Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

02-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #419
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
I am on the list for a 2016 F82 so I guess I'll find out.
Well only the M3 is getting LCI in 16 so youll still be a year or two early for LCI.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 09:55 PM   #420
Alumac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: prudently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Wrong. The year effects resale prices, plain and simple.
I don't know many people in the market for a 2002-pre-lci 2003 M3, or a 2008 M3. Of course the year effects resale, but the LCI effects it even more than just a model year. Yes people that bought/leased a 2015 M3 will be happy for years to come, but people on the fence should wait until the 2016 model year.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 10:04 PM   #421
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumac
Quote:
Wrong. The year effects resale prices, plain and simple.
I don't know many people in the market for a 2002-pre-lci 2003 M3, or a 2008 M3. Of course the year effects resale, but the LCI effects it even more than just a model year. Yes people that bought/leased a 2015 M3 will be happy for years to come, but people on the fence should wait until the 2016 model year.
99.9% of the buying public has no idea what "LCI" means. Yes, to anyone who is a BMW enthusiast, the post-LCI cars are going to be more valuable. However, those enthusiasts make up a relatively small portion of the buying market. Moreover, they do not set pricing. Dealers buying at auction set pricing.

You guys can continue to believe what you want. But these are not, say, vintage Porsches, where a 993 is worth much more than a 964. These are mass production cars, and the resale market is filled with people who couldn't tell you other than "it's an M3". You cannot view the market as a whole through the lens of an enthusiast, or we'd all be driving brown, diesel, manual station wagons.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 05:07 AM   #422
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
99.9% of the buying public has no idea what "LCI" means. Yes, to anyone who is a BMW enthusiast, the post-LCI cars are going to be more valuable. However, those enthusiasts make up a relatively small portion of the buying market. Moreover, they do not set pricing. Dealers buying at auction set pricing.

You guys can continue to believe what you want. But these are not, say, vintage Porsches, where a 993 is worth much more than a 964. These are mass production cars, and the resale market is filled with people who couldn't tell you other than "it's an M3". You cannot view the market as a whole through the lens of an enthusiast, or we'd all be driving brown, diesel, manual station wagons.

You're just the worst kind of enthusiast there is, now aren't you? Brown? Diesel??? WAGON!!? Sounds about right.

I'm not debating anything here, but just stating that I don't agree with the rest of your post either. Anyone in the market for an M3 is by definition an "enthusiast", who has done plenty of research on their purchase. So chances are more than 0.1% of potential M3 buyers know EXACTLY what an LCI car is.

Of course there are 2 sides to this topic, and I have no intentions of changing your mind. Just stating a differing opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 05:19 AM   #423
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo
Quote:

You're just the worst kind of enthusiast there is, now aren't you? Brown? Diesel??? WAGON!!? Sounds about right.

I'm not debating anything here, but just stating that I don't agree with the rest of your post either. Anyone in the market for an M3 is by definition an "enthusiast", who has done plenty of research on their purchase. So chances are more than 0.1% of potential M3 buyers know EXACTLY what an LCI car is.

Of course there are 2 sides to this topic, and I have no intentions of changing your mind. Just stating a differing opinion.
nah...there are plenty of M3 drivers I've spoken to over the years who just bought an M car because it was the top of the range...not because of what it is supposed to represent in terms of driving abilities.

I still remember the M3 driver I was talking to at the gas station a few months ago who was telling me he loved the wheels and the bodykit but felt the ride was too harsh and jerky....$50 says that guy didn't 'research' his car before plonking the money down that had been burning a hole in his pocket.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 06:21 AM   #424
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo
Quote:

nah...there are plenty of M3 drivers I've spoken to over the years who just bought an M car because it was the top of the range...not because of what it is supposed to represent in terms of driving abilities.

I still remember the M3 driver I was talking to at the gas station a few months ago who was telling me he loved the wheels and the bodykit but felt the ride was too harsh and jerky....$50 says that guy didn't 'research' his car before plonking the money down that had been burning a hole in his pocket.
This is more the norm than the exception.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 07:03 AM   #425
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

When I bought my 08 in 10 (first M Car) I had no ideas about the changes from 09. Spur of the moment purchase. I'm sure there are plenty of buyers like me to pick up my 15.

The larger price gap between 08/09 didn't really exist until after the F8x was out.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 07:26 AM   #426
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Just an FYI - It's a running online joke when there is talk about aggregating all enthusiast desires into one automobile. Although he left off AWD.

(Aside - when VW adds an AWD option to the non-R Golf Estate/Variant/Sportwagen later this year, such a car may actually finally be a reality on the market - and even sold stateside at that. )
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2015, 08:36 AM   #427
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post

Completely disagree. Drive around Miami or Bevels Hills and you'll see M3's driven by the dozens by a bunch of woman and men who just bought the highest end in the series they wanted.
Same thing I saw in Dubai, woman driving M5s, Cayenne Turbos and AMG Mercs, the husbands drive Maclarens and one off tuned Ferraris.
The enthusiasts is a very very small percentage. When I was taking delivery of my M3 and walked around the lobby looking at cars when I wandered by the AW M3 on display where two middle aged ladies were also walking by....the salesman came over and said "nice right?"...one said the color is hideous and both said what is it, some special
sport model(sarcastically).
I took some classmates to lunch and when they walked up to my car they were like nice car, what BMW is this, did it cost a lot to add this stuff. They're in the high twenties, but obviously not car enthusiasts. From the looks and stares the car gets the only true recognition comes from other guys driving Mustangs, BRZs or whatever.

Some one said before, to the public this is just another 3series with some kind of sport package.
And to be honest, myself being new to BMW and bought my M3 spur of the moment with only a small amount of research had never heard of LCI... until I bought mine and came to the forums from my previous car. I bought the car I like now, and need today not what is rare and will appreciate or whatever, would have been nice to have a 16 but I'm enjoying the hell out of mine now while others "wait" and "hope"...
Appreciate 5
      02-18-2015, 10:02 PM   #428
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

M3s owned by in the know enthusiasts is the minority. The people in this forum make up the top 5% of M3 buyers as far as knowledge and anal retentiveness go.
There aren't many M3/4's where I live and most people paid mine no mind when I was out and about.

Most people who by this car want something fast and at the top of the range because they can afford it.

There isn't anything coming out for 2016 LCI to make a big difference. Just the usual bump for a newer model year.

Also don't forget the inevitable price increase that will come due to the LCI.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 06:37 PM   #429
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

Since when do they update a car a year into production? That doesn't make any sense. I'm pissed, I paid 1900 for LED's and now they look to be standard. argh
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 09:01 PM   #430
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1973 View Post
Since when do they update a car a year into production? That doesn't make any sense. I'm pissed, I paid 1900 for LED's and now they look to be standard. argh
BMW did it with the F10 M5.

And your $1900 LED headlights will still be $1900 for MY2016 F80. We'll see updated taillights, no charge, this summer
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 10:13 PM   #431
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1973
The previous M3 sedan got new iDrive and updated tail lights after one year. Headlights never changed.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 08:08 AM   #432
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Since when do they update a car a year into production?
Every generation, like clockwork. There are hundreds and hundreds of posts on this website spanning dozens of discussions about it.

Quote:
That doesn't make any sense. I'm pissed, I paid 1900 for LED's and now they look to be standard. argh
Who says LEDs will be standard? I strongly doubt that they will be. And even if they were, it would just increase the base price of the car by a commensurate amount.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2015, 08:34 AM   #433
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel
Quote:
Since when do they update a car a year into production?
Every generation, like clockwork. There are hundreds and hundreds of posts on this website spanning dozens of discussions about it.

Quote:
That doesn't make any sense. I'm pissed, I paid 1900 for LED's and now they look to be standard. argh
Who says LEDs will be standard? I strongly doubt that they will be. And even if they were, it would just increase the base price of the car by a commensurate amount.
Right.

The F10 LCI made navigation standard (in the US). They increased the base price by $1,500 to cover this. Which was a bit of a savings since Nav was $2000 stand alone the previous year.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 08:20 PM   #434
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Well only the M3 is getting LCI in 16 so youll still be a year or two early for LCI.
Nothing is for sure until we see a 2016
      03-01-2015, 09:29 PM   #435
Thrak
Private
Rep
Drives: YMB/SO M4

Being new to BMW, if there is an iDrive update for LCI, is that something that's generally been software, and can current models be upgraded, or do they make hardware changes to the system? That's the only thing that sparks any interest for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 09:47 PM   #436
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrak View Post
Being new to BMW, if there is an iDrive update for LCI, is that something that's generally been software, and can current models be upgraded, or do they make hardware changes to the system? That's the only thing that sparks any interest for me.
In the past the E9x M3 got an idrive hardware change from 2008 to 2009. But that won't be the case with the F8x. F8x launch was timed well with new idrive, that includes the touch pad controller. LCI F8x won't see a hardware change, just map updates.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 11:20 PM   #437
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
In the past the E9x M3 got an idrive hardware change from 2008 to 2009. But that won't be the case with the F8x. F8x launch was timed well with new idrive, that includes the touch pad controller. LCI F8x won't see a hardware change, just map updates.
MY2016 F80 (LCI) will get Nav hardware change (NBT Evo). It will have an LTE SIM which allows for free OTA map updates.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1075972
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 11:25 PM   #438
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
MY2016 F80 (LCI) will get Nav hardware change (NBT Evo). It will have an LTE SIM which allows for free OTA map updates.
That isn't a major hardware change to me, the general look/feel of idrive will be identical. Not anywhere near the difference from 2008 idrive to 2009 lci idrive. They changed the screen, idrive controller, software...basically everything. It was like changing from Atari to PS4. People who bought first year 2008 M3's got screwed.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 11:29 PM   #439
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
If true, then it's no big deal to anyone leasing. You won't have the car long enough to care. Also this isn't the type of update to cause any depreciation issues.

So 2016 adds up to LED tail lights, free map updates, some interior trim bits, and possibly new colors.
Also it's likely to come with higher prices, either directly from BMW or indirectly by dealers temporarily holding a pricing line for new model year arrivals.
YAWN
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 11:35 PM   #440
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib View Post
If true, then it's no big deal to anyone leasing. You won't have the car long enough to care. Also this isn't the type of update to cause any depreciation issues.

So 2016 adds up to LED tail lights, free map updates, some interior trim bits, and possibly new colors.

YAWN
Getting the updates at regular service intervals isn't a big deal, rather than OTA.

If it is anything like Audi's 4G LTE it will be pricey after the first 6-month trial period.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread