Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

09-08-2019, 04:17 PM   #1
N55Msport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11'E90 15'F30 16'F80

PPF Newbie... Is this typical?

Hello everyone, as the title implies, I am new to PPF and would like some input.

About 3 weeks ago I had my M3 detailed followed by an install of Xpel Ultimate by the same shop which is also an authorized Xpel dealer/installer. Before I bring this up with the shop that installed it, I wanted to seek some feedback from members who have any experience in this area.

I guess I can live with a little peel here and there if that is normal, but is peeling like this typical? Especially the CF roof corner? The roof alone leads me to believe that with all the highway driving I do it's going to collect sand and possibly continue to peel and migrate back even further.

Also, is it normal to see lap wrinkles on the under side of the hood? I feel that those should have all been smoothed out with a squeegee. Or, little micro slits in the film should have been made to eliminate ridges that bunched up because of curves?

The PPF was a kit ordered from Xpel mainly due to the fact the the roundel cutout isn't quite centered. Although I could have detailed the car myself, the Xpel install wasn't something that looked very DIY friendly. It seems like every time someone else works on my car I always find this stuff out afterwards!
Good, bad, normal, or a hack job?
Thx
Attached Images

Last edited by N55Msport; 09-08-2019 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 04:36 PM   #2
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Sorry to break the news.......that's an unacceptable install.
Appreciate 1
SCS55291.00
      09-08-2019, 04:51 PM   #3
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55Msport View Post
Hello everyone, as the title implies, I am new to PPF and would like some input.

About 3 weeks ago I had my M3 detailed followed by an install of Xpel Ultimate by the same shop which is also an authorized Xpel dealer/installer. Before I bring this up with the shop that installed it, I wanted to seek some feedback from members who have any experience in this area.

I guess I can live with a little peel here and there if that is normal, but is peeling like this typical? Especially the CF roof corner? The roof alone leads me to believe that with all the highway driving I do it's going to collect sand and possibly continue to peel and migrate back even further.

Also, is it normal to see lap wrinkles on the under side of the hood? I feel that those should have all been smoothed out with a squeegee. Or, little micro slits in the film should have been made to eliminate ridges that bunched up because of curves?

The PPF was a kit ordered from Xpel mainly due to the fact the the roundel cutout isn't quite centered. Although I could have detailed the car myself, the Xpel install wasn't something that looked very DIY friendly. It seems like every time someone else works on my car I always find this stuff out afterwards!
Thx
That's crappy install, have them redo it
Appreciate 1
SCS55291.00
      09-08-2019, 06:49 PM   #4
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

the fingering and corner issues...trim those and its good to go.
under the hood, if you can trim it, trim it, but if its leading into the top of the hood too much, aesthetically it needs to be redone, BUT, keep in mind, PPF is not an aesthetic thing, its a protection thing. Nothing is perfect, there might be a little something next time, so figure out what your time is worth and how much it bothers you. Look at your $80k car paint...issues all over and that was painted in a $2B facility, not a $3000 a month shop space. Plus, paint you can wetsand, but film you cannot.

Sometimes the film is down, and then 2 weeks later they have popped loose due to a myriad of reasons, some being the heat and the cold, good, decent or poor prep, lack of paint for the film to hold to, getting the film wet too soon from leaving it outside overnight and the condensation puckering it up, etc. All you need is a tiny 1/4" wrap and its going to lock and stay so if you have that, trim it away and call it good (trim to match the rest of the edging as well.

the bumper needs to be redone, that emblem roundel is definitely not acceptable. If its a top/middle two piece, then just have the top redone. If its a proper 1 piece top and middle, unfortunately it needs to be removed.

The thing about clear bra is that everyone is now expecting perfection because they see things online, on social media, etc. Shop one did a "perfect install" for just $1500, everyone should do it for that cheap and perfection or nothing. Problem is, there are many factors as to how perfect it really is or isnt (very subjective), why it was so low priced compared to the other shops in the market (xpel recommends 1800 to 2100 for a front end, prestige requires 2500 a front end MAP pricing, etc), what it a hook up price for a friend, was it a promo job, was it a new shop trying to get some experience....MANY things play a role in all of this, but one thing is for certain, NOTHING is perfect!
Appreciate 1
SCS55291.00
      09-08-2019, 08:33 PM   #5
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

None of those areas are acceptable, and the most telling is the fitment around the roundel. That right there tells you that this installer did not take pride in his/her work and generally doesn't give a shit. My whole car is PPF'd and I'm hard pressed to find a seem, even 12" away from the paint.
Appreciate 2
SCS55291.00
Draper3459.50
      09-09-2019, 12:03 AM   #6
jdgamble
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 CQM M3 - My family car

I vote for crappy install. I would not accept that work.
Appreciate 1
SCS55291.00
      09-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #7
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Some lifting on an edge is normal but the shop trimmed it off shortly.

That circle cut out is trash. Someone doesn't know how to cut a circle....

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
SCS55291.00
      09-10-2019, 01:44 AM   #8
kosd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4 Convertible

I have a similar issue with my PPF install where the roundel is not centered. It was a pre-cut kit installed by a shop that has been around more than a decade. Since the rest of the install is good with no peeling, etc I just let it go but I thought it was sloppy. It wasn’t worth worth the time to have them re-do the hood for something you can’t see unless really looking for seams.

The peeling is definitely unacceptable though. If I was taking it back for the peeling, I’d point out the roundel as well.
Appreciate 1
N55Msport185.50
      09-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #9
cionide
Second Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP

Any sort of wrap, if you think about it, holds to the car by it's edges. If those aren't stuck down properly, that shit isn't going to hold.

Piss poor installation. If they refuse, go to xpel directly and show them what their authorized shop did.
N55Msport185.50
      09-10-2019, 12:48 PM   #10
canukgtp
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I can't speak to the roundel not being centered, but when my guy finished the install there were loose spots like you around the nose and rear bumper, he told me that he wanted the film to dry and I should bring it back in a few weeks, after the sun hits it and helps it set, then he trimmed the excess and touched up any spots that looked like that.

I would go back to the installer to make sure he's going to touch up the excess film and make things look good.
2011 E90 335xi (lease up)
Appreciate 1
N55Msport185.50
      09-10-2019, 08:39 PM   #11
N55Msport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11'E90 15'F30 16'F80

Thx for all the replies....The overwhelming majority of the responses has me agreeing that it is indeed a sub par install. I'll email the installer with pictures and contact them by phone afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 01:21 AM   #12
Danlnyc88
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp, 2017 Macan Turbo

Wow I would be soooo pissed if I got my car back like that.

Honestly I would demand a refund and take it somewhere reputable.

This is a complete hack job.
Appreciate 1
SCS55291.00
      09-23-2019, 09:05 AM   #13
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55Msport View Post

Thx
I'm sorry but I would have them redo the PPF, that is a hack job.. the BMW front logo itself PPF is a joke in itself..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 10:08 AM   #14
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

LOL looks like i did in in my garage with a hair dryer
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 06:00 PM   #15
SCS55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90,F30, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
LOL looks like i did in in my garage with a hair dryer
I agree. Not looking forward to any type of cars and coffee either until it's fixed.
Appreciate 0