oem edc dampers...much better in fact
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 12:01 PM   #5
garrettjusmc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXDC5 View Post
My MCS 2-way suspension is a better ride than my oem edc dampers...much better in fact
Those are nice but you lose the EDC functionality when you go to those right?
      11-28-2020, 12:18 PM   #6
guess2098
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Taycan GTS, 2018 M4, 2016

My daily m4 had moton, kw cs 3ways, and now has ohlins ttx. Moton is good but too much noise and hard to adjust. Kw cs 3way damping feels hard all the ways. Ttx is far better than any of those but yet the price is not so friendly.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2020, 12:43 PM   #7
garrettjusmc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guess2098 View Post
My daily m4 had moton, kw cs 3ways, and now has ohlins ttx. Moton is good but too much noise and hard to adjust. Kw cs 3way damping feels hard all the ways. Ttx is far better than any of those but yet the price is not so friendly.
Are the Ohlins TTX only one model? https://www.ohlinsusa.com/parts/2015...x-pro-bmr-gr00

Although I have no doubt these are an awesome system, are they a great daily driver shock/system? I know they are adjustable, but their advertisement doesn't mention anything about streetability. And you are on point about the price. However, if I could have a car that drove like a dream on crummy local roads and on the highway, I'd pull the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 12:56 PM   #8
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettjusmc View Post
Thanks for the feedback!

So to make sure I understand what you're saying is you would do a Bilstein kit like this for enhanced ride quality over the HAS kit?:

https://autocouturemotoring.com/prod...pension-system
Exactly. The KW HAS uses your stock dampers... kind of like just putting springs on the car except you can adjust the ride height. With springs you can't. And when you change the spring rate the dampers struggle to adapt and function as designed because they are designed to work with a certain linear spring. The kits have springs and dampers designed to work together so they function better overall. But they are pricey
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 01:47 PM   #9
garrettjusmc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Exactly. The KW HAS uses your stock dampers... kind of like just putting springs on the car except you can adjust the ride height. With springs you can't. And when you change the spring rate the dampers struggle to adapt and function as designed because they are designed to work with a certain linear spring. The kits have springs and dampers designed to work together so they function better overall. But they are pricey
From reading it also sounds like the Ohlins are also a really good option as well... And maybe just leaving the EDC setup altogether is the way to go.... So many opinions out there.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 01:54 PM   #10
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

AST 5100 series - can either run oem style front progressive springs or linear front springs to work with camber plates.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2020, 02:08 PM   #11
garrettjusmc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What if I kept my HAS kit and went to an upgraded dampener like a Bilstein, is that possible?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 02:25 PM   #12
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera S

If you have EDC and HAS you may want to try the CS Damper coding. I have MP HAS and was about to go to KW DDC until I had the CS coding done. Now I'm pretty happy with it.
Appreciate 2
      11-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #13
GregSM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Kind of in same boat - want to do something for my stock '18 zcp with 20" wheels. Was leaning towards the Bilstein B16 but in speaking with folks seems like DD would be rough. Then was thinking KW's V3 but the drop on the car is pretty much slammed so front lip clearance etc. is too low IMHO. So read how great the Bilstein B6 with Eibach springs but was looking for a bit more drop as I understand the B6 tend to raise the car a bit, so overall drop would be minimal. So was wondering if something like the EMD springs that have a larger drop paired with B6 damptronic would be the ticket. But don't know anyone that has tried this or at least posted a review. Anyway, ideally would be nice to keep the edc, have a reasonable drop and improve handling without killing DD. Anyone tried the B6's with other than Eibach springs? Does anyone know Eibach spring rates vs EMD?
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2020, 04:19 PM   #14
garrettjusmc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by irunalot View Post
If you have EDC and HAS you may want to try the CS Damper coding. I have MP HAS and was about to go to KW DDC until I had the CS coding done. Now I'm pretty happy with it.

Did you go through "Alex at Alpine"? I see his name everywhere but I don't know how to contact him. I will give it a go too.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 04:23 PM   #15
garrettjusmc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSM3 View Post
Kind of in same boat - want to do something for my stock '18 zcp with 20" wheels. Was leaning towards the Bilstein B16 but in speaking with folks seems like DD would be rough. Then was thinking KW's V3 but the drop on the car is pretty much slammed so front lip clearance etc. is too low IMHO. So read how great the Bilstein B6 with Eibach springs but was looking for a bit more drop as I understand the B6 tend to raise the car a bit, so overall drop would be minimal. So was wondering if something like the EMD springs that have a larger drop paired with B6 damptronic would be the ticket. But don't know anyone that has tried this or at least posted a review. Anyway, ideally would be nice to keep the edc, have a reasonable drop and improve handling without killing DD. Anyone tried the B6's with other than Eibach springs? Does anyone know Eibach spring rates vs EMD?

I can tell you from personal experience, if you lower your car on those 20's the ride quality is night and day if you go to a set of 18's! That sidewall makes a MASSIVE difference. The other thing I am doing since I am a Virginian, is calling Fortune Auto and see if they may just make me a completely custom suspension: https://fortune-auto.com/coilovers/510series/

I am gonna create a separate thread and pulse some F80 drivers to see if they have used them before. Since they are local, it sure seems like it is worth a shot talking with them about what I am after and seeing if we could nail it, even if that means getting away from the EDC.

Last edited by garrettjusmc; 11-28-2020 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 04:53 PM   #16
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettjusmc View Post
Quote:

Did you go through "Alex at Alpine"? I see his name everywhere but I don't know how to contact him. I will give it a go too.
I went with Kubax86 as I wanted the full screen CarPlay as well. It really did make a very noticeable difference. The dampening felt a bit sloppy and uncontrolled before the change.

If I were going to spend any remarkable time at the track I'd get coil overs, but that will just eat in to my Pcar GT3 savings. I'm really trying to pace myself with the mods on this car 🙂
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 05:27 PM   #17
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

I'd just say switch to the MP HAS and call it a day. You have EDC, it's a waste to toss that away if you're not turning it into a hardcore track toy.
So it'll still be a tad harsher than a regular 3 series, so what, it's a sports car.

I have KW V2 on my 335i and I'd say it rides better than the M4 at the recommended damper settings, but where it cannot match the EDC is being able to handle a larger variety of situations at once. If I drive fast over harsh bumps the car with KWs is more likely to be feel unsettled, while the EDC seems to soak up anything and just sticks to road like glue.

You're going to sacrifice that benefit if you go for non-EDC coilovers.

Otherwise if a comfy fast daily driver is what you want... Consider a 340i or an Audi S5
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 05:32 PM   #18
garrettjusmc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I went with Kubax86 as I wanted the full screen CarPlay as well. It really did make a very noticeable difference. The dampening felt a bit sloppy and uncontrolled before the change.

If I were going to spend any remarkable time at the track I'd get coil overs, but that will just eat in to my Pcar GT3 savings. I'm really trying to pace myself with the mods on this car 🙂

I hear ya there. What is the full screen car play?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 05:38 PM   #19
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep

By default Apple CarPlay only uses half of the screen. Kubax86 has an update that will allow for Apple CarPlay to use the full screen. I use Waze and Tidal (music app) a lot so this was a must for me.

If your looking at coding the CS EDC, think about getting the GTS diff, steering and euro MDM settings as well. I can't speak to the GTS DTC coding as I have a 6MT but it's also something to consider.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 06:28 PM   #20
garrettjusmc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
By default Apple CarPlay only uses half of the screen. Kubax86 has an update that will allow for Apple CarPlay to use the full screen. I use Waze and Tidal (music app) a lot so this was a must for me.

If your looking at coding the CS EDC, think about getting the GTS diff, steering and euro MDM settings as well. I can't speak to the GTS DTC coding as I have a 6MT but it's also something to consider.
Oh that's super cool, ya I will do that. If I remember correctly my BM3 I think offers the GTS trans stuff, I just haven't used it yet. I'll hit Bubax86 up. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 06:35 PM   #21
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

One simple thing is to check tire pressure. My 20s were overinflated by a couple psi once and it made the ride so rough. I will get roasted for this but I ride at 31 psi now. I for sure feel the difference compared to the recommended 32.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2020, 09:57 PM   #22
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

I ride on 19s since I live near Philly and all the crap roads. Stock suspension was too stiff and MP-HAS fixed me right.