Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-03-2020, 07:32 AM   #67
carguy138
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Made it 57 seconds into the G80 video before getting motion sick and had to turn it off.

What a travesty, no thanks BMW.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      11-03-2020, 11:01 AM   #68
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

I love analyzing marketing, especially these threads. We talked about this a week ago in the Banned thread so I'll rehash what I said over there.

BMW's marketing is in the toilet right now. What even is happening in these commercials. Forget driving, because clearly BMW cares more about dancing twenty-somethings who just love to scream behind the wheel.

Of course we all know the amazing M5 ad, but I thought I'd focus on the bread and butter of the lineup, the 3er. Here is the 3-series first advertisement of the G20 generation.

"Drive technology" is the message of this ad. Is that it? Where is the handling of the car and how great it drives. We see it take two turns and at the end do a small drift. Other than that, every shot of the car is purely just straight always or technology, yawn. Feels more like a music video than a car commercial. This is clearly a different market they are aiming towards, young people who rely on a backup camera, or now, the entire car to reverse through a parking lot for them.

Even worse is the new 2GC's commercial. Now being that this is a new product and a gateway into the brand, you would think the introduction of this car is very important.

The ad however is quite the opposite. Literally the people in the ad had more screen time than the car. And "Option 2?" That's the message? Option 2 is usually what I would consider your second choice or what you had to settle for, not typically something that you wanted. Like this, "Well I wanted a nice car, but I guess I'll settle for option 2." Complete fail, this seems like an ad for a lifestyle brand, not a car brand.

Now look at the competitors.

First, Mercedes. A new important product, the EQC is shown off along with the history of Mercedes as a brand.

Now that is how you introduce a car. While the EQC wasn't a good effort by MB, the ad in contrast is very effective. It shows how much storied and rich history is behind the brand as well as the evolution of the automobile, with the final message being that this isn't just some electric car, its a Mercedes, something you strive for and want in your life, a goal or aspiration for many.

And then we have Alfa Romeo.

These are how you do a commercial. In the first one you have a beautiful Italian orchestra play as we see glimpses of a car go through a tunnel. This starts curiosity and suspense, "what could possibly be going through the tunnel?" the music only adds and emphasizes the beautiful nature of Italian design as we see more glimpses of a bright red car in the dark tunnel. The orchestra suddenly stops, as we pan straight off of the front of the car to then hear the bellow of the engine and see the car rip through a track. Focus is purely on the car and its athleticism. It take sharp turns with ease while sounding pleasing to the ears. The ad suddenly slows down as we observe the car alone, no audio whatsoever. We get to have a look at the beauty of this car in its natural habitat. The ad is a contrast of beauty and the beast in a way, from beautiful orchestra's, to engines screaming to 7k rpm, it highlights the best attributes of the car.

The second one is also great, could even be considered a shot at the Germans with the narrator saying "Dear Predictable, there's no other way to say this... It's over." This also adds curiosity, "what is this new and unique car." Again, we see the car devour the curvy Italian roads while getting many beauty shots of the design. Like the first ad, the car is at first not entirely seen, only glimpses and the loud exhaust are heard echoing. The woman's sultry voice only adds to it, using words related to a relationship full of passion to describe her new love. "Our senses awake, our hearts racing as one" the car is described like a passionate lover, someone new and unusual, but in the best ways. This isn't an ordinary sports sedans like the Germans, this is something unique. And the closing, with the pan of the Giulia badging, only adds to the effect, revealing her lover's name from the letter she's reading. The Alfa isn't just a car, but rather your partner, and her name is Giulia.

The Alfa ads highlight what matters to them: Natural Beauty, Acoustic Charm, and most importantly, Emotion. These ads are set up to have the viewer lust towards a car. These aren't the rational or practical choice but rather one from the heart, how an enthusiast would look at a car.
Jockey3448.00
agentrnge380.50
omgf80207.00
MFNATIK3498.00
tom @ eas8114.50
JJsuh132.50
      11-03-2020, 11:40 AM   #69
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Here is THE M4 commercial 😂

- No engine sound
- No shots of gauges, RPM etc
- The girl is featured more than the car. Is she supposed to be rebelling against her parents?! Lol Really confused at the target market.
- Beyond horrendous!

Appreciate 2
stein_325i25083.00
Mavus2029.50
      11-03-2020, 01:47 PM   #70
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
I love analyzing marketing, especially these threads. We talked about this a week ago in the Banned thread so I'll rehash what I said over there.

BMW's marketing is in the toilet right now. What even is happening in these commercials. Forget driving, because clearly BMW cares more about dancing twenty-somethings who just love to scream behind the wheel.

Of course we all know the amazing M5 ad, but I thought I'd focus on the bread and butter of the lineup, the 3er. Here is the 3-series first advertisement of the G20 generation.

"Drive technology" is the message of this ad. Is that it? Where is the handling of the car and how great it drives. We see it take two turns and at the end do a small drift. Other than that, every shot of the car is purely just straight always or technology, yawn. Feels more like a music video than a car commercial. This is clearly a different market they are aiming towards, young people who rely on a backup camera, or now, the entire car to reverse through a parking lot for them.

Even worse is the new 2GC's commercial. Now being that this is a new product and a gateway into the brand, you would think the introduction of this car is very important.

The ad however is quite the opposite. Literally the people in the ad had more screen time than the car. And "Option 2?" That's the message? Option 2 is usually what I would consider your second choice or what you had to settle for, not typically something that you wanted. Like this, "Well I wanted a nice car, but I guess I'll settle for option 2." Complete fail, this seems like an ad for a lifestyle brand, not a car brand.

First, Mercedes. A new important product, the EQC is shown off along with the history of Mercedes as a brand.

Now that is how you introduce a car. While the EQC wasn't a good effort by MB, the ad in contrast is very effective. It shows how much storied and rich history is behind the brand as well as the evolution of the automobile, with the final message being that this isn't just some electric car, its a Mercedes, something you strive for and want in your life, a goal or aspiration for many.

These are how you do a commercial. In the first one you have a beautiful Italian orchestra play as we see glimpses of a car go through a tunnel. This starts curiosity and suspense, "what could possibly be going through the tunnel?" the music only adds and emphasizes the beautiful nature of Italian design as we see more glimpses of a bright red car in the dark tunnel. The orchestra suddenly stops, as we pan straight off of the front of the car to then hear the bellow of the engine and see the car rip through a track. Focus is purely on the car and its athleticism. It take sharp turns with ease while sounding pleasing to the ears. The ad suddenly slows down as we observe the car alone, no audio whatsoever. We get to have a look at the beauty of this car in its natural habitat. The ad is a contrast of beauty and the beast in a way, from beautiful orchestra's, to engines screaming to 7k rpm, it highlights the best attributes of the car.

The second one is also great, could even be considered a shot at the Germans with the narrator saying "Dear Predictable, there's no other way to say this... It's over." This also adds curiosity, "what is this new and unique car." Again, we see the car devour the curvy Italian roads while getting many beauty shots of the design. Like the first ad, the car is at first not entirely seen, only glimpses and the loud exhaust are heard echoing. The woman's sultry voice only adds to it, using words related to a relationship full of passion to describe her new love. "Our senses awake, our hearts racing as one" the car is described like a passionate lover, someone new and unusual, but in the best ways. This isn't an ordinary sports sedans like the Germans, this is something unique. And the closing, with the pan of the Giulia badging, only adds to the effect, revealing her lover's name from the letter she's reading. The Alfa isn't just a car, but rather your partner, and her name is Giulia.

The Alfa ads highlight what matters to them: Natural Beauty, Acoustic Charm, and most importantly, Emotion. These ads are set up to have the viewer lust towards a car. These aren't the rational or practical choice but rather one from the heart, how an enthusiast would look at a car.
My GOD after watching those, the only thing I could say was "TAKE MY MONEY" to Merc.... Thanks for the post.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      11-03-2020, 02:33 PM   #71
kss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AY F80 ZCP

I thought the first commercial with the guy was bad. The M4 with the girl somehow managed to be worse!!!
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      11-03-2020, 03:30 PM   #72
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

Those videos May technically be “good” or Nice to look at but the content is complete and utter garbage. I have zero interest in G80 obviously the videos didn’t help.
Pretty sure I have bought my last BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 03:41 PM   #73
sappersix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
Quote:

Wait... what? The 3-series will get me to bowling league and help me roll strikes with a 8 lb ball?
stein_325i25083.00
      11-03-2020, 04:04 PM   #74
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

BMW not only needs to fire their design team but also their marketing team. That MBZ video embraces the HERITAGE of their brand so well and leads it right into the future. They shot it so tastefully and blended old with new so well. They managed to give a nod to the IG crowd by using The Weekend and his music but it was so TASTEFULLY done.

Instead BMW gives us chainsaws, dark lighting, and young people screaming??? WTF BMW?!?!? SO LAME
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      11-05-2020, 12:32 AM   #75
kss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AY F80 ZCP

I thought the first 30 seconds of the m2gC ad was another ad that I couldn’t skip and had to watch to see the car ad. Unfortunately, once I realized that WAS the M2 grand coupe ad, it didn’t get any better when they showed the car. It was beyond horrible!!!

Frankly when I saw the launch videos of the Alfa Romeo Guilia Quadrifoglio, I was set on getting it - came damn close to buying one, even though it wa the Rossi red colour (which I don’t particularly like - I don’t think red looks good on anything other than a Ferrari). Decided to sleep on it than decided to wait for a Misano Blue. In the meantime, there were a lot of bad reviews about the reliability and I got a killer deal on a new 2017 M3C Ultimate Edition (CDN package with all options except CCB) in Austin yellow, which costed less than a base 2018 M3/4. I wasn’t sure about Austin yellow (had a choice between white and Austin yellow, but I hate white cars), but have fallen in love with it since the first few days of getting it.

But the point is that the Alfa commercial back in 2017 was all about driving experience and the initial reviews were this is the type of car BMW used to make. and stopped making. I wanted that car for over a year. As much as I love my Austin yellow M3C, when I saw this Ryan Reynolds film 8 underground or something like that with a bright green AR Guilia QV, I thought back to that initial commercial. That film was a crap film, but was like a car commercial for the QV. Even though the movie sucked, it showcased the Alfa better than the cars in the Transporter or Ronin movies and certainly better than current BMW car commercials. If Alfa gets their act together reliability wise, when I replace my 2017 M3C, it might be an Alfa. I just wish that green colour in the movie was actually available for sale!!!

The new BMW car commercials want to make me puke and design wise, the only recent release I like is the limited run M2 CS. However, no way would I pay just under $110k CDN for that. Especially since it’s a two series and BMW gives you downgraded interiors and features (ie no HUD) and the CS is actually selling for more than the G80 m3C is supposed to sell for.

Quote:

Last edited by kss; 11-05-2020 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      11-06-2020, 07:15 AM   #76
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Interesting post.

Re: 2er GC (the car is so disinteresting to me I don't even know the chassis code) - anyone here noticed that in the beginning they have basically portrayed white people as lame and not thinking outside the box? They're filmed being robots who always follow rules, etc, and then you've got people of colour clad in colourful make up and clothes dancing and shit. I stay away from discussing racism or politics, but that ad has a racial undertone that I immediately noticed - intentional or not, it's there. What the fruit was that all about? It wasn't about the car at all, that's for sure. They just showed it at the end of the ad for a few seconds!

Like, what's up with BMW doing perfume commercials where they just show people dancing and barely film the cars? Here's the run down on M3 Launch Films of the past three generations to put things in perspective:

G8x M - people screaming and driving through the docks
F8x M - family man driving on a race track
E9x M - anonymous man in a racing suit driving on a race track
E46 M - car driving through Alpine passes, lotta S54 sound

Obviously, times change and BMW cannot just film a car driving on closed roads; they must be more "dynamic" and catchier than ever, but, like, what's the point of a car commercial if all I am able to take away from it is a man screaming on top of his lungs, cutting a fence with chainsaw.

The Benz EQC film is a masterpiece. Got goose bumps out of it. This is how you introduce a ground-breaking car (for Mercedes, at least) and tell people that your very old brand has made a car for the future, i.e. a full EV.
      11-06-2020, 06:09 PM   #77
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Here is THE M4 commercial 😂

- No engine sound
- No shots of gauges, RPM etc
- The girl is featured more than the car. Is she supposed to be rebelling against her parents?! Lol Really confused at the target market.
- Beyond horrendous!

Just end me man, what the bloody hell in the name of automobile jesus...
Appreciate 0