R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-11-2019, 05:57 PM   #2927
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Trabant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I thought that the turbos would make up for the lower air pressure at higher altitudes.
Don't know, as far as a "BM3" tune is concerned.

That's why I ask??

Albeit, the track is practically at sea level.

10-12-2019, 04:27 AM   #2928
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Just flashed the cs+ map and am really impressed with the drive ability, throttle tip in is no different to oe, the whole tune feels factory, there are no issues with drive ability at all

I could feel more pull from midrange up, nice linear feel right to redline

I saw a beta cs+ map with note of improved throttle in sport+, I assume this is scaling back throttle tip in, but I don't think you need it tbh

I'll give the stage 1 map a go soon, but I suspect as with other tuning platforms I've tried, the more power you add, the more sensitive the throttle becomes and harder the car is to drive smoothly

I'm also wrapped that the burble is working properly, I had issues with both bpm and oft where the burble maps were switching, where sport was louder/more aggressive than sport+

Is there any way to get burble without having asd enabled? I had to go in and enable it otherwise burble wasn't working. What if I then coded it off again with BimmerCode/Carly?

Quick pull in 2nd through midrange - full car specs in description

Appreciate 1
      10-12-2019, 10:31 AM   #2929
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep

I, personally am not in love with factory/stock ("oe") ZCP Throttle response.

There is too much (If this is what it means?) "tip in".

Cheers!

Last edited by Trevorstein; 10-12-2019 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 10:34 AM   #2930
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorstein View Post
I, personally am not in love with factory/stock ZCP Throttle response.

Cheers!

Stage 1 is smooth and addicting. You can customize the torque in 1-6 gears. Try it you'll like it.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2019, 11:26 AM   #2931
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Stage 1 is smooth and addicting. You can customize the torque in 1-6 gears. Try it you'll like it.
Does having the ability to adjust the torque within gears = a change in throttle response?

10-12-2019, 12:55 PM   #2932
TrueNorthM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White BMW M3 (DCT)

I've run Stage1 93 all summer.

Going back to CS tune for the winter.

I found throttle feel to be as good if not better on the BM3 Stage 1 tune. Perhaps part of it is the GTS DCT flash which seems to help with both smoothness and shift times too.
      10-12-2019, 04:21 PM   #2933
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Does having the ability to adjust the torque within gears = a change in throttle response?

It prevents spinning the tires off in 1st and 2nd 😉. I think the throttle response is very smooth. If you have a manual, it shifts WAY better since the rpm's drop between gears like they should.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2019, 09:43 PM   #2934
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorthM3 View Post

I found throttle feel to be as good if not better on the BM3 Stage 1 tune. Perhaps part of it is the GTS DCT flash which seems to help with both smoothness and shift times too.
Agreed the throttle in sport+ moving off from rest was vastly improved when I flashed cs trans with thor

I'll give the stage 1 a go today

What's the consensus around boost limiting, 20 1st and 10 2nd?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 10:38 AM   #2935
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
For PTF, do you have any plans to add direct ENET cable interface support for iOS or Android phones, thus eliminating the need for the OBD Agent when using a cell phone/tablet with BM3?

I have noticed that more BMW car app makers now offer a direct interface using an ENET cable as a connection option. For either iPhone or Android, you would still need a lightning to ethernet adapter (iOS) or a USB to ethernet adapter (Android) - both of which are available and fairly inexpensive adapters. I am not a software engineer, but I would think modern/current iOS or Android devices would have the necessary processing power to perform the functions of the OBD Agent when combined with the correct adapter to use with an ENET cable. While some may prefer the current wireless connectivity option via the OBD Agent (especially those who like to run the BM3 app routinely while driving), I think having the option for a direct wired connection to your device with an ENET cable would be good to have as well.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 2
Remonster824.00
gspannu199.50
      10-14-2019, 11:40 AM   #2936
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

Would really like an option for a built in 2-step/No lift shift for us manual guys. Companies like cobb offer this with their tuners. It would be great to see something like this added. I did email PTF about it and I believe its something they are looking into but more interest might push it higher on the list.
      10-14-2019, 03:02 PM   #2937
TrueNorthM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White BMW M3 (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post

Sounds about right for a stage1 Map. You'll still probably get some spin in 1st and 2nd even with the boost reduction, but it certainly helps.
      10-14-2019, 06:14 PM   #2938
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsopoulos View Post
Would really like an option for a built in 2-step/No lift shift for us manual guys. Companies like cobb offer this with their tuners. It would be great to see something like this added. I did email PTF about it and I believe its something they are looking into but more interest might push it higher on the list.
Interesting...

Could you please elaborate.

10-15-2019, 08:19 AM   #2939
Evren
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Coupe

How can i download the log file to my computer? Is is possible?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 09:14 AM   #2940
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting...

Could you please elaborate.

A 2-step (basically launch control) allows you to set a rev limit value that is activated via the speed sensor and clutch. So at a stop, say at a drag strip tee, you can build a small amount of boost but a better launch.

A no lift shift, is exactly what it sounds like. Allows your to engage the clutch and shift without having to release the throttle. Its achieved by the ecu controlling things like throttle, ignition, and fuel during that short amount of the time clutch is engaged.
      10-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #2941
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
A 2-step (basically launch control) allows you to set a rev limit value that is activated via the speed sensor and clutch. So at a stop, say at a drag strip tee, you can build a small amount of boost but a better launch.

A no lift shift, is exactly what it sounds like. Allows your to engage the clutch and shift without having to release the throttle. Its achieved by the ecu controlling things like throttle, ignition, and fuel during that short amount of the time clutch is engaged.
Ok., - Still lost here - So, how would this (be applied to) work with a MT??

10-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #2942
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

Quote:
Just flashed the cs+ map and am really impressed with the drive ability, throttle tip in is no different to oe, the whole tune feels factory, there are no issues with drive ability at all

I could feel more pull from midrange up, nice linear feel right to redline

I saw a beta cs+ map with note of improved throttle in sport+, I assume this is scaling back throttle tip in, but I don't think you need it tbh

I'll give the stage 1 map a go soon, but I suspect as with other tuning platforms I've tried, the more power you add, the more sensitive the throttle becomes and harder the car is to drive smoothly

I'm also wrapped that the burble is working properly, I had issues with both bpm and oft where the burble maps were switching, where sport was louder/more aggressive than sport+

Is there any way to get burble without having asd enabled? I had to go in and enable it otherwise burble wasn't working. What if I then coded it off again with BimmerCode/Carly?

Quick pull in 2nd through midrange - full car specs in description

Quote:
I, personally am not in love with factory/stock ("oe") ZCP Throttle response.

There is too much (If this is what it means?) "tip in".

Cheers!

ZCP and even non-ZCP oem maps tend to be twitchy on tip-in as well.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorthM3 View Post

Going into Diagnostics and resetting adaptations can help some of the smoothness as well.

Quote:
Agreed the throttle in sport+ moving off from rest was vastly improved when I flashed cs trans with thor

I'll give the stage 1 a go today

Typically people will do 30 in 1st 20 in 2nd but depends on your tire setup, surface and ambients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
For PTF, do you have any plans to add direct ENET cable interface support for iOS or Android phones, thus eliminating the need for the OBD Agent when using a cell phone/tablet with BM3?

I have noticed that more BMW car app makers now offer a direct interface using an ENET cable as a connection option. For either iPhone or Android, you would still need a lightning to ethernet adapter (iOS) or a USB to ethernet adapter (Android) - both of which are available and fairly inexpensive adapters. I am not a software engineer, but I would think modern/current iOS or Android devices would have the necessary processing power to perform the functions of the OBD Agent when combined with the correct adapter to use with an ENET cable. While some may prefer the current wireless connectivity option via the OBD Agent (especially those who like to run the BM3 app routinely while driving), I think having the option for a direct wired connection to your device with an ENET cable would be good to have as well.
Yep but you can already use a wired connection with the agent. ENET cable to the agent and then USB from the agent to the mobile device, iOS or Android. Adding a direct ENET cable connection is in the works as well across all systems supported (iOS, Android, Windows, macOS) and a number of other features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evren View Post
How can i download the log file to my computer? Is is possible?
If you view any datalog you'll see a "Download CSV" button in the top left corner.

Quote:

yep, features such as these aren't available in the OEM software and custom changes are required. Changes such as these take time to develop and sort of inject in the OEM software but we're working on them
Appreciate 3
      10-15-2019, 12:43 PM   #2943
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok., - Still lost here - So, how would this (be applied to) work with a MT??

2-Step: The computer takes in the input of vehicle speed (0) and clutch engagement. You can then smash the gas and itll rev to a predetermined rpm set in the tuning software. Exactly like launch Control

No Lift Shift: The computer takes in the input of vehicle speed (XX) and clutch engagement and TPS (WOT). You can then shift with out lifting off the throttle and avoid damage due to the computer controlling inputs for the duration of the clutch engagement.

Watch some videos on Youtube regarding 2-steps. Itll clear everything up.
      10-15-2019, 05:20 PM   #2944
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
Yep but you can already use a wired connection with the agent. ENET cable to the agent and then USB from the agent to the mobile device, iOS or Android. Adding a direct ENET cable connection is in the works as well across all systems supported (iOS, Android, Windows, macOS) and a number of other features.
      10-15-2019, 07:16 PM   #2945
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
+1

10-15-2019, 10:30 PM   #2946
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

any chance you can flash tune using the obd wifi modules on market - as used with bimmercode, thor, etc
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 09:38 AM   #2947
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

Quote:
any chance you can flash tune using the obd wifi modules on market - as used with bimmercode, thor, etc
Most OBD WiFi modules you can come across out there say eBay/Amazon (e.g. ELM327 WiFi) are inadequate. While they offer WiFi connectivity from the phone to the adapter, they talk over CANBus/DCAN/KLINE through OBD. That's far slower due to slower data throughput than Ethernet/Flexray setup that bootmod3 uses. Can't comment on other apps/products as we don't have experience with their implementation details.
Appreciate 2
domino_z1253.00
gspannu199.50
      10-16-2019, 10:40 AM   #2948
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
Most OBD WiFi modules you can come across out there say eBay/Amazon (e.g. ELM327 WiFi) are inadequate. While they offer WiFi connectivity from the phone to the adapter, they talk over CANBus/DCAN/KLINE through OBD. That's far slower due to slower data throughput than Ethernet/Flexray setup that bootmod3 uses. Can't comment on other apps/products as we don't have experience with their implementation details.
Agreed, Ethernet will have the highest speeds... and well done to PTF proTUNING Freaks for choosing and retaining this platform.
Removing the need for an Agent hardware will be a great move - direct connection from an iOS or Android device will be fantastic.