BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

03-12-2019, 04:36 PM   #67
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
No wizardry involved here. Just sound and diligent brake management:
  • Properly bed the pads before going on track
  • Progressively warm up the brakes on the first lap before going hard on them
  • Run with DSC off
  • Avoid 100% brake force, go 9/10th on braking, there’s not much time to be gained out of braking anyhow
  • Proper cool down lap at the end of the session without touching the brakes
  • Avoid touching the brakes in the pit/paddocks (within safety reason) after getting off the track
  • Drive nose first in your parking spot (don’t back up)
I thought he was talking about OEM pads? Aint nobody going 9/10ths with the stock pads for more than a few laps

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 04:38 PM   #68
mindspin311
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I looked at the stock pads before going on track and they smeared all over the rotor.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 08:49 AM   #69
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRiderAaron View Post
I thought he was talking about OEM pads? Aint nobody going 9/10ths with the stock pads for more than a few laps
True story:

After having delaminated a front RSL29 Pagid pad early on on a track day and not having spares (RSL29 were on backorder), I had to swap back to stock pads in front. I was very careful with managing the brakes and was surprised to find my lap time were only a few tenths slower. I did burn through the front pads that were almost new in less than one track day though.

I am not saying that the stock pads are adequate for track use. Quite the opposite actually. If there is a single recommendation I have for anyone going to track their car, is to install proper track pads. However it is possible to survive a track day with the stock pads with a fair bit of diligent brake management.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 03-14-2019 at 06:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #70
petrolhead.
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
No wizardry involved here. Just sound and diligent brake management:
  • Properly bed the pads before going on track
  • Progressively warm up the brakes on the first lap before going hard on them
  • Run with DSC off
  • Avoid 100% brake force, go 9/10th on braking, there’s not much time to be gained out of braking anyhow
  • Proper cool down lap at the end of the session without touching the brakes
  • Avoid touching the brakes in the pit/paddocks (within safety reason) after getting off the track
  • Drive nose first in your parking spot (don’t back up)
May I ask - so you're running with DSC off? Why not MDM? And why not back up to the parking spot? Thanks!

And I'd like to add - this is a freaking fantastic forum!! Thanks to all for sharing their knowledge with others!

Last edited by petrolhead.; 03-13-2019 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 02:03 PM   #71
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
True story:

After having delaminates a front RSL29 Pagid pad early in a track day and not having spares (RSL29 were on backorder), I had to swap back to stock pads in front. I was very careful with managing the brakes and was surprised to find my lap time were only a few tenths slower. I did burn through the front pads that were almost new in less than one track day though.

I am not saying that the stock pads are adequate for track used. Quite the opposite actually. If there is a single recommendation I have for anyone going to track their car, is to install proper track pads. However it is possible to survive a track with the stock pads with a fair bit of diligent brake management.
100% agree, I was just giving you a hard time!

Appreciate 1
CanAutM321116.50
      03-13-2019, 02:25 PM   #72
Habber
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
I'm just curious what the replacement costs for brake parts are for a day at the track. Tires I'm aware of.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 08:11 PM   #73
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead. View Post
May I ask - so you're running with DSC off? Why not MDM? And why not back up to the parking spot? Thanks!

And I'd like to add - this is a freaking fantastic forum!! Thanks to all for sharing their knowledge with others!
Yes, DSC off. The main reason I run DSC off is to have full control over the car to truly enjoy thr virtues of the fantastic F8X chassis. Even in MDM, the system does frequent minute interventions that will not necessarily have the DSC light flashing in the instrument cluster, which interfere too much with the chassis balance. Those constant interventions also keep adding heat in the brake system and significantly limits the cooling periods. On the few occasions I have doodled with MDM on a dry track, I would start getting a softer brake pedal after a few laps. As soon as I would turn DSC off, the pedal would become firm again in less than a lap. So running MDM with stock pads will just put too much heat into them for them to cope.

An easy way to smear uneven pad deposit on the rotors is by pressing down soft hot brake pads on slow turning or stationary hot brake rotors. Once you've triggered an uneven deposit, it will just get worse every time you brake hard on hot brakes. The only way to get rid of that uneven deposit is with repetitive cold braking (a few weeks of normal street driving).

Count how many times you have to dab your hot brakes when you back-up into your parking spot after a session and you'll have your answer to why it's better to simply park nose first . Look at the paddocks, you'll see all the newbees backed-up and all the seasoned track rats parked nose first.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 03-14-2019 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 08:47 PM   #74
Jojipoji
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 m3/15 gtr

Not to be a debbie downer but you can’t be serious with the suggestion to a novice who destroyed his tires to drive on track with dsc completely off to save his brakes right? What about the rest of his car?

Quote:
Yes, DSC off. The main reason I run DSC off is to have full control over the car to truly enjoy thr virtues of the fantastic F8X chassis. Even in MDM, the system does frequent minute interventions that will not necessarily have the DSC light flashing in the instrument cluster, which interfere too much with the chassis balance. Those constant interventions also keep adding heat in the brake system and significantly limits the cooling periods. On the few occasions I have doodled with MDM on a dry track, I would start getting a softer brake pedal after a few laps. As soon as I would turn DSC off, the pedal would become firm again in less than a lap. So running MDM with stock pads will just put too much heat into them for them to cope.

An easy way to smear uneven pad deposit on the rotors is by pressing down soft hot brake pads on slow turning or stationary hot brake rotors. Once you've triggered an uneven deposit, it will just get worse every time you brake hard on hot brakes. The only way to get rid of that uneven deposit is with repetitive cold braking (a few weeks of normal street driving).

Count how many times you have to dab your hot brakes when you back-up into your parking spot after a session and you'll have your answer to why it's better to simply park nose first . Look at the paddocks, you'll see all the newbees backed-up and all the seasoned track rats parked nose first.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 09:02 PM   #75
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Park in gear if it's a manual trans, no parking brake.
Roll a couple of times to move the brake pads on the rotors.
I didn't read any post, but good advice.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 09:56 PM   #76
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojipoji View Post
Not to be a debbie downer but you can’t be serious with the suggestion to a novice who destroyed his tires to drive on track with dsc completely off to save his brakes right? What about the rest of his car?
I am not suggesting he does.

My first and foremost recommendation for track prep is a proper set of track pads, which will allow any newbe to track with DSC/MDM without issue. My comments were solely about what needs to be done to get the stock pads to work. The original person I responded to said he's "been doing it for years", so not a novice.

As for DSC off, I am of the school that believes it is better to go DSC off sooner than later. I've seen too many intermediate/advanced students get decently fast relying on driving aids and developed bad driving habits in the process; and when they finally decided to turn the aids off, it did not finish well for them and their car. DSC should defintely stay on during the first few times on track. I will actually refuse to ride with a student with DSC off that hasn't proven to me that he has basic car control skills and that he knows his way around the track. It is also my life that's on the line. But once he is able to run consistently and predictably, I am willing to accept that he turns the nannies off if he so wishes.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 03-19-2019 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 09:59 PM   #77
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
Park in gear if it's a manual trans, no parking brake.
Roll a couple of times to move the brake pads on the rotors.
I didn't read any post, but good advice.
There's no issues with using the parking brake after a track session with the F8X.

On the F8X, as on other M3 before it, the parking brake is handled by a seperate drum brake inside the rear disc hub. So applying the parking brake will not press the hot pads on the discs. I've used the parking brake after a track session on all my ///Ms since 2001 and have never had an issue.

Appreciate 1
fanatic11018.50
      03-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #78
Pic18
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Comp, Spec E46

Quote:
There's no issues with using the parking brake after a track session with the F8X.

On the F8X, as on other M3 before it, the parking brake is handled by a seperate drum brake inside the rear disc hub. So applying the parking brake will not press the hot pads on the discs. I've used the parking brake after a track session on all my ///Ms since 2001 and have never had an issue.
Interesting take on the parking brake situation on an M. Although it is a drum, doesn't a lot of the heat from the rotor and hub transfer to the drum? Good to hear you have never had an issue but I would still be hesitant to use it myself as I would be afraid the drum would seize.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 12:18 PM   #79
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pic18 View Post
Interesting take on the parking brake situation on an M. Although it is a drum, doesn't a lot of the heat from the rotor and hub transfer to the drum? Good to hear you have never had an issue but I would still be hesitant to use it myself as I would be afraid the drum would seize.
The main concern about applying the parking brake is not about seizing, it’s about making a pad imprint on the rotors, which is the perfect starting point for uneven pad deposit.

Yes, there is a fair bit of heat transfered to the drum, but it is not comparable to amount of heat the main discs and pads are seeing. Further, since the shoes of the parking brake are not used when on track, they are not hot and soft when you park like the main pads are. Further, if by some miracle you do put a shoe imprint on the drum, do you really care. I’ve never heard anyone compain about parking brake shudder .

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 03:48 PM   #80
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
The main concern about applying the parking brake is not about seizing...
I've seen it happen enough times to recommend OTHERWISE. I've seen someone come off the track from a hot session, park it with the parking brake pulled (didn't know at the time), walk away for 15 minutes, come back and the shoes were fused to the rotor hat. Car wouldn't move even in first gear. That was one of the more extreme cases, where we had to take the wheel and caliper off, then lower the car onto the rotor with almost all the weight of the rear corner to get the shoe to release from the drum.

Needles to say he needed a new rotor after that. That was by far the worst case, where the rotor was hot enough and transferred enough heat to the drum to physically fuse the shoe to it. This was a car with a one piece rotor, not the compound 2 piece that comes with Ms so that exacerbated the problem.

But I've seen a few where someone absentmindedly put the parking brake on after a hot session, and then the shoe gets "stuck" on the drum upon the first try to move the car. Some rocking back and forth and high RPM clutch dumps breaks it loose though.

Again, not the best practice to yank up on the parking brake after a hot session IMO. You never know especially with today's cars using one of the rear brakes for stability control purposes how hot the rotors are.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
Pic18303.50
      03-20-2019, 04:35 PM   #81
Pic18
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Comp, Spec E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Quote:
I've seen it happen enough times to recommend OTHERWISE. I've seen someone come off the track from a hot session, park it with the parking brake pulled (didn't know at the time), walk away for 15 minutes, come back and the shoes were fused to the rotor hat. Car wouldn't move even in first gear. That was one of the more extreme cases, where we had to take the wheel and caliper off, then lower the car onto the rotor with almost all the weight of the rear corner to get the shoe to release from the drum.

Needles to say he needed a new rotor after that. That was by far the worst case, where the rotor was hot enough and transferred enough heat to the drum to physically fuse the shoe to it. This was a car with a one piece rotor, not the compound 2 piece that comes with Ms so that exacerbated the problem.

But I've seen a few where someone absentmindedly put the parking brake on after a hot session, and then the shoe gets "stuck" on the drum upon the first try to move the car. Some rocking back and forth and high RPM clutch dumps breaks it loose though.

Again, not the best practice to yank up on the parking brake after a hot session IMO. You never know especially with today's cars using one of the rear brakes for stability control purposes how hot the rotors are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Quote:

Yeah that is what I have always been told, and although I have never witnessed it I have not doubt it is possible/has happened
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 11:28 AM   #82
kevinmkirn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 with Comp

Brake pads that work for both track and DD?

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to my original questions on this. I ended up installing camber plates and Ferodo DS1.11. Square set up Apex EC-7 with NT O1's is next and should be arriving in the next week or so. My current issue is that the Ferodo brake pads squeak horribly, so I'm going to need to change to something else that can serve me on both the track and my daily driving. I live in a condo, so I can't change out the brake pads myself, and I really would like to not have to change them out each time I do a track day (looks like I'll average about 6-8 track days per year). There's a tire place close by, so I can have the track wheels changed out easily and it's only a 20 minute drive to the track.
Has anyone had any luck with pads that are okay for both? What about Ferodo DS 2500?
Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 03:00 PM   #83
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmkirn View Post
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to my original questions on this. I ended up installing camber plates and Ferodo DS1.11. Square set up Apex EC-7 with NT O1's is next and should be arriving in the next week or so. My current issue is that the Ferodo brake pads squeak horribly, so I'm going to need to change to something else that can serve me on both the track and my daily driving. I live in a condo, so I can't change out the brake pads myself, and I really would like to not have to change them out each time I do a track day (looks like I'll average about 6-8 track days per year). There's a tire place close by, so I can have the track wheels changed out easily and it's only a 20 minute drive to the track.
Has anyone had any luck with pads that are okay for both? What about Ferodo DS 2500?
Thanks again.
How are you planning on swapping wheels then?

If you're doing that many events then you really should swap so you're not compromising one or the other. The DS2500 can probably get your thru a track event but theyll either wear fast or fade when pushed hard. No personal experience with them, but I remember reading they're good pads.

If you're selling the DS1.11's let me know though

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 06:46 PM   #84
CRRobert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 Avus Blue ZCP M3

I recently had the Ferodo DS2500 installed, no track time yet on them, had to cancel my event, but for my daily driving, they do squeal in certain scenarios for me, mostly very light brake pressure at the end of a stop. If they squeal, usually I add a little more pressure and it goes away but car comes to a more abrupt stop. I will have a little bit of some AutoCross school this weekend to see how they react. I am running PS4S for now. if and when go to NT01, was looking to swap out just for track days and go with the DS1.11's though.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 06:52 PM   #85
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Anyone here run Gloc? I saw they have pads for iron rotor f80.

I use r10 front and r8 rear on my spec Miata and they can take a pounding at the track (eg enduros) and I drive the car to and from the track with them

I’d try em on my f80 if I still have it
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 06:54 PM   #86
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Any updates kevinmkirn? How was your next track day with new wheels and pads?

This thread was a great read for me as a new M3 owner contemplating tracking a car for the first time ever.

Wonder if iRacing will help me develop real life skills?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 06:59 AM   #87
c0nrad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
Any updates kevinmkirn? How was your next track day with new wheels and pads?

This thread was a great read for me as a new M3 owner contemplating tracking a car for the first time ever.

Wonder if iRacing will help me develop real life skills?
honestly you will be fine stock for your first day. my MPSS and oem brake pads held up fine for me and i was pretty comfortably pushing my car in the later sessions.

i'm really not sure how OP chunked his tires in 60 degree track temps
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 08:03 AM   #88
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmartyPants View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmkirn View Post
Thanks for the great feedback everyone.
As mentioned earlier, I don't have any ability to do any of this work myself and I live in a condo so it will be tough to find a place to store a second set of tires. I only drive about 6,000 miles per year as my commute here in South Florida is quite short. Do I need to have the camber adjusted before each track day and then reset after the track day to its original setting or can I leave it in the track setting for my daily driving? Where can I get that kind of work done as I assume the BMW dealership wouldn't be the best place to do that. Also, I hadn't heard that PSS's weren't acceptable for novice track duty.
Thanks again.
When you change camber it also affects toe. The issue is the combination of added camber and excessive toe will eat tires during daily driving. Thus its not great to change the setting for track and change back later. I would get camber plates, have them installed and set to a tolerable setting for you. From my reading in here that's about -2.5 degrees for the f80 I think and you can run zero toe or slight toe in.

On the tire issue I'd buy a set of tires that can handle highway and track use. The only thing you're dealing with in FL is occasional rain, NBD. Think tires like RE-71R, AD-08, RE-11, etc.
If you want a great track tire that you can also daily drive - I've run the Bridgestone RE-71R's and they are one of the best dual purpose tires out there - would very highly recommend these for anyone who does not buy dedicated track wheels and tires
Appreciate 0