ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-14-2014, 09:12 PM   #45
JoM3z
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 CP XDrive G82 M4 - SSG

Garage List
This is speculative at this point, but my SA told me that some dealership will and can get these contrast stitching on order. I'm guessing those dealership that has high M sales volume may be able to pull this off.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 09:15 PM   #46
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I want a M4 for the way it drives, not what color stitching is on the seats.
Is it that why you drive a 4x4 Toyota?

Just kidding. No, you're not the minority. For me, the primary reason for getting the M4, as it was for my previous M3s, is how it drives. And I believe it is the same for most of us here.

But for me, when I dish out $100k on something (yes, that is what it will cost here in Canada with the taxes), I do pay attention to smaller details such as stitching to make the ownership experience more enjoyable .

Last edited by CanAutM3; 03-15-2014 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 08:30 AM   #47
moonsault270
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I want a M4 for the way it drives, not what color stitching is on the seats.
Your not in the minority, but when your under the impression that your build is going to be a certain way and find that it isn't, it is disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #48
JMon
FAST
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 Cup

The questions regarding the contrasting stitching is the one thing holding me back from placing an order. For me this is a NO GO problem.
That may sound really silly but I have my reasons.
The interior looks beautiful with it, but more plain without it. For me it is such a sharp contrast. (Especially when fully black)
It makes a big difference, especially on the dash.
Think about this.... It was a big enough deal to put it on the show cars.
I have contrasting stitching on my street 997 and my ML (That btw has fake leather and they were thoughtful enough to use contrasting stitching)
Both vehicles look much better with it, especially on the dash and doors.
It looks like an easy option on the current 4 series that exists at no upcharge.
For me, a little detail like that separates the interior from say a 320i.

I've also called the dealer and they don't seem to have the answers either. So sadly, maybe I'm going to have to wait on this one until I get more solid answers or cars actually start showing up for delivery.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 09:57 PM   #49
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMon View Post
The questions regarding the contrasting stitching is the one thing holding me back from placing an order. For me this is a NO GO problem.
That may sound really silly but I have my reasons.
The interior looks beautiful with it, but more plain without it. For me it is such a sharp contrast. (Especially when fully black)
It makes a big difference, especially on the dash.
Think about this.... It was a big enough deal to put it on the show cars.
I have contrasting stitching on my street 997 and my ML (That btw has fake leather and they were thoughtful enough to use contrasting stitching)
Both vehicles look much better with it, especially on the dash and doors.
It looks like an easy option on the current 4 series that exists at no upcharge.
For me, a little detail like that separates the interior from say a 320i.

I've also called the dealer and they don't seem to have the answers either. So sadly, maybe I'm going to have to wait on this one until I get more solid answers or cars actually start showing up for delivery.
I'm not so sure it's a deal breaker for me but I agree with everything else you said. Even my wifes Jeep came with contrasting stitching and it was under 50K. BMW should do the right thing and make that standard or a no-cost option.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #50
michaelw9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 Yas Marina Blue M4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDIwWsQ37Tk
There is always the option of buying fabric pens that will only dye the fabric material of the thread, and don't affect the leather. It can't be that hard. Supposedly it works on black thread too, or if not you could always bleach it somehow.
If it's this easy, I really can't see why you can't just go "Individual" all on your own.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 01:52 AM   #51
unagi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
That trim on the Jeep is going to look busy in a couple years with 8-9 textures.... It's a faddish look that's current in design at the moment. For me, the CF trim is enough detail. The steering wheel should also have ///M stitching. If you dress it up too much, you look like a Brit in a suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
I'm not so sure it's a deal breaker for me but I agree with everything else you said. Even my wifes Jeep came with contrasting stitching and it was under 50K. BMW should do the right thing and make that standard or a no-cost option.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 06:24 AM   #52
karbonphiber
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelw9 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDIwWsQ37Tk
There is always the option of buying fabric pens that will only dye the fabric material of the thread, and don't affect the leather. It can't be that hard. Supposedly it works on black thread too, or if not you could always bleach it somehow.
If it's this easy, I really can't see why you can't just go "Individual" all on your own.
That's ghetto. The proper way would be to un-stitch the existing and re-stitch new.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 10:00 AM   #53
karbonphiber
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M4

my dealer just confirmed with me that I can get white contrast stitching on my black full merino interior (Upper dash, door handle, glove box, seats, side door,...)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 11:19 AM   #54
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbonphiber View Post
my dealer just confirmed with me that I can get white contrast stitching on my black full merino interior (Upper dash, door handle, glove box, seats, side door,...)
Can get as in you need to pay on top of the full leather price?

Clearly this is more money gouging from BMW as they had indicated contrast stitching was standard. Add it up to the executive pack nonsense and you've got a car that is 10 grand over priced.

And before the internet wise guys get involved, it's not what you can afford it's about transparency and what you're willing to pay. BMW are playing games with longtime customers and the siren call to switch to AMG or return to Porsche is getting ever louder....
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 10:11 PM   #55
Flying Brick
Private
Rep
Drives: m

So i got a hold of this, through my dealership. They confirmed it for me. That its light grey contrast stitching on the seats. Please find attached reference imagery.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 11:30 PM   #56
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

I kept laughing at you guys about obsessing over this tiny detail. Seriously funny, till you remember every detail that drives your self to the walls.

Well, it's a good thing that two weeks after putting down the down payment, I just thought there is a real possibility that m4 won't fit in our garage. I just spent a whole lot of time trying to find something to measure with, and now me and my laptop (I got the width of this damned machine from manufactures web page) are going to check the possible fuck up of my life. I need to get back to the stitching.

I swear this thing will kill me before I wrap it around a tree.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 07:25 AM   #57
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Brick View Post
So i got a hold of this, through my dealership. They confirmed it for me. That its light grey contrast stitching on the seats. Please find attached reference imagery.
I am not sure this image confirms anything. It is simply a snapshot taken from one of the configurators. If you look carefully, there is no stitching on the passenger door handle.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 08:47 AM   #58
M8 JTD
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d & 718 GTS

The real confusion here has come from the fact that the only reference BMW have made to contrast stitching so far is the 2015 “Individual” option below:

The BMW.com website quotes:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...idual.html#t=l
“Colourful accents you can see and feel. The contrasting stitching from BMW Individual is the highest expression of elegance, impressively accentuating the full fine-grain Merino leather in Black. There are four colours to choose from: Sakhir Orange, Silverstone, Yellow or Blue. (Expected to be available from 2015.)”

This is consistent with the German M4 brochure – re “Individual” contrast stitching – Page 24 “Für das BMW M4 Coupé voraussichtlich verfügbar ab 2015” or translated “For the BMW M4 Coupe expected to be available from 2015”.

Yet every M3/M4 that BMW has displayed to the public (including all BMW website images) show white/grey contrast stitching on both black interior options (i.e. LKSW “Extended” & X3SW “Full”).

I've ordered standard "Black Extended Merino Leather - Code: LKSW" on my M4 and I'm really hoping the white/grey contrast stitching is standard otherwise I fear the interior will be too dark/black with no relief (especially as I've spec'd the Carbon trim as well).

I now have a case reference open with BMW UK customer services – I’ll post as soon as I hear anything back.

Regards,
Joe
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #59
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4 JTD View Post
The real confusion here has come from the fact that the only reference BMW have made to contrast stitching so far is the 2015 “Individual” option below:

“Colourful accents you can see and feel. The contrasting stitching from BMW Individual is the highest expression of elegance, impressively accentuating the full fine-grain Merino leather in Black. There are four colours to choose from: Sakhir Orange, Silverstone, Yellow or Blue. (Expected to be available from 2015.)”

This is consistent with the German M4 brochure – re “Individual” contrast stitching – Page 24 “Für das BMW M4 Coupé voraussichtlich verfügbar ab 2015” or translated “For the BMW M4 Coupe expected to be available from 2015”.

Yet every M3/M4 that BMW has displayed to the public (including all BMW website images) show white/grey contrast stitching on both black interior options (i.e. LKSW “Extended” & X3SW “Full”).

I've ordered standard "Black Extended Merino Leather - Code: LKSW" on my M4 and I'm really hoping the white/grey contrast stitching is standard otherwise I fear the interior will be too dark/black with no relief (especially as I've spec'd the Carbon trim as well).

I now have a case reference open with BMW UK customer services – I’ll post as soon as I hear anything back.

Regards,
Joe
Agreed

The confusion you mention and your concern towards it is exactly the reason for me starting this thread.

Please do post whatever info you get back. So far I have been only getting even more confusing feedback from both my dealer and BMW Canada (see updates in my OP).

Based on the different info, what I am presently assuming is that WHITE contrasting stitching is standard, but Silverstone, Sakhir Orange, Yellow and Blue stitching will be offered as individual options.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 02:34 AM   #60
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Quote:

This is consistent with the German M4 brochure – re “Individual” contrast stitching – Page 24 “Fr das BMW M4 Coup voraussichtlich verfgbar ab 2015” or translated “For the BMW M4 Coupe expected to be available from 2015”.

Regards,
Joe
Agreed

The confusion you mention and your concern towards it is exactly the reason for me starting this thread.

Please do post whatever info you get back. So far I have been only getting even more confusing feedback from both my dealer and BMW Canada (see updates in my OP).

Based on the different info, what I am presently assuming is that WHITE contrasting stitching is standard, but Silverstone, Sakhir Orange, Yellow and Blue stitching will be offered as individual options.
If the latter is true, I'm good with that.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 05:40 AM   #61
M8 JTD
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi all,

I have some good news - A definitive answer from BMW UK regarding the white contrast being standard on both (LKSW “Extended” & X3SW “Full”) black Merino leather interiors.

Thank you for your email dated March 19, 2014.

I can confirm that contrast white stitching is available with black Extended Leather and Full Merino Leather on the BMW M4. Therefore, should you have ordered one of the mentioned Leather options, then the vehicle will be manufactured with white contrast stitching.

Once again, thank you for contacting BMW UK. I trust this information gives you the clarity you required. Should you require my attention in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

BMW Group UK”
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 06:15 AM   #62
UK6
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & 330e

Quote:
Hi all,

I have some good news - A definitive answer from BMW UK regarding the white contrast being standard on both (LKSW “Extended” & X3SW “Full”) black Merino leather interiors.

I can confirm that contrast white stitching is available with black Extended Leather and Full Merino Leather on the BMW M4. Therefore, should you have ordered one of the mentioned Leather options, then the vehicle will be manufactured with white contrast stitching.

Once again, thank you for contacting BMW UK. I trust this information gives you the clarity you required. Should you require my attention in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

BMW Group UK”
good work
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #63
Below Speed Limit
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

I would still be cautious. In the past, I got very different similar responses from BMW regarding questions about competition wheels of the M3 (whether they are cast or forged and which is heavier etc). I got 3 different responses over a span of 2-3 months.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 10:06 AM   #64
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Below Speed Limit View Post
I would still be cautious. In the past, I got very different similar responses from BMW regarding questions about competition wheels of the M3 (whether they are cast or forged and which is heavier etc). I got 3 different responses over a span of 2-3 months.
I hear you, but because every known photo of black leather has shown contrast stitching, I would assume this information to be accurate. I just wish contrast stitching were also offered on the other leather colors. Even my X3 has it with the oyster leather interior and it adds a lot of interest to the look.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #65
M8 JTD
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi all,

Yours sincerely

BMW Group UK”

Small update from BMW UK: The contrast stitching is actually a light grey rather than a pure white.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 07:59 AM   #66
M3Power79
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 1M sold - M4 MW DKG ordered

Quote:
Small update from BMW UK: The contrast stitching is actually a light grey rather than a pure white.
This is good news, maybe a tiny detail for some but a HUGH difference in overall look of the interior. I went for full black leather interior because i was able to take a seat in the M4 @ Brussels autoshow in january with extented black leather with a kind of grey contraststiching. Thank you very much to clear this out for us!
"... on the smiles-per-mile charts, the 1-series M coupe can't be beat. It is a challenging piece, a triple-X-rated driver's machine for semi-professionals. Its handling balance provides an open invitation to indulge in latent oversteer, and provides an opportunity to separate the men from the boys. It is an absolute hoot on the track and an addictive plaything on your favorite twisty back road. "
Appreciate 0