GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-23-2021, 08:28 PM   #1
JrStig
Private
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F82 BMW M4

Car smells of unburnt gas - catless

Hey all,

Recently got my secondary cats removed as well as my primary cats. Using the stock exhaust setup but without any cats.

I understand that it is normal to have a smell of unburnt gas when running a full catless setup but mine is really potent. The front of the car has a gas smell as well, the same smell as the rear.

Even after letting the car rest ( engine off ) for about an hour, when i go back there is still a petrol smell lingering around the car.

is this normal for catless setups?

I doubt I have a leak because there is no rattling and i used brand new gaskets when installing them

Any thoughts is this is normal?

Regards, Rocco
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 10:07 PM   #2
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Yeah to an extent, I won't go catless again except for a dedicated track car. I initially I didn't notice it much but over time I found it more noticeable, friends sometimes remarked on it and it would stink up the garage.
Considering you're in Singapore where most driving is moving slowly through a lot of dense city streets... I'm surprised you'd want to do this.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 11:03 PM   #3
TideMD
Some random guy
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 SO

I went full catless for about a week. Came down to putting catt'd DPs -vs- removing the AA single mid pipe and putting the stock mids with secondary cats back on. Otherwise, would have needed to start parking outside because the car made the garage unbearable.

Not to mention, if I rode with the windows rolled down headed into work and caught a few stop lights, I could smell the fumes lingering on my clothes for several hours after driving. Simply wasn't worth the minimal gain of going full catless setup.
      05-24-2021, 12:37 AM   #4
kumkeet
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 Dakar Yellow II

Fellow Singaporean. Have you driven a de-catted car before? The police can smell from far away. Too easy for them. And really toxic fumes if you have kids. But it's an easy way way to make power if tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoccoMarcellus View Post
Hey all,

Recently got my secondary cats removed as well as my primary cats. Using the stock exhaust setup but without any cats.

I understand that it is normal to have a smell of unburnt gas when running a full catless setup but mine is really potent. The front of the car has a gas smell as well, the same smell as the rear.

Even after letting the car rest ( engine off ) for about an hour, when i go back there is still a petrol smell lingering around the car.

is this normal for catless setups?

I doubt I have a leak because there is no rattling and i used brand new gaskets when installing them

Any thoughts is this is normal?

Regards, Rocco
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 01:09 AM   #5
JrStig
Private
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F82 BMW M4

Nope, first decatted car. It's a weekend car mainly used for short drives ( not daily driving ) therefore i did the cat removal

Was just curious on whether the potent smell was normal or not 😂 looks like it is ... you'll have to be crazy to be able to daily drive this everyday tho !! . Seems crazy even for a weekend driver
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 11:50 AM   #6
BlackF82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Sorry for venting but I hate de-catted cars. Driving behind them with windows open is horrible. The smell at idle is horrible, too much. Imagine all cars were like that, it would be hell.
Appreciate 1
TideMD291.50
      05-26-2021, 01:35 PM   #7
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

You're probably just not used to smelling that rancid chit for so long.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 04:16 PM   #8
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Put secondary's back on, they help curve the Chevy 350 fumes lol.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0