EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-26-2020, 08:27 AM   #45
matty088
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

why? Why does a car manufacturer care
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 10:49 AM   #46
Soul Coughing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMDZidane View Post
You were a relative sophisticate back then. A lot of enthusiasts (especially Supra guys like me) were happy if they were able to get their hands on the S-AFC/VPC combo which was the 'holy grail' for a while
VAFC! I had one of those on my S2000 when I was going boost back in the day. Ended up melting a piston because of how badly it worked! Not sure if you Supra guys had Emanage, but that was a little better, and then finally AEM came out with their EMS v.1 stand alone! Complete game changer for the OG import ECU market. Too bad I had to swap out ECU, cat, injectors, and MAP everything every 2 years to pass inspection in NJ. I do see the benefits of a flash tune as I don't have to worry about changing things out to just get the thing to pass inspection. Hopefully the ECU can be broken!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 11:12 AM   #47
RMDZidane
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Coughing View Post
VAFC! I had one of those on my S2000 when I was going boost back in the day. Ended up melting a piston because of how badly it worked! Not sure if you Supra guys had Emanage, but that was a little better, and then finally AEM came out with their EMS v.1 stand alone! Complete game changer for the OG import ECU market. Too bad I had to swap out ECU, cat, injectors, and MAP everything every 2 years to pass inspection in NJ. I do see the benefits of a flash tune as I don't have to worry about changing things out to just get the thing to pass inspection. Hopefully the ECU can be broken!
Haha, I don't know anything about the VAFC. We were all working with the S-AFC and I was using a 2 BAR MAP sensor for resolution in place of the TPS sensor. When news of the AEM started filtering out a lot of us thought it was 'alchemy', or vaporware because AEM was only known for crappy intakes .... how wrong we were thankfully. So you're right the AEM changed the tuning scene back then.
2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 11:29 AM   #48
Soul Coughing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMDZidane View Post
Haha, I don't know anything about the VAFC. We were all working with the S-AFC and I was using a 2 BAR MAP sensor for resolution in place of the TPS sensor. When news of the AEM started filtering out a lot of us thought it was 'alchemy', or vaporware because AEM was only known for crappy intakes .... how wrong we were thankfully. So you're right the AEM changed the tuning scene back then.
Haha, yeah, seriously! If my memory still works, V-AFC and S-AFC were basically the same unit, the V-AFC was just able to control the VTEC on the Honda motors, basically giving you lots of midrange torque (comparatively speaking) and you could then + or - fuel in those areas. Yeah, AEM really changed the game! I still have my V.1 in my S2000. It's archaic in comparison to new ECUs, but still works for my mild supercharger setup!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 08:58 AM   #49
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

at some point someone will necessarily crack this, I'm looking forward to the results
Appreciate 0