proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

08-02-2019, 01:08 PM   #1
yasavguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW X5M

Should I cancel my extended warranty? *SCAM*?

So I've purchased my M4 only a few days ago with an extended warranty from EFG (MAP). However, after thoroughly researching them online, I was totally stunned - there were hundreds of complaints from owners that said they were denied coverage in just about any scenario. Apparently, the company is doing everything possible to deny a claim and only approves a small % of repairs; and their contract is full of fine print.

Anyone had experience with EFG/MAP?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 01:35 PM   #2
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

You already have your answer. Get mechanical breakdown from Geico If you bought new.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 01:55 PM   #3
yasavguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

No, I bought my M4 used with 40k miles.

Should I even bother with extended warranty? Or these M4s rarely break down? For me it's just a daily driver in a 100% stock form, no mods.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 02:23 PM   #4
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

Well things do break so you have to do your research to find common oproblems and see if you are concerned about them. You'll have people that go 100k without problems and others that have a few hiccups along the way. Anyway it sounds like the warranty company you bought yours from is shady. Look for others and see if you can find a suitable replacement if you want to have the piece of mind of an extended warranty
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 04:25 PM   #5
yasavguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Has anyone had any experience with EFG/MAP? I'd like to hear from somebody before I pull the trigger and cancel the thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 06:23 PM   #6
BluM4
Private
Rep
Drives: Blue M4

Never heard of EFG/MAP but I just bought the extended warranty from EasyCare. Read a lot of good reviews from the P-car forum.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 07:43 PM   #7
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluM4 View Post
Never heard of EFG/MAP but I just bought the extended warranty from EasyCare. Read a lot of good reviews from the P-car forum.
Did you consider fidelity as well? Am trying to choose between easycare and fidelity. For my car year and miles fidelity is working out Much cheaper.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 11:14 PM   #8
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I don't know OP, this is the very warranty I purchased for my M4 back in February. I got their top of the line plan through February 2023 for about $4k. I'm very good friends with a number of people at my local BMW dealer, and ALL of them told me to go with these guys even over the extended warranty BMW offers. I was all ready to plop down $7k for the BMW warranty for only 3 three years, and they emphatically told me not to do it. Said they've sold their plans (EFG) for years, and have never had a single claim denied by the company. Everything from transmissions, to engines, to simple gaskets have been covered apparently. The cool thing was too, by buying the warranty at the dealer I frequent they waive the deductible for each repair.

Now, with that being said, it's possible I could have been absolutely taken to the cleaners and been made a sucker. I haven't had a claim to file yet, so we'll see what happens if something does eventually go wrong with the car. Honestly though, I'd be shocked if the guys at the dealership fed me some bullshit. I've literally know them for a couple decades now, so if I can't imagine they'd throw that type of patronage out the window for a couple hundred bucks (likely their take by selling the policy).

I wouldn't worry about it, everything you read on the internet is the worst case scenario. Keep in mind a lot of these people complaining might be competitors, or your typical automotive moron who does zero maintenance. They might also expect the policy to cover batteries or brake rotors/etc., and get enraged because they didn't read what the policy won't cover.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 11:52 PM   #9
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

its def cheaper to self insure this platform.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 01:23 AM   #10
yasavguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I don't know OP, this is the very warranty I purchased for my M4 back in February. I got their top of the line plan through February 2023 for about $4k. I'm very good friends with a number of people at my local BMW dealer, and ALL of them told me to go with these guys even over the extended warranty BMW offers. I was all ready to plop down $7k for the BMW warranty for only 3 three years, and they emphatically told me not to do it. Said they've sold their plans (EFG) for years, and have never had a single claim denied by the company. Everything from transmissions, to engines, to simple gaskets have been covered apparently. The cool thing was too, by buying the warranty at the dealer I frequent they waive the deductible for each repair.

Now, with that being said, it's possible I could have been absolutely taken to the cleaners and been made a sucker. I haven't had a claim to file yet, so we'll see what happens if something does eventually go wrong with the car. Honestly though, I'd be shocked if the guys at the dealership fed me some bullshit. I've literally know them for a couple decades now, so if I can't imagine they'd throw that type of patronage out the window for a couple hundred bucks (likely their take by selling the policy).

I wouldn't worry about it, everything you read on the internet is the worst case scenario. Keep in mind a lot of these people complaining might be competitors, or your typical automotive moron who does zero maintenance. They might also expect the policy to cover batteries or brake rotors/etc., and get enraged because they didn't read what the policy won't cover.
That's exactly what they told me, as well. I did buy it at first but then backed out.

The staggering amount of reviews online point to the scam. EFG was sued by Attorney General over their deceptive practices. In addition, my usual mechanic said that dealerships make huge commissions of up to 50% per sale that they make. All that was enough for me to back down.

Update us, maybe I was wrong but I don't regret it. I'll fix out of pocket if anything goes wrong at my friend's shop.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 09:16 AM   #11
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasavguy View Post
That's exactly what they told me, as well. I did buy it at first but then backed out.

The staggering amount of reviews online point to the scam. EFG was sued by Attorney General over their deceptive practices. In addition, my usual mechanic said that dealerships make huge commissions of up to 50% per sale that they make. All that was enough for me to back down.

Update us, maybe I was wrong but I don't regret it. I'll fix out of pocket if anything goes wrong at my friend's shop.
I don't blame you at all, I'm certainly hoping nothing goes wrong with my car so I won't need to find out. Best of luck with your car, and I'll certainly update this thread if I ever need to use the warranty.

Here's a good thread from somebody with real world experience on the warranty: https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1595875

Last edited by NickyC; 08-23-2019 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0