European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

06-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #23
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNole2001 View Post
Just for shits and giggles, I did a Google Image Search for "Sweden Roads"

https://www.google.com/search?q=swed...=1851&bih=1115

Really the only thing I can see in Swedish roads is that in the city there are dedicated lanes for the light rail (something that US cities like San Francisco have). Aside from that, I might as well be looking at pictures of roads here in the USA.
For one thing i know that in US often have a lot more lanes especially in the city areas and highways and yes i know there are also bigger European cities with more lanes but not normaly not as much and as often as in the US.
I wonder if the adaptive tech even been tested there in the US?

Im not sure even if the tech is available in all European markets ie Countrys as the roads can be quite different here too ,i know that it is available in Sweden,Germany and UK though.

As i have said before this is what i think its not facts so might be wrong but im just saying that it might not work as well there.

All in all i think you have the most benefit of it if you often drive on dark 2 lane smaller roads.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 10:12 AM   #24
NewNole2001
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 328i, 2015 F8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holset View Post
For one thing i know that in US often have a lot more lanes especially in the city areas and highways and yes i know there are also bigger European cities with more lanes but not normaly not as much and as often as in the US.
I wonder if the adaptive tech even been tested there in the US?

Im not sure even if the tech is available in all European markets ie Countrys as the roads can be quite different here too ,i know that it is available in Sweden,Germany and UK though.

As i have said before this is what i think its not facts so might be wrong but im just saying that it might not work as well there.

All in all i think you have the most benefit of it if you often drive on dark 2 lane smaller roads.
The US is just like that. Sure, we have big cities, but the vast majority of the roads in the US are either dark two lane roads or four lane interstates/highways.

Most US interstates look just like German Autobahns:
Autobahn

US Interstate

Areas where the US interstates or highways look like this are relatively few and far between.

Incidentally, I found a great Youtube channel where you can check out US highways both urban and rural.

Here is one of the channel's videos:
[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRhm2yKnU-0[/u2b]
This video probably won't work properly once I actually post it, so just copy/paste the url.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #25
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
The US is just like that. Sure, we have big cities, but the vast majority of the roads in the US are either dark two lane roads or four lane interstates/highways.

Most US interstates look just like German Autobahns:
Autobahn

US Interstate

Areas where the US interstates or highways look like this are relatively few and far between.

Incidentally, I found a great Youtube channel where you can check out US highways both urban and rural.

Here is one of the channel's videos:
[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRhm2yKnU-0[/u2b]
This video probably won't work properly once I actually post it, so just copy/paste the url.
Thanks for the pics and video.
As i said before on the smaller dark 2 lane roads i dont think it will be any problems its the areas in and around cities and bigger highways i think can cause problems.
But i dont know i just think it may cause problems.

But do you agree that you will see most benefit on dark smaller roads?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 10:36 AM   #26
NewNole2001
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 328i, 2015 F8

Quote:
Thanks for the pics and video.
As i said before on the smaller dark 2 lane roads i dont think it will be any problems its the areas in and around cities and bigger highways i think can cause problems.
But i dont know i just think it may cause problems.

But do you agree that you will see most benefit on dark smaller roads?
The most benefit will be on dark roads, small or large doesn't matter. To be able to have high beams on that don't point at oncoming traffic will be awesome whether the road has two lanes or is a four lane divided highway with no lighting.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #27
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

I agree ... here's my input from real life USA use of the Dazzle LEDs:

Frequently used on 2 and 5 lane highways in NJ, 1 lane back roads and "side-streets"

On the highways (both sizes), the KAFAS camera can skillfully detect the vehicles I am approaching and will dim the lights appropriately as I approach the vehicles, so they are not affected by the high beams. As far as opposing traffic is concerned, depending on the space between directions of travel (concrete median v. grassy, wide median), the camera does a good job at detecting the distance between opposing traffic to adjust the angle of the left headlight beam to prevent glare to opposing traffic, while maximizing my visibility in my lanes of travel. The technology in the headlight itself is amazing and versatile, and it seems like the beam can be directed in an infinite number of directions.

On streets lit with street lights, the system rarely engages ... my presumption is due to all of the ambient light being detected by the camera, as well as the frequency of opposing traffic. Where this system really shines (pun intended) is on a 1 lane highway that is not lit with street lights ... this is where I see the system do it's best job, and perform exactly as the videos from BMW demonstrate.

On "back-roads" & non-street-lit "side-streets" the system functions like it does in the videos to a "t"! Simply amazing.

If you buy the LED Lighting Package ... you would be a fool to not code the dazzle back on ... for the times it does engage (depending on how much you travel "poorly" lit roads) you will be amazed in how well it works!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 10:55 AM   #28
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
The most benefit will be on dark roads, small or large doesn't matter. To be able to have high beams on that don't point at oncoming traffic will be awesome whether the road has two lanes or is a four lane divided highway with no lighting.
Ok good
I was thinking in more wooded and rural areas and such were there might be wild animals and also the lighbeams can stay higher up and to the sides for longer periods of time.
I often drive on these types of roads.

And too be clear when i mean small two lane road i mean one lane in each direction.

Last edited by Holset; 06-25-2014 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #29
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillpusher84 View Post
I agree ... here's my input from real life USA use of the Dazzle LEDs:

Frequently used on 2 and 5 lane highways in NJ, 1 lane back roads and "side-streets"

On the highways (both sizes), the KAFAS camera can skillfully detect the vehicles I am approaching and will dim the lights appropriately as I approach the vehicles, so they are not affected by the high beams. As far as opposing traffic is concerned, depending on the space between directions of travel (concrete median v. grassy, wide median), the camera does a good job at detecting the distance between opposing traffic to adjust the angle of the left headlight beam to prevent glare to opposing traffic, while maximizing my visibility in my lanes of travel. The technology in the headlight itself is amazing and versatile, and it seems like the beam can be directed in an infinite number of directions.

On streets lit with street lights, the system rarely engages ... my presumption is due to all of the ambient light being detected by the camera, as well as the frequency of opposing traffic. Where this system really shines (pun intended) is on a 1 lane highway that is not lit with street lights ... this is where I see the system do it's best job, and perform exactly as the videos from BMW demonstrate.

On "back-roads" & non-street-lit "side-streets" the system functions like it does in the videos to a "t"! Simply amazing.

If you buy the LED Lighting Package ... you would be a fool to not code the dazzle back on ... for the times it does engage (depending on how much you travel "poorly" lit roads) you will be amazed in how well it works!
Great thats it working good for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 11:14 AM   #30
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Quote:
Great thats it working good for you.
thanks ... my point is such that BMW did an awesome job in engineering and coding the technology that interprets the camera's feedback and translates into dynamic lighting that it should work well for most people in most circumstances ... just not in areas with a large amount of ambient light ... you will always be in low-beam
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 09:14 AM   #31
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Intresting new video about new Laserlight tech mostly BMW's ,close to the end the guy talks about that all US halogen,xenon and LED's are downgraded in light intensity vs European ones.

Car and Driver

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 08:10 AM   #32
IMrMark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.66]
Quote:
Intresting new video about new Laserlight tech mostly BMW's ,close to the end the guy talks about that all US halogen,xenon and LED's are downgraded in light intensity vs European ones.
cool video! thanks for sharing it
Instagram: IMrMark
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #33
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMrMark View Post
cool video! thanks for sharing it
No problem!

Enjoy your M4
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 11:49 PM   #34
tooch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Has anyone coded the dazzle back on yet for an M4?

96 E31 JB
07 E92 AW
F82 BSM
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 11:42 AM   #35
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooch
I will be doing extensive coding on my f80 next week as long as my car arrives this week as scheduled to my dealer from ED trip. This will be the first thing on my hit list and will report back ASAP on success
      07-22-2014, 09:44 AM   #36
classic6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB/BB E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooch View Post
i did last night and got a chance to use it on the highway and back roads.

on highways it works but with all the lighting around highways it did trigger the system on and off more than i expected. but this was the first time i used it.

on back roads, this lighting system is insane!! Performed just like the videos on youtube.

I would definitely say its a must to decode!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 10:23 PM   #37
tooch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic6 View Post
i did last night and got a chance to use it on the highway and back roads.

on highways it works but with all the lighting around highways it did trigger the system on and off more than i expected. but this was the first time i used it.

on back roads, this lighting system is insane!! Performed just like the videos on youtube.

I would definitely say its a must to decode!

Cool thanks for the update

96 E31 JB
07 E92 AW
F82 BSM
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 09:42 PM   #38
nepats81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BSM ZCP M4

hey guys - how can I code this...are people still doing this?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 10:12 AM   #39
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepats81 View Post
I had my coded by Okee @ CodeMyCar.com

give him a ring @ 1-585-496-4648
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 12:19 PM   #40
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:

Sure, possible on PRE-LCI front lights so anything with production date to 03/2017.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 08:06 PM   #41
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
Quote:

Sure, possible on PRE-LCI front lights so anything with production date to 03/2017.

Thanks
Thanks, it does not fully work for the Icon Adaptive led lights, so sad.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 03:06 PM   #42
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Happened to notice - 6 years and 4 days between posts. Is this a record?
Appreciate 0