R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-31-2014, 08:36 AM   #1
JoshuaKM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Placing my M3 order today... a few last-minute questions about my build

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...tionId=5400802

A couple of questions...

1. Do you think it's "worth it" to upgrade the leather to the full leather interior and the wheels to the 19 inch rims? I left the 19s out of this build but I would consider adding them if they significantly improve the vehicle's appearance.
2. Do the side and top cameras reduce the risk of curbing the vehicle or should I remove them from the build?
3. Any other options that y'all think would be worthwhile... the sunshade (I live in South Carolina), etc?

Thanks!

Josh
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

There is a wealth of information about wheels, leather options, cameras, and even sunshades in this forum. Did you read it yet? I'd encourage you to use the forum as a source of reference material (it's searchable) and seek out information about these things to help you make an informed purchase. You can always change the options in your order afterward, by the wy. You'll have weeks to do so.

Thanks for posting and enjoy your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 08:49 AM   #3
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKM View Post
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...tionId=5400802

A couple of questions...

1. Do you think it's "worth it" to upgrade the leather to the full leather interior and the wheels to the 19 inch rims? I left the 19s out of this build but I would consider adding them if they significantly improve the vehicle's appearance.
2. Do the side and top cameras reduce the risk of curbing the vehicle or should I remove them from the build?
3. Any other options that y'all think would be worthwhile... the sunshade (I live in South Carolina), etc?

Thanks!

Josh
First off, congrats on your build! I think all of these are subjective, but I'll attempt to help.

1. I personally don't think it's worth it to have full leather. It looks super sweet and the stitching is a really nice detail piece but at that cost, there was no way I could validate that. That money could be much better spent elsewhere.
I think the 18s look nice on this car, but the Silver 19s would probably make your specific build "pop" more. It will look nice. If you plan on getting aftermarket wheels though, dont waste the money on the 19s.
2. I had a discussion with a few people regarding the cameras. General consensus is that they are worthwhile if you are doing any of the following:
-pulling out of blind driveways
-driving anywhere often where your side view is obstructed (street corners with bushes, parallel parked cars, etc.)
-in bigger cars like the 5 series
-parking in tight spots
If those don't often apply to you, it may not be worth it-just a nice-to-have
-Sunshade would be useful if you are parking your car outside in that SC sun for extended periods of time, but otherwise, I don't feel it's worth it.
-If you stream music over bluetooth or use your phone often in the car, the enhanced usb/smartphone option may be a god option for you for ease of use
-Last, LED lights may not provide some HUGE difference, but it's definitely noticeable and they look super nice (unless you don't care about those either).

Regardless, best of luck! Congrats!
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 09:11 AM   #4
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3
Quote:
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...tionId=5400802" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.bmwusa.co...Id=5400802</a>" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://<a href="http...400802</a></a>

A couple of questions...

Thanks!

Josh
First off, congrats on your build! I think all of these are subjective, but I'll attempt to help.

1. I personally don't think it's worth it to have full leather. It looks super sweet and the stitching is a really nice detail piece but at that cost, there was no way I could validate that. That money could be much better spent elsewhere.
I think the 18s look nice on this car, but the Silver 19s would probably make your specific build "pop" more. It will look nice. If you plan on getting aftermarket wheels though, dont waste the money on the 19s.
2. I had a discussion with a few people regarding the cameras. General consensus is that they are worthwhile if you are doing any of the following:
-driving anywhere often where your side view is obstructed (street corners with bushes, parallel parked cars, etc.)
-parking in tight spots
-Sunshade would be useful if you are parking your car outside in that SC sun for extended periods of time, but otherwise, I don't feel it's worth it.
-If you stream music over bluetooth or use your phone often in the car, the enhanced usb/smartphone option may be a god option for you for ease of use
-Last, LED lights may not provide some HUGE difference, but it's definitely noticeable and they look super nice (unless you don't care about those either).

My thoughts pretty much exactly. I really like the rearview camera and the basic parking sensors are great for parking in tight spots. I would highly encourage going with 19" wheels. The 18s will look too small and cheapen the look of the car IMHO. do you really want to have smaller wheels than most 435s on a car with much more pronounced fenders?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 09:39 AM   #5
TheIceStormOf06
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post

-parking in tight spots

Good points. I would add the adjustable suspension. It made a difference on the E92. If your roads aren't glass smooth then consider this. Keep in mind the fixed suspension is in between the sport+ and the sport mode. Very firm from what everyone states. A marketing exec in SC said that it's like an 335i on standard suspension with run flats. I had the 335i on 19" with RFT and the E92 M3 so I'd say no thanks on that. But if you can wait a few more weeks for a test drive I would. The suspension is nothing you can change rafter your car arrives.

Rear sunshade- do you have a little kids? If not, I'd go with a good quality ceramic or heat rejecting tint. I'm in GA so it gets intense here as well. If you get the sunshade you still need tints for the other windows.

Last edited by TheIceStormOf06; 05-31-2014 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 10:35 AM   #6
ake
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 e40

Quote:
1. yes, both make the car look way more upscale
2. yes, if you actually use them
3. get 'em all - sorry, this is such a wide question that no one will really be able to answer as it is up to your preference and your habits (I got most packages/options, not the rear sunshade though)
[ Yas Marina Blue | Black Full Merino Leather | 19" Black-Light Alloy Wheels | M Double-Clutch Transmission | Carbon Fiber interior | Driver Assistance Plus / Lighting / Executive | Adaptive M Suspension | Harman Kardon Surround ]
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 10:53 AM   #7
tooch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Its worth it to upgrade the wheels at least. I don't wanna spend the extra dough for all leather, then I changed my mind and glad I did its a big difference with all leather really sets it apart from a regular 4 series

96 E31 JB
07 E92 AW
F82 BSM
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 11:04 AM   #8
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceStormOf06 View Post
Good points. I would add the adjustable suspension. It made a difference on the E92. If your roads aren't glass smooth then consider this. Keep in mind the fixed suspension is in between the sport+ and the sport mode. Very firm from what everyone states. A marketing exec in SC said that it's like an 335i on standard suspension with run flats. I had the 335i on 19" with RFT and the E92 M3 so I'd say no thanks on that. But if you can wait a few more weeks for a test drive I would. The suspension is nothing you can change rafter your car arrives.

Rear sunshade- do you have a little kids? If not, I'd go with a good quality ceramic or heat rejecting tint. I'm in GA so it gets intense here as well. If you get the sunshade you still need tints for the other windows.
Agreed, but he already has adjustable suspension in his build!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 08:17 PM   #9
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
1. 19s all day the 18s are cool but for 1200 19s are the bargain

2. If you like luxury get full leather

3. Get the side and top camera I'm sad I didn't tick the box and my car is in production already. It's only 750 too
      05-31-2014, 09:31 PM   #10
tooch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Got an update for us? What'd you end up getting?

96 E31 JB
07 E92 AW
F82 BSM
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 09:52 PM   #11
Imtheweezel
Rep
Drives: 2004 E320

What about ceramic brakes? What's your thoughts on them?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 10:33 PM   #12
mxa121
Major
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imtheweezel View Post
What about ceramic brakes? What's your thoughts on them?
A very nice option, but I do not think they are "worth" it.
Definitely add to the cool factor and may improve handling, but the standard brakes have already been said to be an improvement over the E9X car.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 05:23 AM   #13
darmstadt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Alpina B3Biturbo (soon M3)

Quote:
I don't know about the USA but over here there is only one packet which is the Connected Drive Navigations packet which comes with that but also comes with 20gb of storage to which you can also copy your music to. I wouldn't use bluetooth for streaming as it tends to flatten my phone's battery reasonably quickly. At the moment on my Alpina I just connect my phone via USB which not only charges it but allows me to play music from it (and thats an android as well!)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 07:26 AM   #14
IMrMark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.66]
^ Bluetooth audio is standard as well!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #15
SOM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: SO F80

I think full leather costs too much for what you get...skip it.
19" wheels are a must...definitely tick that box.
Cameras are a gimmick I would probably skip it.

Ultimately it's you car so you decide what matters to you.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 08:40 AM   #16
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Bluetooth Audio is standard.

The features included in the Enhanced USB/Smartphone integration (6NS) option have been discussed ad nauseum in this forum.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #17
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Bluetooth Audio is standard.

The features included in the Enhanced USB/Smartphone integration (6NS) option have been discussed ad nauseum in this forum.
I know it's standard . I was simply stating that if he does use his phone for various things (as described in my post above) then it's worth looking into. If not, then he probably doesn't care.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #18
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
I know it's standard . I was simply stating that if he does use his phone for various things (as described in my post above) then it's worth looking into. If not, then he probably doesn't care.
If you knew that Bluetooth Audio is standard then why are you even suggesting that spending $500 will get you that? That was the only thing that you suggested, not "various" things. The standard Bluetooth for phone does all the expected phone features -Caller ID, in/out calls, hold, conference calls, dial by number, dial by name.

So the "various" things are also standard.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #19
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
If you knew that Bluetooth Audio is standard then why are you even suggesting that spending $500 will get you that? That was the only thing that you suggested, not "various" things. The standard Bluetooth for phone does all the expected phone features -Caller ID, in/out calls, hold, conference calls, dial by number, dial by name.

So the "various" things are also standard.
When I say use it for various things, i am specifically speaking of the other things that the enhanced USB offers. I am not going to sit here and list them all out for him specifically (sorry if that's not your style) My thoughts are: If he doesn't use the phone for anything more than what is STANDARD, then he won't be interested in that. If so, it will encourage him to see what other things it can do, which has been discussed ad nauseum in these forums. Thanks for your input, though. You've offered much to the discussion.
Appreciate 0