Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-09-2019, 01:22 AM   #1
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
F80Speed77's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

F80 M3 GridLife StreetMod Build

Hi my name is Alex and I race TT with GridLife. I've spent most of the season in a StreetMod 2016 Subaru WRX STI and have done events at Mid-Ohio and Summit Point Shenandoah this year. The Subaru has decided to begin the Subaru process so I traded it on a 2015 M3 DCT before things got bad...

I'm super stoked and absolutely in love with the M3, I had an E46 a few years ago, and it brings back all the feels from that car plus torque! Unfortunately the budget isn't quite there yet with the new purchase but I'd like to finish out the season in StreetMod and see where I end up going into the finale. So just looking for some basic budget minded stuff to hopefully keep me on the podium!

Tires/Wheels
StreetMod is limited to 200TW and 285 width for RWD cars. It seems like the 19x10 square setup with a 275 is pretty popular but how tough would it be to get the 285's to squeeze onto the 10? Tire sizes very by manufacturer and it looks like the 275/35/19 Hankook is about the size of the 285/35/19 Bridgestone. Guessing that 19x10 setup gives you a little bit of wiggle room especially at the heights I'd have the car?

Suspension
Is limited to two adjustments but budget is going to be keeping me away from a coilover setup for this year.

How terrible are the stock springs on track? Full honesty, I'm probably just going to go with camber plates and a front sway bar... Is there a set of lowering springs that works better than the factory stuff?

Brakes
I'm liking the DSUNO option for Brake pads... I tend to be quite abusive on brakes. Stock rotors work ok with these?

Motor
The car allegedly has a Dinan Stage2 Piggyback but the exhaust and intake system looks stock? I think I saw there might be an app for it? Is this going to make it over heat? I don't typically do more than 2 or 3 hotlaps before I cool things down for a bit. The Subaru had issues with this lol.

Aero
I have an APR GTC300 wing sitting in my basement from the Subaru that looks like it might fit but I'd hate to drill holes in that trunk already haha... How is stability cornering at over 100+mph in the car?

I have a track day event coming up next week that I'm hoping to use to shake the car down with some autox thrown in this weekend but would love as much feedback as possible from people familiar with this platform.

Sometimes, it's cool to put a face to a name... I'm the fanboi all decked out in Subaru gear lol and that's my Subaru on the thumbnail #RIP.


Last edited by F80Speed77; 08-09-2019 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 02:54 PM   #2
Continental02
Enthusiast
Continental02's Avatar
171
Rep
262
Posts

Drives: M3 CS
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Speed77 View Post
Hi my name is Alex and I race TT with GridLife. I've spent most of the season in a StreetMod 2016 Subaru WRX STI and have done events at Mid-Ohio and Summit Point Shenandoah this year. The Subaru has decided to begin the Subaru process so I traded it on a 2015 M3 DCT before things got bad...

I'm super stoked and absolutely in love with the M3, I had an E46 a few years ago, and it brings back all the feels from that car plus torque! Unfortunately the budget isn't quite there yet with the new purchase but I'd like to finish out the season in StreetMod and see where I end up going into the finale. So just looking for some basic budget minded stuff to hopefully keep me on the podium!

Tires/Wheels
StreetMod is limited to 200TW and 285 width for RWD cars. It seems like the 19x10 square setup with a 275 is pretty popular but how tough would it be to get the 285's to squeeze onto the 10? Tire sizes very by manufacturer and it looks like the 275/35/19 Hankook is about the size of the 285/35/19 Bridgestone. Guessing that 19x10 setup gives you a little bit of wiggle room especially at the heights I'd have the car?

Suspension
Is limited to two adjustments but budget is going to be keeping me away from a coilover setup for this year.

How terrible are the stock springs on track? Full honesty, I'm probably just going to go with camber plates and a front sway bar... Is there a set of lowering springs that works better than the factory stuff?

Brakes
I'm liking the DSUNO option for Brake pads... I tend to be quite abusive on brakes. Stock rotors work ok with these?

Motor
The car allegedly has a Dinan Stage2 Piggyback but the exhaust and intake system looks stock? I think I saw there might be an app for it? Is this going to make it over heat? I don't typically do more than 2 or 3 hotlaps before I cool things down for a bit. The Subaru had issues with this lol.

Aero
I have an APR GTC300 wing sitting in my basement from the Subaru that looks like it might fit but I'd hate to drill holes in that trunk already haha... How is stability cornering at over 100+mph in the car?

I have a track day event coming up next week that I'm hoping to use to shake the car down with some autox thrown in this weekend but would love as much feedback as possible from people familiar with this platform.

Sometimes, it's cool to put a face to a name... I'm the fanboi all decked out in Subaru gear lol and that's my Subaru on the thumbnail #RIP.

200TW tire you are going to want the DS1.11 over the DSuno. The DSuno is much better suited for full slick tires, even if you are admittingly hard on your brakes. The DS1.11 will also be kinder to your stock rotors as well.

The suspension is where I would sink my money first. The stock suspension is ok, but if you are really leaning on the car and pushing hard you will be unhappy with stock suspension or stock with lowering springs. Pick up a used set of coilovers with camber plates included and go that route instead. It will be your biggest limiting factor towards good times as the car just isn't flat in the corners from the factory.

Don't worry about cooling at all, even with a tune. These cars are overengineered in the cooling department. I really beat the hell out of my car and only experienced issues in 100+ degree weather with high humidity on the long COTA straights. Everywhere else it was fine and I was running a more aggressive tune than the Dinan one. Plenty of people running tunes without issues with cooling. Drive it for 20-30 minutes straight without giving it a break and the car will happily perform, no need to stop after 2-3 laps.

The car is super stable at high-speed cornering with good coilover setup. I can't speak to aero as I never ran aero on my car, but I can't see doing aero with stock suspension. I'd sell the wing and grab some coils with the cash.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 12:33 AM   #3
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
F80Speed77's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

Day 5 of ownership... Got the car out to an autocross for a little shake down... Power is substantial with that Dinan tune and Sport+!!! Continental ExtremeContactSports weren't hateful and I had a really fun time trying to re-learn RWD stuff.

Also got a session in on PittRace Full Course thanks to HookedOnDriving running a special Sunday deal. The car definitely felt a little more at home out here. Unfortunately didn't get to push too hard, started getting some fluid fade so just cruised around at like a 8/10 tenths pace after the first few laps. Definitely need to get that braking situation sorted before I head back out there. Going to start with removing the brake ducts and swapping in some better fluid. Who knows what's in there? The pads actually started to squeal a little so I think they might be ok.

Definitely agree on the stability front, I didn't go full send through our notorious kink but did hit around 110 or so through it and it felt pretty planted. Looking forward to developing this car, it's such a monster!

Appreciate 1
Pic18169.00

      08-12-2019, 08:40 AM   #4
OhioRiderAaron
Lieutenant
United_States
259
Rep
563
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

Very cool, i happened to just watch your GL video a few weeks ago. Good luck running the new platform. Not to get too off track from your build thread, but what led you to the F80 rather than something like a Camaro 1LE?

The suspension is a weak point on all these cars up until the ZCP and CS, even w/camber plates, probably giving up a few seconds with the stock dampers either way. Having said that you can have a ton of fun just minimal mods, but I don't know how competitive it would be at GL.

The kink@Pitt is good for 120+ mph in this car.
__________________

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten

Last edited by OhioRiderAaron; 08-12-2019 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 10:22 AM   #5
trackymbf82
Private First Class
38
Rep
134
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4, Bootmod3 on E85
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Boulder, CO

iTrader: (0)

I've not ran the dinan tune but several on here have had issues with limp mode, I'd search the forums. I'd spend money on a good flash tune, there are several great options.

I think the stock suspension is pretty capable. I was happy with just camber plates. I'd add adjustable rear links to your list. Tires add up.

I haven't upgraded my front sway bar, the stock is also pretty capable.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #6
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
F80Speed77's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

The wife really wanted my next car to be something she could drive but she has zero interest in learning stick haha so kind of took a lot of fun cars off the list aka the Camaro and PP2 Mustang which is great. Those cars also don't have the utility of the F80.

I think the M3 is going to be super competitive in StreetMod with just a little bit of work. I dont see it being slower than my STI which was flirting with 1:55's at PittRace and 1:33's at MidOhio.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 12:23 PM   #7
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
F80Speed77's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackymbf82 View Post
I've not ran the dinan tune but several on here have had issues with limp mode, I'd search the forums. I'd spend money on a good flash tune, there are several great options.

I think the stock suspension is pretty capable. I was happy with just camber plates. I'd add adjustable rear links to your list. Tires add up.

I haven't upgraded my front sway bar, the stock is also pretty capable.
Hmm interesting on the tune front I'll have to do a little more research on that. I read the car cools itself better in Sport+ so I left it there. I was only on track for 15min or so anyway.

Suspension felt pretty good in Sport+, maybe just a tad floaty still but the front of the car was holding really well I thought. Exit oversteer was really manageable with the staggered setup. I'm wondering if a square setup with more camber might loosen it up just a little more and that bigger sway bar might help some? I'll definitely try it without first, for science! Nice call on the rear toe arms too, I'll check those out. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #8
OhioRiderAaron
Lieutenant
United_States
259
Rep
563
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Speed77 View Post
The wife really wanted my next car to be something she could drive but she has zero interest in learning stick haha so kind of took a lot of fun cars off the list aka the Camaro and PP2 Mustang which is great. Those cars also don't have the utility of the F80.

I think the M3 is going to be super competitive in StreetMod with just a little bit of work. I dont see it being slower than my STI which was flirting with 1:55's at PittRace and 1:33's at MidOhio.
Sorry I don't really know much about GL classifications, you're probably right! And those are some really good lap-times at both tracks, please share your results with the F80 moving forward.
__________________

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten

Last edited by OhioRiderAaron; 08-12-2019 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 04:07 PM   #9
nicknaz
Major General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
2636
Rep
9,867
Posts

Drives: 6TT, model 3P, SM, F31 330
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Congrats on the new car.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 10:33 AM   #10
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
F80Speed77's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

Thanks guys! Been working some racecar things out with the wife and I'm officially calling it quits on the GridLife season for this year. We have kid #2 due in a few weeks and with it being crunch time it's just not really the best thing for the fam right now haha. Timing is everything in life...

I'll be back at it in the spring though but at least I don't have to rush getting it ready now.

After the brief test session I had I think I'm going to focus on addressing the following for next season.

1. Brakes - definitely need to find a solid two piece rotor with an aluminum hat to help keep temps down for the front. This thing builds some serious speed on straights! I hope it's just the pads that are on the car but the initial bite they had wasn't great.

2. Suspension - I think I'll be able to get by with just camber plates, are the Ground Control the way to go? I'll want at least -3.0deg out of it. Maybe toy with a front bar if the balance gets out of whack going to square setup.

3. Tire - definitely need to be able to fit as much tire as possible. Really want to do a 19x10.5 square setup with 285s... Need to look into that fitment some more.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 08:28 AM   #11
jpy1980
Captain
152
Rep
644
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3 Mineral White
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Speed77 View Post
Thanks guys! Been working some racecar things out with the wife and I'm officially calling it quits on the GridLife season for this year. We have kid #2 due in a few weeks and with it being crunch time it's just not really the best thing for the fam right now haha. Timing is everything in life...

I'll be back at it in the spring though but at least I don't have to rush getting it ready now.

After the brief test session I had I think I'm going to focus on addressing the following for next season.

1. Brakes - definitely need to find a solid two piece rotor with an aluminum hat to help keep temps down for the front. This thing builds some serious speed on straights! I hope it's just the pads that are on the car but the initial bite they had wasn't great.

2. Suspension - I think I'll be able to get by with just camber plates, are the Ground Control the way to go? I'll want at least -3.0deg out of it. Maybe toy with a front bar if the balance gets out of whack going to square setup.

3. Tire - definitely need to be able to fit as much tire as possible. Really want to do a 19x10.5 square setup with 285s... Need to look into that fitment some more.
Re suspension, GC is the way to go. I got -2.7 camber out of my plates and I was being conservative. -3 is manageable. Only thing you may want to consider are coilovers. I got a set of Bilstein b16 Damptronic coilovers which still had me retain the EDC function for DD purposes, but still allowed me to corner balance and align my car. Night and day. One day Iíll go with a more hardcore static coilovers, but for now it will do!

You also should look at this website made by Apex wheels: https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002284493-F8x-M3-M4-Wheel-Tire-Fitment-Guide?mobile_site=true

Itís a wheel fitment guide that discuss all the fitment ranges, esp squared setups.

I also asked about 285 fitment in this post: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24672362&postcount=178

It can happen but you may need spacers and an aggressive front camber.

I would go with a dedicated 18 inch setup, esp since you do not have the CCBs.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #12
jpy1980
Captain
152
Rep
644
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3 Mineral White
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continental02 View Post
200TW tire you are going to want the DS1.11 over the DSuno. The DSuno is much better suited for full slick tires, even if you are admittingly hard on your brakes. The DS1.11 will also be kinder to your stock rotors as well.

The suspension is where I would sink my money first. The stock suspension is ok, but if you are really leaning on the car and pushing hard you will be unhappy with stock suspension or stock with lowering springs. Pick up a used set of coilovers with camber plates included and go that route instead. It will be your biggest limiting factor towards good times as the car just isn't flat in the corners from the factory.

Don't worry about cooling at all, even with a tune. These cars are overengineered in the cooling department. I really beat the hell out of my car and only experienced issues in 100+ degree weather with high humidity on the long COTA straights. Everywhere else it was fine and I was running a more aggressive tune than the Dinan one. Plenty of people running tunes without issues with cooling. Drive it for 20-30 minutes straight without giving it a break and the car will happily perform, no need to stop after 2-3 laps.

The car is super stable at high-speed cornering with good coilover setup. I can't speak to aero as I never ran aero on my car, but I can't see doing aero with stock suspension. I'd sell the wing and grab some coils with the cash.
OP, You should listen to this guy as according to the official track time thread, he has the fastest recorded laps on some tracks in CA with the F80!

1:51 at Buttonwillow in this car is SMOKING!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 12:51 AM   #13
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
F80Speed77's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

Loving all the feedback so far! The guys (and gals) I'll be chasing down in Street/Street Mod (Global Time Attack/Super Lap Battle/GridLife crossover class) are down in the 1:48's on 200TW there...

I'd actually love to make it down to COTA for Super Lap Battle in February 2020 but that's kind of long looking like a long shot at this point.

Thanks for posting those links, I have a bad habit of only listening to people in the track section of these forums haha. I've started to dip my toes into some of the other regions.

But to get back to the Tire Size thing. I know I'll be going BBK at some point so I want to stick with 19's and they just look way better on the car than 18's for some reason. I wouldn't mind getting another set of 437m's and using them in a square setup (save the fronts for square winter setup?) but I think I saw the rear offsets don't play nice with the front. I love the look of them though and was surprised to see how light they are!

Here is my list of 200TW Tire Options for 19x10" fitment (285 width max & 200TW min...) and there is a ton of variance in section width, tread width, and diameter.

Bridgestone RE71R 285/35R19 SW-11.4" TW-10.1" D-26.8"
Bridgestone RE71R 275/35R19 SW-10.9" TW-10" D-26.6"
Bridgestone RE71R 265/35R19 SW-10.7" TW-9.6" D-26.3"
Bridgestone RE71R 255/35R19 SW-10.2" TW-9.3" D-26"
Hankook RS4 275/35R19 SW-11.2" TW-10.3" D-26.4"
Nexen SUR4G 275/35R19 SW-10.9" TW-10.1" D-26.6"
BFG Rival S1.5 275/35R19 SW-??? TW-9.8" D-???
Dunlop Z3 275/35R19 SW-10.5" TW-9.9" D-26.7"
Goodyear SC3 285/35R19 SW-??? TW-10.5" D-???
Goodyear SC3 265/35R19 SW-??? TW-9.7" D-???
Michelin SC2 275/35R19 SW - 11" TW-9.5" D-26.6"

So actual sizes can vary kind of significantly across brands, what may fit in one size might not fit in others. Sometimes section width is more important than tread width when it comes to rubbing on things too. So most likely I'll just be starting out on the 275 RE71R and using that as a baseline.

Also on suspension I keep seeing these coilover conversion kits for the stock EDC dampers. I like the Ground Control package that comes with the camber plates a lot but still pulling together info on how nicely those kits with stock suspension tuning. It looks like GC has some nice rear linkage upgrades too but I liked the SPL stuff I had on my STI so will probably stick with them.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 01:22 PM   #14
FormulaMMM
Colonel
FormulaMMM's Avatar
United_States
530
Rep
2,061
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Speed77 View Post
Loving all the feedback so far! The guys (and gals) I'll be chasing down in Street/Street Mod (Global Time Attack/Super Lap Battle/GridLife crossover class) are down in the 1:48's on 200TW there...

I'd actually love to make it down to COTA for Super Lap Battle in February 2020 but that's kind of long looking like a long shot at this point.

Thanks for posting those links, I have a bad habit of only listening to people in the track section of these forums haha. I've started to dip my toes into some of the other regions.

But to get back to the Tire Size thing. I know I'll be going BBK at some point so I want to stick with 19's and they just look way better on the car than 18's for some reason. I wouldn't mind getting another set of 437m's and using them in a square setup (save the fronts for square winter setup?) but I think I saw the rear offsets don't play nice with the front. I love the look of them though and was surprised to see how light they are!

Here is my list of 200TW Tire Options for 19x10" fitment (285 width max & 200TW min...) and there is a ton of variance in section width, tread width, and diameter.

Bridgestone RE71R 285/35R19 SW-11.4" TW-10.1" D-26.8"
Bridgestone RE71R 275/35R19 SW-10.9" TW-10" D-26.6"
Bridgestone RE71R 265/35R19 SW-10.7" TW-9.6" D-26.3"
Bridgestone RE71R 255/35R19 SW-10.2" TW-9.3" D-26"
Hankook RS4 275/35R19 SW-11.2" TW-10.3" D-26.4"
Nexen SUR4G 275/35R19 SW-10.9" TW-10.1" D-26.6"
BFG Rival S1.5 275/35R19 SW-??? TW-9.8" D-???
Dunlop Z3 275/35R19 SW-10.5" TW-9.9" D-26.7"
Goodyear SC3 285/35R19 SW-??? TW-10.5" D-???
Goodyear SC3 265/35R19 SW-??? TW-9.7" D-???
Michelin SC2 275/35R19 SW - 11" TW-9.5" D-26.6"

So actual sizes can vary kind of significantly across brands, what may fit in one size might not fit in others. Sometimes section width is more important than tread width when it comes to rubbing on things too. So most likely I'll just be starting out on the 275 RE71R and using that as a baseline.

Also on suspension I keep seeing these coilover conversion kits for the stock EDC dampers. I like the Ground Control package that comes with the camber plates a lot but still pulling together info on how nicely those kits with stock suspension tuning. It looks like GC has some nice rear linkage upgrades too but I liked the SPL stuff I had on my STI so will probably stick with them.
RE-71R for lap times out of that group. Just ran 19" 275/305 RS4 for the first time. Perception is level with star spec Cup 2, maybe even a touch slower. Definitely far more durable though, which is what I needed.

Lot of GM guys like the Supercar 3R. No experience with those. You'd be taking kind of a flyer on F80 platform. Not the case with RE-71R, tried and proven quick.
__________________
DCT E90 M3 (stock), M4 GTS, Camaro Z/28. Past: Akrapovic Evolution, KW Clubsport, Stoptech ST-40 + Pagid RS29 | Apex EC-7 18x10 ET25 + Nitto NT01 275 35 18, Velos Designwerks Tune, Megan Racing Catback, Macht Schnell Filter
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 02:58 AM   #15
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
F80Speed77's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

I have a buddy who works at Goodyear and helped work on the Supercar3R, they are a very fast tire!!! I would not hesitant to run them if I wasn't restricted by a 200TW rating (Maybe I should bump to TrackMod???)

Finally got a chance to play with the car in the garage a little bit this weekend. Found out the brake pads currently on the car are something from Textar? Fronts look to be at about <50% life and decided they need replaced with DS2500's + SRF... I'll look into more aggressive options in the spring (DS1.11) and just wanted to get a baseline feel for where the car is... aka is it faster than the STI.

Dinan apparently fixed their app and I was able to get it connected and verify that it is the Stage 2 tuner. I switched to Stage 1 for today and for some reason I like it better? Torque delivery is more linear or something.

Also decided to pick up the Turner rear diffuser (spoke to my inner ricer)

And might get TC Kline camber plates before then but I'm still trying to figure out if I should pick up one of the HAS options or just commit to coilovers in the spring.

Heading to PittRace on September 11th to do a little end of season testing, hoping for good weather.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST