proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-18-2019, 06:52 AM   #23
mindspin311
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Great video, I have a set in my garage that will go on eventually.
      07-18-2019, 11:59 AM   #24
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
TL, so I think when the time comes for me, I will most likely install GC camber plates at the same time. I like how you were able to remove/install the front springs without the use of a spring compressor by keeping the stock spring hats installed (I recently had a "near death" experience with those rental spring compressors so I would rather not use them ). Looking at your video, it seems that removing the stock hats and replacing them with the GC camber plates (before re-installing the new MP springs) should be pretty straight forward. I know the aluminum brace will need to come out, but that looks pretty easy as well.

Is there any reason why the camber plates swap would not work like I described? Is there any other detail (or tip) about the camber plates swap that I am missing?

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 12:18 PM   #25
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
TL, so I think when the time comes for me, I will most likely install GC camber plates at the same time. I like how you were able to remove/install the front springs without the use of a spring compressor by keeping the stock spring hats installed (I recently had a "near death" experience with those rental spring compressors so I would rather not use them ). Looking at your video, it seems that removing the stock hats and replacing them with the GC camber plates (before re-installing the new MP springs) should be pretty straight forward. I know the aluminum brace will need to come out, but that looks pretty easy as well.

Is there any reason why the camber plates swap would not work like I described? Is there any other detail (or tip) about the camber plates swap that I am missing?
It's exactly that. Should be simple.
Keep in mind they you do not need to remove the aluminum brace altogether. Removing the bolts holding the strut bearing will be enough. Then you can flex the brace up and remove the bearings
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 02:37 PM   #26
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy L Garage View Post
Quote:

It's exactly that. Should be simple.
Keep in mind they you do not need to remove the aluminum brace altogether. Removing the bolts holding the strut bearing will be enough. Then you can flex the brace up and remove the bearings
Really? I saw another spring install video where it stated that the aluminum strut brace covered 2 of the 5 strut hat bolts on the passenger side and therefore required removal (but the strut brace did not cover any on the driver side strut hat). I guess I need to do a bit more reconn under my hood....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 02:41 PM   #27
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

Quote:
Really? I saw another spring install video where it stated that the aluminum strut brace covered 2 of the 5 strut hat bolts on the passenger side and therefore required removal (but the strut brace did not cover any on the driver side strut hat).
I removed the passenger-side strut bearing by undoing all the aluminum brace bolts holding it, except the two main ones by the wiper stalks, covered by the plastic caps. Those are the two that you do not technically need to remove.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1823.50
      11-13-2019, 05:21 AM   #28
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Tommy, now that you have had these on for a good amount of time, have you noticed any clunks or clicking in your suspension when driving over certain bumps? I've read so many threads on this forum of people getting new springs and then getting hard to find clunks when going over bumps or any non smooth pavement. . I'm hoping this isn't the case with the MP HAS. Thanks for the 6 month update!
Appreciate 0