Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-25-2017, 12:29 PM   #199
MMMCOOKIES55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP/ '16 ATS-V

I got it for the seats alone. I already planned on changing suspension, wheels, tune and exhaust but those seats are killer so .... lol
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 05:00 PM   #200
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Comp package is nice, but it depends on if the value is worth it to you. Some people hate the wheels, plan to change the exhaust, tune, etc anyway so if you don't care for the wheels or exhaust or plan to mod your car anyway, it may be better $$ saved to just put that $5k or so towards future mods.

Really has nothing to do whether you can afford it or not. I personally love the 20's and the black tipped exhaust.

Only reason I didn't get it was because the deal was just too good on the 17 M3 I got and I didn't want to wait. Otherwise I wouldn't have hesitated checking that in the ordered option box. Sound wise I didn't notice that much. F80's don't really sound that good stock either way comp package or not IMHO unless you go into an aftermarket setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 06:37 PM   #201
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Why should resale value be considered? The competition package depreciates just like any other option on the vehicle. Sure it may have a higher value upon resale than a similar car without it, but then again you pay more for it initially and receive pennies on the dollar upon sale. Its foolish to tick any option box based on re-sale unless by some miracle that option is worth MORE upon sale than it was upon purchase.
It should be considered is all I'm saying. I don't think anyone in their right mind would state that the ZCP should be ticked solely for its resale value, but in 5-7 years when the F8X dips significantly in price, the ones with the ZCP will stand out and attract more buyers vs. their non ZCP brethren. The price difference will be minimal, but it'll stand out.

I know when I was considering an E92 M3, I was mainly looking at ZCP cars, even though the difference was fairly minimal.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 06:48 PM   #202
mercedesc63
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 BMW Z3M Coupe S54 Slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaman View Post
I already ordered my M3 2017 without it, but I check the M adjustable dampers. Now I'm wondering if I should not add it to the list.

The seats are different, but their look is similar.....are they so different ? I prefer the 19's wheels from the base model (we don't have 18's in Canada), and I could accommodate the extra power.

Other that that, what are the main difference between comp package and standard ? I'm also afraid of the car's stiffness on our beautiful Canadian road, full of holes.....Since it's my daily driver for all seasons, I don't want to hate the car because it's too stiff on public road. My previous ride was an Audi S4 2014....

Help !!
Update on this topic...

Rode in a 18' ZCP and it was exactly how I imagined. First of all I want to say definitely livable. But the fact of the matter putting 20s with a 30 profile sidewall tire on any car will make it rougher.

Bottom line the car rides very busy in general, jerks your head around (frequently and in an unpleasant way) and, the steering is definitely heavier. In no way does it ride better than the 18s or 19s that's just impossible.

Now BMW have learned that their subframe bolted directly onto the car makes for a rough ride. The new M5 now has 35 profile sidewall on their 20s.
      08-25-2017, 09:35 PM   #203
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesc63 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaman View Post
I already ordered my M3 2017 without it, but I check the M adjustable dampers. Now I'm wondering if I should not add it to the list.

The seats are different, but their look is similar.....are they so different ? I prefer the 19's wheels from the base model (we don't have 18's in Canada), and I could accommodate the extra power.

Other that that, what are the main difference between comp package and standard ? I'm also afraid of the car's stiffness on our beautiful Canadian road, full of holes.....Since it's my daily driver for all seasons, I don't want to hate the car because it's too stiff on public road. My previous ride was an Audi S4 2014....

Help !!
Update on this topic...

Rode in a 18' ZCP and it was exactly how I imagined. First of all I want to say definitely livable. But the fact of the matter putting 20s with a 30 profile sidewall tire on any car will make it rougher.

Bottom line the car rides very busy in general, jerks your head around (frequently and in an unpleasant way) and, the steering is definitely heavier. In no way does it ride better than the 18s or 19s that's just impossible.

Now BMW have learned that their subframe bolted directly onto the car makes for a rough ride. The new M5 now has 35 profile sidewall on their 20s.
Got mine back in April with 19' 437's...Awesome ride, just right.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 11:41 PM   #204
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesc63 View Post
Update on this topic...

Impossible?

You have a rather limited understanding of suspension tuning. To make that as a blanket statement makes me think you don't understand suspension at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 12:01 AM   #205
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

I don't have statistics on the M4 but as a general rule if a tire does not enough sidewall or too stiff of a sidewall cornering grip will be compromised as the tire will not have enough slip angle to achieve maximum grip.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 12:04 AM   #206
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I don't have statistics on the M4 but as a general rule if a tire does not enough sidewall or too stiff of a sidewall cornering grip will be compromised as the tire will not have enough slip angle to achieve maximum grip.
Not just cornering - there's a reason dragsters don't run 50" rims with 1 profile tyres. They use high profile tyres for very good reasons.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 12:11 AM   #207
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4 ZCP

I went from a 2016 base with passive suspension and 19s to a 2018 ZCP with 20s (black 666m wheels are great looking IMO). Performance-wise, the biggest difference I notice is power delivery. The torque doesn't rip the tires loose in 2nd gear anymore and the power curve feels closer to a free-revving V8 (not quite, but closer) but the 285s vs 275s in the rear may be helping with this too. I think the 2016 actually "felt" faster because of this, IMO. I really don't notice anything substantial in the ride difference between the 2 but both were lowered on the same Macht Schnell springs with very little time on the stock springs.

In regards to the seats, I think the ZCP seats are marginally more comfortable even without the adjustable lumbar support. I feel like the lumbar support the ZCP seats provide is where I would keep it anyway, even if it was adjustable.

The rest of the differences are negligible (black accents, exhaust tips, start up roar, etc.) other than the exhaust note of course, which has a fairly obvious difference, although it still has a little bit of undesirable rasp, especially when the engine is cold.

All in all, whether the $4,500ish for the ZCP package is worth it is certainly a personal preference. "Value" is completely subjective, although I would definitely pick a ZCP in any imaginable scenario.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 05:27 AM   #208
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Not just cornering - there's a reason dragsters don't run 50" rims with 1 profile tyres. They use high profile tyres for very good reasons.
A big reason is that they use the tire as a "variable transmission" as the car accelerates. Comparing with a dragster tire is not really appropriate.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #209
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
A big reason is that they use the tire as a "variable transmission" as the car accelerates. Comparing with a dragster tire is not really appropriate.
I'm just saying that a taller profile tends to have fewer traction issues both in a straight line and cornering. A lower profile tyre allows the car manufacturer to tune the ride via the suspension, and not have to allow for the unknown sidewall effects - I say unknown because different brands of similar profile tyres all have different stiffness in the sidewalls. Taking 50 profile Michelins off a car and installing 50 profile Kamakuza's from Elbownia will have an effect on the handling for sure. Taking 20 profiles off and replacing them with similar 20 profiles will have less effect on the handling, but traction problems could happen.
Appreciate 1
DS_BMW1603.00
      08-29-2017, 08:54 AM   #210
Throttleblip
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 ZCP 2016

I have tried both and bought the ZCP. For me the mayor factor was the sound of the ZCP is much more natural. Just for that alone it is worth it. The 19 wheels can be ordered on the ZCP. Comfort is not an issue with the ZCP with 20 inch wheels. My take..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 01:30 PM   #211
Bonzer103
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY/SO M3

I have a '15 M3. Saw a new CP up and close and personal for the first time and was blown away how better the sound and look (I was shocked ho much I loved the 666 wheel, pics were always 'meh'). I love my car, but would love to have the CP
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 03:46 AM   #212
Seniorleb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 SO M4 ZCP

If u are planning to get ur new M4 and willing to pay little more, get the ZCP

If u are planning to trade in ur 05-07 M4 with the new LCI, get the ZCP

If u dont care for the ZCP Changes (check other posts) and dont like the wheels, get the standard
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #213
TJCall
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 Competition Package

Get it..you won't regret it.
Appreciate 1
hanman194.50
      09-11-2017, 04:31 AM   #214
Kimeran
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

My old man had a standard M4, I just got a 2018 M3 ZCP.
The difference is definitely noticeable for me.

I really didn't like the wheels, and already made arrangements with a friend to swop the 20s for his 19s. After getting the car, and living with it for a few days, I really started to like the wheels and cannot picture the car without it.
I don't really mod my cars and generally keep them for a long time, so I was happy getting a ZCP.
If I had every intention of modding it, then I would have ignored that option.
Appreciate 1
Habber3515.00
      09-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #215
Motodude310
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

I really didn't like the wheels, and already made arrangements with a friend to swop the 20s for his 19s. After getting the car, and living with it for a few days, I really started to like the wheels and cannot picture the car without it.
I don't really mod my cars and generally keep them for a long time, so I was happy getting a ZCP.
Even if you plan on modding it, it seems like the optiins the ZCP comes with will save at least the $4,750 in mod money. The black grills, badges and zcp exhaust alone make it worth the $$ in my mind. Then wjen you add in the tighter steering, better suspension and improved diff and power delivery it's a no brainer. I have to get it because I know I would regret not getting it. I could also care less if it's less comfortable. Not buying this car to have a grocery getter.
Appreciate 2
      09-11-2017, 07:34 PM   #216
Teeone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

I recently bought a 2017. Late spring the only available car for a test drive locally (Detroit area) was a comp package. After a short drive there was no question in my mind that I would tire quickly of both the nervous ride and the stiff ride as I planned to daily drive this car. So I figured no M3 for me and ordered an Audi RS3. Fast forward a few months and I was having second thoughts as I always yearned for an M3. Found several local M3's with 19" wheels and adaptive suspension and test drove them, along with a 440i gran coupe. Felt that, for my needs and wants, I could tolerate the ride of the standard M3 as a daily to work in comfort mode. So I searched for the nation for new vehicles and found what I was looking for in Iowa. Got a good deal and flew out a week later. I'm probably a bit older than the average owner (57)and find the ride and exhaust tone great for my personal needs. 10 years ago, I would have ordered a comp package,however, regardless of perceived or real ride differences. So I am the proud new owner of an Alpine White M3. Glad to join the group here. These are awesome cars in my book.
Appreciate 4
Thescout134947.00
hanman194.50
IM2C2066.50
      09-11-2017, 08:09 PM   #217
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeone View Post
I recently bought a 2017. Late spring the only available car for a test drive locally (Detroit area) was a comp package. After a short drive there was no question in my mind that I would tire quickly of both the nervous ride and the stiff ride as I planned to daily drive this car. So I figured no M3 for me and ordered an Audi RS3. Fast forward a few months and I was having second thoughts as I always yearned for an M3. Found several local M3's with 19" wheels and adaptive suspension and test drove them, along with a 440i gran coupe. Felt that, for my needs and wants, I could tolerate the ride of the standard M3 as a daily to work in comfort mode. So I searched for the nation for new vehicles and found what I was looking for in Iowa. Got a good deal and flew out a week later. I'm probably a bit older than the average owner (57)and find the ride and exhaust tone great for my personal needs. 10 years ago, I would have ordered a comp package,however, regardless of perceived or real ride differences. So I am the proud new owner of an Alpine White M3. Glad to join the group here. These are awesome cars in my book.
Welcome and congrats!
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #218
M4FOREVER
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i 535i

Congrats and welcome.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 09:29 PM   #219
hanman
BMW ENTHUSIAST
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 COMPETITION

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeone View Post
Congrats and welcome they are amazing cars
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 10:17 PM   #220
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

Also a ZCP owner but declined the 666'ers, some regret.
Appreciate 0