Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

05-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #1
beyondtheabyss
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Sakhir Orange M4

Question Album Artwork from Android?

Hello all!

Was hoping I could get some help with a small issue. I just made the leap to go from being iPhone loyal to going with the new Samsung Galaxy S8. Just wanted something different than iOS and the new S8 looks amazing but I digress.

One thing that I've noticed that isn't the biggest deal but is currently driving me nuts is the fact that the iDrive system in my 15' M4 can't pull any album artwork from the phone. Doesn't matter if the phone is physically plugged into the car or through bluetooth, the car still can't seem to get the artwork and it's driving me up the wall.

This is my very first android phone so I'm learning as I go and unfortunately all of my friends are iPhone users so I can't really seek suggestions from them and I haven't had much luck finding out any useful information on the internet either. So my quest for a solution has led me here. Hoping someone may have a solution to my tiny problem.

Many thanks in advance guys!
Appreciate 1
MFNATIK3497.00
      05-06-2017, 05:56 PM   #2
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Use properly tagged usb media and you will have artwork with superior audio quality.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 10:05 PM   #3
beyondtheabyss
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto
Use properly tagged usb media and you will have artwork with superior audio quality.
I noticed that whenever I plug the phone in physically to the car, I get a pop up on the phone that asks if I want to allow the iDrive to have access to media files and I press allow. I've also noticed that I'm able to change what it has access to. Like I'm about to give it access to media files or image files or whichever. I have it set to media files but I'm not sure if that's supposed to be like that. Any insight on this?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 01:24 AM   #4
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

iDrive uses the ID3 metadata and pulls the album art from the cloud, not the device. It does teh same when listening to radio stations that provide artist/title info.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 06:52 AM   #5
beyondtheabyss
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn
iDrive uses the ID3 metadata and pulls the album art from the cloud, not the device. It does teh same when listening to radio stations that provide artist/title info.
Interesting. So do you think there's a solution to this little problem I'm having? Do you have any suggestions on what I can possibly do to get it working? Sorry for my ignorance. Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #6
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondtheabyss View Post
Interesting. So do you think there's a solution to this little problem I'm having? Do you have any suggestions on what I can possibly do to get it working? Sorry for my ignorance. Thank you in advance!
Sure. There are services that re-tag your library. You can do a google search, but here's an older article about it.

http://lifehacker.com/5266613/six-be...-tagging-tools
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 01:14 PM   #7
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I noticed that whenever I plug the phone in physically to the car, I get a pop up on the phone that asks if I want to allow the iDrive to have access to media files and I press allow. I've also noticed that I'm able to change what it has access to. Like I'm about to give it access to media files or image files or whichever. I have it set to media files but I'm not sure if that's supposed to be like that. Any insight on this?
It should not ask each time you connect device, but the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
IDrive uses a combination of embedded details as well as Gracenote.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 04:58 PM   #8
beyondtheabyss
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto
Quote:
It should not ask each time you connect device, but the first time.

Quote:
IDrive uses a combination of embedded details as well as Gracenote.
Well, my music was already organized but I used an app called ID3 fixer, I haven't tried checking to see if it worked yet but I'm seriously hoping it works! But I'm confused, what's Gracenote?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 11:30 PM   #9
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Grace note is that service that I was talking about that looks to embedded data and grabs cover art from the cloud...

You should be fine with the ID3 Fixer app.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 11:45 PM   #10
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Grace note is that service that I was talking about that looks to embedded data and grabs cover art from the cloud...

Latest is 03/2017
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 02:40 PM   #11
beyondtheabyss
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn

So I tried to see if the artwork would pop up and unfortunately, still no luck. Any other suggestions gentlemen?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 03:10 AM   #12
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

The other thing you should check is resolution of embedded artwork; if too large, it sometimes will not be displayed. I try to keep mine at 500x500 pixels.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 07:39 AM   #13
apexit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 SO M3

I only stream from my google music account on my S7 and don't get album art either. If I start on one playlist and switch it the HUD will still display the old album names.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 09:52 AM   #14
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit View Post
I only stream from my google music account on my S7 and don't get album art either. If I start on one playlist and switch it the HUD will still display the old album names.
I noticed that as well. Music streamed over BT will not show album art. For me I just load my collection from a USB onto the HDD but not all album art shows. I think it's partly related to properly tagged music as well some art being the wrong resolution.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 06:55 PM   #15
skate0518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46-E85-E92-F82

would like to figure out this issue as well, tried update the tag on mp3 files, tried Spotify, tried USB files ... non of them works ! I tried use my old iphone6s it briefly works but after skip couple songs it stop working as well ...
Appreciate 0