BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

10-20-2021, 08:30 AM   #45
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by biofluke View Post
I am on the newly redesigned set of Essex/AP Rotors.

So far, yes, they seem to last longer. But only about 50% longer. My first set of rotors (old design) lasted about 5 track days, the same as my pads (3 of those at Watkins though which is notoriously hard on brakes with the 2 long straightaways). One of my pads actually partially broke and sheered off during the last session of the day even due to the heat buildup. I didn't even notice it until I got home the next day.

I have now finished about 7 track days with the new redesign. Swapped out my pads once mid-event after 4.5 days, but the rotors are starting to look cooked again. My fingernail is starting to get stuck in the cracks, which is when they say you should swap them. So we're looking at around a 50% increased life with the redesign, roughly.

The performance of the kit has been great. However, with the cost of the Ferodo 3.12s, and the rotors, it's not a cheap kit to run. This is a front-heavy car as is, and I always knew I'd be burning through consumables... but not at this rate.

I plan on contacting bimmerworld before next season to try to figure out which Girodisc would work for these like their GT4 teams are using. I'll report back.
ah, and some of us still remember all the marketing when I was debating PFC vs AP, and was told the AP kit had more vanes and due to that it lasted longer. Perhaps not.

My E90 PFC rear rotors have over 30 days on them. Their durability is in a different planet than the AP stuff. PFC FTW

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 10-20-2021 at 08:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 09:56 PM   #46
biofluke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
ah, and some of us still remember all the marketing when I was debating PFC vs AP, and was told the AP kit had more vanes and due to that it lasted longer. Perhaps not.

My E90 PFC rear rotors have over 30 days on them. Their durability is in a different planet than the AP stuff. PFC FTW
Amazing. My rears on the AP kit are also fine, I haven't had to replace those and don't expect to anytime soon. I go through one set of pads in the rear for every 3 sets of pads in the front (with the 9446 kit).

I looked at my current rotors a little more closely with my racing/mechanic buddy that owns ashop locally. He thinks they will be fine until I finish these pads, which is probably 2 more days.

So the rotor redesign is probably closer to 75-90% longer life than before, depending on the track. This will be around 9-10 track days.

So basically 2 sets of pads for every 1 set of rotors is the general burn rate.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00