Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-24-2018, 08:42 AM   #45
jacobe92
Major
jacobe92's Avatar
United_States
434
Rep
1,064
Posts

Drives: 2016 Hell Rot F80 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: California

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpday View Post
Hey guys. What's a reasonable cost for labor in installing camber plates, including alignment? Over $1000 sounds a little high (actually a lot high).
Yeah, that's high. I paid $450 or $90/hr for my JRZ Pro install ( Dampers, springs, camber plates, securing external disconnects etc) and another $250 for an alignment and corner balance.
__________________
2016 Hellrot F80 M3|JRZ RS Pro with Swift Springs 550/750 spring rates l AP Radical 5000R 9668/9449 lSpiegler SS LinesI DS1.11I Eisenmann DP|MPE Catback|18" Forgeline GS1R 18x10 et 22 and 18x11 et 44 NT01 275/35/18 and 305/35/18| Forgeline GTD1 18x10et43 SquarelM Performance Lip/Splitter|IND aesthetic mods|Dinan Toe Link|Fall Line mono ball conversion kit and upper link kit| Aim Solo 2DL Smarty Cam|Simpson Hybrid|Stilo Offshore helmet.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 02:56 PM   #46
git-r
New Member
5
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 14 YMB M4
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdherman View Post
Check out my alignment and corner balancing numbers here.

I use these settings all the time, both street and track and am happy with the results.
Thanks for this.

Do you find you get even tyre wear?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 08:41 AM   #47
skyrunner86
New Member
Poland
4
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Wroclaw, PL

iTrader: (0)

i apologize for polluting the thread, but i'm kinda lost in all this. This weekend i'm going to both Spa & Nordschleife and i have no clue how to setup the alignment. Currently it is as my dealership set it up. I've done some track days on a small track nearby with this setup and it was ok'ish (i have no comparison). I'd like to get somewhere nearby the compromise between road and track setup - by that i mean it should still be driveable on the streets and have more or less even tyre wear, but also maybe use the suspension potential a little bit more. The suspension is KW V4 - in M4 GTS config (rebound, low speed compression, high speed compression) for road/Nordschleife. Also did nordschleife before with stock suspension and stock alignment - it was slow but no body shop appointments were required afterwards.

Can someone please correct me if i'm wrong below?
i want even tyre wear so the camber should be max -2 degrees on any wheel. I was thinking front -2, rear -1.5. But then again GTS has more camber in the rear than in the front, based on settings in this thread people rather do the opposite.
Front toe should be close to 0 (but someone wrote it's not that great for street).
Rear toe - here's where i don't get it. i know it should be positive. The car has slightly bigger tyre than in the specs on the rear axle (285/35R19).

Do you have any suggestions on where to begin my "adventure" with alignment settings? I'm looking for something slightly more track oriented, but still some kind of safe baseline from which i could move towards more 'spirited driving' settings.

I get it's more or less hit & miss and up to personal preference/skills, but maybe there are some universal rules to follow. I googled it, but what i've found doesn't seem to match with people's settings in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 11:02 AM   #48
OhioRiderAaron
Lieutenant
United_States
259
Rep
562
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrunner86 View Post
i apologize for polluting the thread, but i'm kinda lost in all this. This weekend i'm going to both Spa & Nordschleife and i have no clue how to setup the alignment. Currently it is as my dealership set it up. I've done some track days on a small track nearby with this setup and it was ok'ish (i have no comparison). I'd like to get somewhere nearby the compromise between road and track setup - by that i mean it should still be driveable on the streets and have more or less even tyre wear, but also maybe use the suspension potential a little bit more. The suspension is KW V4 - in M4 GTS config (rebound, low speed compression, high speed compression) for road/Nordschleife. Also did nordschleife before with stock suspension and stock alignment - it was slow but no body shop appointments were required afterwards.

Can someone please correct me if i'm wrong below?
i want even tyre wear so the camber should be max -2 degrees on any wheel. I was thinking front -2, rear -1.5. But then again GTS has more camber in the rear than in the front, based on settings in this thread people rather do the opposite.
Front toe should be close to 0 (but someone wrote it's not that great for street).
Rear toe - here's where i don't get it. i know it should be positive. The car has slightly bigger tyre than in the specs on the rear axle (285/35R19).

Do you have any suggestions on where to begin my "adventure" with alignment settings? I'm looking for something slightly more track oriented, but still some kind of safe baseline from which i could move towards more 'spirited driving' settings.

I get it's more or less hit & miss and up to personal preference/skills, but maybe there are some universal rules to follow. I googled it, but what i've found doesn't seem to match with people's settings in this thread.
Start here:

-2.6deg front camber
-1.8-2.0 rear camber

0deg front toe (total)
0.1-0.2deg rear toe (total)

This is a perfectly acceptable street/track setup. If you want more track oriented go higher on the camber, if you want stock-like go with less camber. This setup is fine for tire wear on the street but will still wear the outer edge of tires before the inside (not quite balanced inside to outside). The toe allows for no craziness on the freeways but still feels good at 145mph going hard into a brake zone.
__________________

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten

Last edited by OhioRiderAaron; 04-24-2019 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 2
      04-24-2019, 04:04 AM   #49
dezzracer
Lieutenant
United_States
300
Rep
434
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 CS
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: The Great Mojave Desert

iTrader: (0)

What are the 4 corner weights you guys are referencing? In not familiar :
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 09:30 AM   #50
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
MaynardZed's Avatar
United_States
1076
Rep
1,749
Posts

Drives: wife crazy
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
What are the 4 corner weights you guys are referencing? In not familiar :
They're talking about aftermarket coilovers that have height adjustment. You set the car on scales and try to get a fairly even weight distribution, ideally with the driver weight factored in.

Not relevant with the factory or other non adjustable suspension.
__________________
Road course laptimes for BMW M4 2015 6MT
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 11:48 AM   #51
nicknaz
Major General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
2623
Rep
9,855
Posts

Drives: 6TT, model 3P, SM, F31 330
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRiderAaron View Post
Start here:

-2.6deg front camber
-1.8-2.0 rear camber

0deg front toe (total)
0.1-0.2deg rear toe (total)

This is a perfectly acceptable street/track setup. If you want more track oriented go higher on the camber, if you want stock-like go with less camber. This setup is fine for tire wear on the street but will still wear the outer edge of tires before the inside (not quite balanced inside to outside). The toe allows for no craziness on the freeways but still feels good at 145mph going hard into a brake zone.
+1

On my stock car, adding that little bit of additional positive rear toe (ie rear toe in) was very helpful.

My car came from factory with almost zero rear toe and adding the toe in helped with stability on corner exit
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 12:21 AM   #52
Tooth
Private
United_States
15
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: BMW M4
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Houston TX

iTrader: (0)

-3.2 fronts
-1.7 rear
Ohlins RT coilovers
Nitto 305 rear and 275 front on Apex 18" wheels
GC camber plates
Had the car corner balanced

Absolutely love this setup
Next I will installing sway bars either Dinan or AFE

Chris
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #53
NYG
Captain
NYG's Avatar
United_States
777
Rep
890
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4 CS
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Brooklyn, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooth View Post
-3.2 fronts
-1.7 rear
Ohlins RT coilovers
Nitto 305 rear and 275 front on Apex 18" wheels
GC camber plates
Had the car corner balanced

Absolutely love this setup
Next I will installing sway bars either Dinan or AFE

Chris
Do you not get ridiculous inside wear with -3.2 front camber?

What are your tire temps after sessions?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 04:09 PM   #54
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
3739
Rep
5,553
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRiderAaron View Post
Start here:

-2.6deg front camber
-1.8-2.0 rear camber

0deg front toe (total)
0.1-0.2deg rear toe (total)

This is a perfectly acceptable street/track setup. If you want more track oriented go higher on the camber, if you want stock-like go with less camber. This setup is fine for tire wear on the street but will still wear the outer edge of tires before the inside (not quite balanced inside to outside). The toe allows for no craziness on the freeways but still feels good at 145mph going hard into a brake zone.
+1

Toe eats tires much faster than camber. This is a good 'set and forget' setpoint
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST