EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

Closed Thread

12-28-2019, 09:31 PM   #1
YMS
Y Motorsport
Rep
Drives: M4 M3

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi BMW Fans,

As many of you know, I am a M4GTS owner that has been extensively modifying my car to make it faster on the race track. I have always believed that the street legal track car standard is the Porsche GT3RS and I must admit that any form of the BMW M4 including the GTS is miles away from the GT3RS. Yes, the M4 is much cheaper than a GT3RS but there is no amount of bolt on modifications that will make the M4 perform on the level of the GT3RS; however, I have a solution! First, I would like to give an introduction about myself.

My name is Yufeng or you can just call me Y. I have been a professional race car driver for a number of years racing all over world in various formula car and GT championships. Throughout my racing career, I have noticed that the teams and personnel at the pinnacle of motorsport rarely have an interest to offer their knowledge and services to street cars. If just a small amount of race engineering went into a street car, it might be able to go substantially faster on a race track. The truth is, a properly set up race car is much easier and enjoyable to drive at speed than a street car. I want to give fellow street car owners the opportunity to feel the sensation of driving a properly engineered race car without losing the ability to drive their cars on the street. To fulfill that ambition, I started YMS.

YMS is a Los Angeles based professional race shop that does everything from bolt on installations to race car design. We give street car owners access to motorsport level services such as alignment and corner balance on a full blown race car set up pad done by real race car mechanics. Our technical director Ricardo Divila is officially the most experienced race car designer and engineer in the world. Some of his achievements include designing numerous Formula 1 cars, engineering two Formula 1 World Championships, technical director at Nissan Motorsports (Nismo) from 1996-2012, designing all the Nissan Skyline and GTR race cars, and engineering the Nissan GTR Nismo Nurburgring lap record. Our shop manager/chief mechanic used to manage the biggest Lamborghini Super Trofeo team in the world and orchestrated 3 Lamborghini Super Trofeo World Championships titles in a row. We apply the same philosophy used in professional motorsport to every job from a simple suspension overhaul all the way to frame up builds.

We are currently taking a BMW M4 and a brand new Toyota Supra, stripping them down to the frame, and turning them into track day specials that can be daily driven on the street. We are considering doing a small production run for these cars and trying to see how many people would be interested in owning OEM quality street registered track cars that can beat GT4 race cars on track. The cars have a base mechanical design and the rest can be spec'd in any way desired. The base price of the cars will be much less than entry level super cars and the cars will also come with warranties.

Design Philosophy
1. Car need to appear, function, and feel OEM
2. Car need to be possible to daily drive on the street
3. Car will generate most the lap time through the suspension and weight reduction
4. Price point must be much lower than a entry level super car

Chassis
1. FIA roll cage
2. Lightened vehicle frame
3. All deflection points removed
4. Optional air jacks

Interior
1. OEM dash, center console, and carpet retained
2. Carbon fiber interior panels
3. Optional A/C and radio
4. FIA standard bucket seats with 6 point harnesses
*optional Formula 1 style seat insert custom made for driver*
5. Interior can be spec'd in any configuration expect for safety equipment
6. Optional carbon fiber dash and center console

Suspension
1. Fully adjustable
2. Motorsport dampers (2 way, 3 way, 4 way)
3. Lightened suspension assembly
4. Optimized suspension geometry

Aerodynamics
1. M4GTS or GT4 front splitter with scrape protection
2. M240Ir or GT4 rear wing
3. M4 GT4 hood
4. Optional carbon fiber fenders
5. Optional carbon fiber trunk
6. Optional carbon fiber doors
7. Optional lightweight glass
8. Optional aero optimized under tray

Drivetrain
1. Dual clutch or manual transmission
2. Motorsport differential
3. Optimized final drive
4. Optional cooling ducts
5. Optional coolers

Steering
1. Optimized steering geometry
2. OEM electronic power steering
3. OEM, aftermarket, or formula style steering wheel
4. Optional custom steering position

Engine
1. Unrestricted OEM engine with custom calibration
2. Light weight exhaust with motorsport mufflers
*Exhaust can be optioned in titanium or inconel*

Electronics
1. Motorsport battery
2. Optional M4 GT4 electronics package
3. Optional motorsport ABS/traction control
4. Optional fire suppression system

Brakes
1. Motorsport system
2. Optional manual pedal box with brake bias control

Wheels
1. 18x11 motorsport wheels front and rear

Please let me know your thoughts and follow us on Instagram @ymotorsport to keep up with progress. Thank you!

Below is a youtube series we started to document our shop car:
EP1 -

Last edited by YMS; 02-10-2020 at 01:25 AM..
Appreciate 25
Gomeler500.00
Lienrocs701.00
tambat59.00
JustChris17423.00
JD11937129.50
AndrewC198910903.50
mkoesel7505.50
luke1990132.50
mcvaughan702.00
Mr Pete1595.50
chief207.00
Niko ZV118.00
markeys26.00
pmilani43.50
Poodle64.50
Patrik158.00
clee1982796.00
M4RAUDR248.00
      12-29-2019, 12:17 AM   #2
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

This sounds so cool!! Good luck!!
Appreciate 1
YMS255.50
      12-29-2019, 07:05 AM   #3
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Wow this sounds amazing.
Appreciate 1
YMS255.50
      12-29-2019, 08:45 AM   #4
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Oh wow. I hope you get the necessary interest to complete this project...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 2
YMS255.50
tambat59.00
      12-29-2019, 08:46 AM   #5
ninekrpm
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 (Track) / E92M3 (Street)

I might be interested, but would need to learn more...also are you aiming for a GT3 or GT4?

For me, a GTS is much affordable then a GT3 / GT3RS. However, cost of used GTS + transformation investment + data (with validation) will determine if the GTS route would makes sense...

I have been contemplating a GTS for a couple months now, especially given the significant price drop...but can they be competitive out of the box compared to lets say, a GT4 (P-Car).

Look forward to meeting you at some point, I am in OC and will likely stop by soon.
Appreciate 2
YMS255.50
Samo6556130.50
      12-29-2019, 11:35 AM   #6
YMS
Y Motorsport
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninekrpm View Post
I might be interested, but would need to learn more...also are you aiming for a GT3 or GT4?

For me, a GTS is much affordable then a GT3 / GT3RS. However, cost of used GTS + transformation investment + data (with validation) will determine if the GTS route would makes sense...

I have been contemplating a GTS for a couple months now, especially given the significant price drop...but can they be competitive out of the box compared to lets say, a GT4 (P-Car).

Look forward to meeting you at some point, I am in OC and will likely stop by soon.
The target car is the 991 Porsche GT3RS. The cars that we intend build with fully loaded options would be more technically advanced than OEM FIA GT4 racecars giving them the chance to be faster.

Ideally, you would not want to start with a GTS as the base cost of the GTS is much higher than a regular M4. The cars are built from the frame up and most special components in the GTS will be stripped out. It makes much more sense to start with a slightly used M4. We have yet to determine exact pricing but we are aiming for a base price of $135,000. This price includes the cost of a used M4.

Please feel free to swing by. We are currently still in the process of moving into our new 6000 sq ft facility in Whittier. We should be fully operational and open to the public mid January.
Appreciate 2
      12-29-2019, 01:32 PM   #7
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Cool project. When do you expect a prototype and track validation testing?

Sounds like you have a very legitimate team assembled, but for 135k probably hard to gauge interest before presenting the end product to the community.

With the extensive modifications, how close did you come to RS pace with your GTS? Presumably you were able to better 991.1 GT3 lap times by some margin.

Appreciate 3
YMS255.50
mcvaughan702.00
clee1982796.00
      12-29-2019, 02:44 PM   #8
YMS
Y Motorsport
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Cool project. When do you expect a prototype and track validation testing?

Sounds like you have a very legitimate team assembled, but for 135k probably hard to gauge interest before presenting the end product to the community.

With the extensive modifications, how close did you come to RS pace with your GTS? Presumably you were able to better 991.1 GT3 lap times by some margin.
We should have the first iteration of the M4 done within the next two months. A lot of it will depend how many other builds we have.

We are more interested to know if there is an interest for people to own essentially a street registered GT4 racecar with some comfort amenities put back in. The car will have 90% track and 10% street DNA.

We have never had the chance to do a back to back with a GT3 and our M4GTS with the same driver and conditions. Unfortunately, we won't be able to do any further tests with the M4GTS in its current state as the car is getting stripped down to the frame this week.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 06:27 PM   #9
Continental02
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMS View Post
We should have the first iteration of the M4 done within the next two months. A lot of it will depend how many other builds we have.

We are more interested to know if there is an interest for people to own essentially a street registered GT4 racecar with some comfort amenities put back in. The car will have 90% track and 10% street DNA.

We have never had the chance to do a back to back with a GT3 and our M4GTS with the same driver and conditions. Unfortunately, we won't be able to do any further tests with the M4GTS in its current state as the car is getting stripped down to the frame this week.
Some things to consider in addition to the comfort amenities would be:
  • Noisy street pads - should be easy to change pads quickly and have a solution that's silent on the street
  • Multi-use alignment or solution for swapping back and forth between alignments. Constantly changing alignments adds up in cost
  • Airjacks would be great for swapping between street and track wheels if desired or rotating wheels at the track
  • Preset, confirmed suspension settings for each track and the street to take the guesswork out of dialing in suspensions most people know little about
  • Ready to go video recording, sound recording, and telemetry
  • Solution for dB level restrictions at certain tracks
Appreciate 4
YMS255.50
mcvaughan702.00
chief207.00
clee1982796.00
      12-30-2019, 02:08 AM   #10
YMS
Y Motorsport
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continental02 View Post
Some things to consider in addition to the comfort amenities would be:
  • Noisy street pads - should be easy to change pads quickly and have a solution that's silent on the street
  • Multi-use alignment or solution for swapping back and forth between alignments. Constantly changing alignments adds up in cost
  • Airjacks would be great for swapping between street and track wheels if desired or rotating wheels at the track
  • Preset, confirmed suspension settings for each track and the street to take the guesswork out of dialing in suspensions most people know little about
  • Ready to go video recording, sound recording, and telemetry
  • Solution for dB level restrictions at certain tracks
Thanks for your input. We will definitely keep those in mind!

1.We have actually found minimal squeal driving with PFC 13 (race pad) on the street however a lot also depends on rotor and calipers design.
2.There should be no reason to swap alignments constantly unless you are using alignment to tune the handling of the car.
3.Air jacks are awesome and they are an option!
4.The cars will come with a baseline setup and their own extensive manuals that actually tell how to setup the car in almost every handling scenario. We offer track side support so we can engineer the cars at the track with the customer driving.
5.Video and data are options. All depends on how much the customer is willing to spend as data can get very expensive depending on number of sensors and system.
6.Exhaust loudness can be decided by the exhaust configuration the customer chooses. We can also make detachable turndowns and mufflers.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 07:34 AM   #11
coryf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Would be a fun build. A friend and I have been working on how quick we can get the GTS at tracks in the southeast. The most recent comparison was vs a 991.2 GT3. The GTS was a few tenths quicker with some very mild changes. Tires are a big factor of course. The GT3 was on Dunlop MAX race and GTS on R888R. We also have lap time data from a mercedes AMG GT4 at the same track. The GT4 is still several seconds faster but I bet with the same tire the GTS wouldn't be too far behind. Fun topic for sure.
Appreciate 3
YMS255.50
clee1982796.00
      12-30-2019, 04:14 PM   #12
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

Just here to say I look forward to seeing what YMS can do with a base F82. I agree that there must be some room to cut weight from the chassis, especially if you're depending on the cage for some rigidity.

I think in your other thread you mentioned at times pulling power to go faster, and I agree completely on that. Having a few canned tunes in the 400-550whp range would be nice, flexibility for tight courses/autocross vs faster courses outside of sheer throttle manipulation.
Appreciate 2
YMS255.50
clee1982796.00
      01-04-2020, 06:01 PM   #13
bracer
Mr Bill
Rep
Drives: GLC63

Agreed this would be very interesting. Here would be my wish list.

* Weight - Anything that can reduce weight and still be streetable. Things like rear sun shades, dual AC and heater controls, etc... could all go obviously. 3200lbs would be great, but not sure feasible.
* Simplified setup - AKA easy to dial in -3 camber, and know it right and not effect toe, as -3 on the street isn't ideal.
* Brakes that just work and consumables that are cheap. (Essex is close here)
* I like the idea of the drexler differential or something similar.
* Real racing ABS would be awesome. Doesn't have to be Bosch M4, but something similar would be great.
* Adjustable front splitter and undertray - IND made one that was perfect, but it was one off. The GT4 splitter at 6K doesn't work. Splitters are a consumable.
Turbo Miata Racecar (sold)
1995, 2009, 2015 M3 (sold)

Last edited by bracer; 01-04-2020 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
YMS255.50
      01-04-2020, 08:28 PM   #14
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I think the proposition you are making is very compelling to some. Maybe not a huge market because many more M3/4 owners are more interested in street usage and aesthetics than mostly track use than, say, GT3 owners. But you will have a target market - especially if you can build a demo unit that proves your claims.

I'm not sure what "for the cost of an M4GTS" means, though. If you're talking about current price on the used market, that sounds like a helluva deal. If original msrp of $134k, well...less so.
Appreciate 1
FormulaMMM3662.50
      01-09-2020, 10:19 AM   #15
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

You may wish to cross-post/link to this thread in the Track sub-forum
Appreciate 1
YMS255.50
      01-17-2020, 07:43 PM   #16
HELROTM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1995 e36 M3

To clarify, at $135,000 base price, is this project based on the cost of a used M4 or a used M4 GTS as the donor car?
Appreciate 2
YMS255.50
      01-18-2020, 01:27 AM   #17
BadM4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 IND TANZANITE COMP M4

Subscribed I’ll have to stop by when you are setup and check it out I’m interested
      01-19-2020, 02:46 PM   #18
YMS
Y Motorsport
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I think the proposition you are making is very compelling to some. Maybe not a huge market because many more M3/4 owners are more interested in street usage and aesthetics than mostly track use than, say, GT3 owners. But you will have a target market - especially if you can build a demo unit that proves your claims.

I'm not sure what "for the cost of an M4GTS" means, though. If you're talking about current price on the used market, that sounds like a helluva deal. If original msrp of $134k, well...less so.
Thank you for your input. Yes, we are targeting a niche market. $134,000 is an extremely cheap starting price for any track car. A M4 GT4 costs over $200,000. On top of that, our car is still designed to go the street and will perform at a higher level than a GT4. Please follow our GTS build as it is the car that we doing most our testing on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELROTM3 View Post
To clarify, at $135,000 base price, is this project based on the cost of a used M4 or a used M4 GTS as the donor car?
The project would be based on a used M4. There is no point of using a new car or a M4 GTS as we are stripping away of replacing the majority of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadM4 View Post
Subscribed I’ll have to stop by when you are setup and check it out I’m interested
Feel free to stop by anytime!

Last edited by YMS; 01-19-2020 at 02:55 PM..
Appreciate 2
The_Werm212.00
clee1982796.00
      01-19-2020, 06:35 PM   #19
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

Just toying around with the math, I would say you're estimate is pretty spot on, assuming a decent used 3 year old M4 is about ~$45k, here's what I came up with if you want something close to an M4 GT4:

ohlins ttx - $10k
ap racing brakes - $10k
GT4 control arms/links/bearings - $7k
m4 gt4 rims - $2.5k
m4 gt4 wing - $2.5k
m4 gt4 front lip - $10k
m4 gt4 canards - $2k
m4 gt4 cooling ducts - $2k
m4 gt4 exhaust $4k
m4 gt4 hood - $6k
m4 gt4 differential -$5k
m4 gt4 bumper - $3k
cage - $10k
seats - $10k
miscellaneous - $6k

~$90k

so add $45k+90k = $135k.

Not sure how you guys are making any money

There's no way this car will be streetable (please stop kidding yourselves), how many owners do you see driving their GT3RS around town? (without a full cage) Sure if you need to get it to a track it's tolerable, but something hardcore that you're building probably belongs on a trailer.

Here's a used M4GT4 for sale: $142k Euro, about $158k USD
slightly cheaper than a used GT3RS (they run about $160k USD)

http://www.motorsport-sales.com/inde...oducts_id=8665
Appreciate 1
j2dad5389371.00
      01-19-2020, 07:00 PM   #20
YMS
Y Motorsport
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
Just toying around with the math, I would say you're estimate is pretty spot on, assuming a decent used 3 year old M4 is about ~$45k, here's what I came up with if you want something close to an M4 GT4:

ohlins ttx - $10k
ap racing brakes - $10k
GT4 control arms/links/bearings - $7k
m4 gt4 rims - $2.5k
m4 gt4 wing - $2.5k
m4 gt4 front lip - $10k
m4 gt4 canards - $2k
m4 gt4 cooling ducts - $2k
m4 gt4 exhaust $4k
m4 gt4 hood - $6k
m4 gt4 differential -$5k
m4 gt4 bumper - $3k
cage - $10k
seats - $10k
miscellaneous - $6k

~$90k

so add $45k+90k = $135k.

Not sure how you guys are making any money

There's no way this car will be streetable (please stop kidding yourselves), how many owners do you see driving their GT3RS around town? (without a full cage) Sure if you need to get it to a track it's tolerable, but something hardcore that you're building probably belongs on a trailer.

Here's a used M4GT4 for sale: $142k Euro, about $158k USD
slightly cheaper than a used GT3RS (they run about $160k USD)

http://www.motorsport-sales.com/inde...oducts_id=8665
Thanks for your input. The prices that you listed are much higher than what GT4 parts actually cost.

What is considered streetable is different for everyone. I used to daily drive a completely caged prerunner truck that could barely fit in a lane and I found it fine. I also know people who drive their cars around town with a full cage. If you were looking for something to be a on a trailer, why wouldn't you buy a formula car that can easily outperform 99.99% of cars with a roof and provide you with a better driving experience?
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24818.50
clee1982796.00
      01-20-2020, 05:29 PM   #21
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

would you guys consider an f80 platform without cage as a candidate for a track special?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 06:40 PM   #22
YMS
Y Motorsport
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
would you guys consider an f80 platform without cage as a candidate for a track special?
It would depend on what the owner of the car is looking for. I think building off the F80 could be great for someone that wants a car that would kick ass on track but still be usable for day to day tasks. I would assume the interior and comfort amenities would stay so you loose the weight reduction and safety of a roll cage on track, but all aspects of the car outside the cabin can still be improved immensely.
Appreciate 2
Closed Thread