ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-18-2022, 04:58 PM   #1
sxychubles
Private
Rep
Drives: Sakhir 6MT F80

Angry F80 Steering Issue

I'm reaching the limit with this issue. I'd really like to keep the car but the dealer have been useless.

The car is a 2018 F80 6mt, comp, exec, 31k miles.

My problem is with the steering. It feels like its binding up and becomes stuck in its current position while turning. It happens with minor adjustments and after the wheel has been in one position for a while. For example after a long bend on the highway, the wheel refuses to go back to center or after driving straight for a while the wheel becomes slightly difficult to turn to change lanes or avoid potholes.

As far as i understand the steering wheel noticeably tightens up after a certain speed. This happens at all speeds from 10mph+. It' a very sharp binding feeling and only last a millisecond, feels like the steering assist is just getting tripped up. This is kind of a pain to describe because it sounds like im crazy. Unless you've felt it you wouldn't really believe me.

All assists are off and there is no vibration in the wheel. The F80 also doesn't have steering intervention so it can't be that. Been to six dealers, all of them don't feel my concern but then again they road test the car for like 3miles. This happens very randomly and some days its fine but others its a mess to the point where I don't feel comfortable driving the car. Another interesting tidbit to add. When its -10c and/or the car is cold, the steering is tight and there is no issue. As soon as the car gets to operating temp, thats when the issue can start occuring.

Any help is appreciated and if your suggestion points me in the right direction of ways to get the dealer to help, you get a six pack . I've contacted BMW and all they can do is get a technician out to a dealer

Last edited by sxychubles; 02-18-2022 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 05:58 PM   #2
mapster37
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

If milultiple dealers dont want to put forth any more effort i would contact bmw customer relations...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 06:04 PM   #3
sxychubles
Private
Rep

Is that just bmw corporate?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 04:55 PM   #4
mapster37
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Google bmw customer relations
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 05:01 PM   #5
TTM0TION
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto ZCP

Very curious to hear because I think my car does this too. I only just bought it and mine has 13k on it.

I just attributed it to this is the steering feel that everyone bitched about. I’m not sure there’s actually anything wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 10:56 AM   #6
sxychubles
Private
Rep

If it happened everytime I would be inclined to agree with you. Also the steering is just not confidence inspiring.
Went out driving yesterday and noticed a clicking noise coming from the front when rotating the wheel full lock at stand still. That gives something for bmw to start looking at.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 08:09 PM   #7
jasonjo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Comp

That clicking can often be caused by the pinch bolts if they haven't been replaced after work being done on the suspension (fitting lowering springs etc) - it is recommended to replace them and tighten them with the suspension under actual load
      02-20-2022, 08:44 PM   #8
sxychubles
Private
Rep

Interesting, didn't know that. As far as I know from bmw records, suspension has never been worked on.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 12:58 PM   #9
sxychubles
Private
Rep

View post on imgur.com

Noticed a noise when the car is stationary and turned off. When the steering wheel is wiggled, there is a clunking noise that comes from the front. The dealer originally said steering rack is bad but then came back that the noise is normal, anyone have any input?

Car is completely stock.

Last edited by sxychubles; 02-25-2022 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 02:17 AM   #10
d_moola
Private
Rep
Drives: m4

sounds like a steering rack issue to me. if not then check your sway bar links. what type of suspension do you have? oem?

Last edited by d_moola; 03-05-2022 at 02:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 11:17 AM   #11
sxychubles
Private
Rep

Yea, its all OEM. Problem is, dealer doesn't feel anything wrong. A BMW field tech is coming to drive the car in a few weeks. Lets see.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 08:22 AM   #12
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Heya.

That is def the rack. The f22 guys (and maybe the f30 as well?) have had similar issues.

The fix was tightening a specific nut on the rack, as well as replacing a plastic (i think) bushing. Some have got away with just tightening the rack.

Check out these threads. It may not be related, but I thought it may be helpful. If you put f30 or f22 steering clunk into a google search there are tons of threads related to this clunk.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1603926

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1762974

Good luck!

josh
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 07:10 PM   #13
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

The "master thread" for the steering rack clunk phenomenon for our chassis is here:
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1637057

But this problem by itself I don't believe has been linked to the binding issue you describe. I experienced this once very dramatically in a different context, when I was on track and one of the battery terminal cables somehow slipped off its post. A whole host of electronic gremlins appeared at once not surprisingly, but one of them was that kind of steering issue where the steering wheel would "bind" then immediately release mid-turn. I'm thinking this may be your EPS module/motor specifically. Unfortunately I think it doesn't matter as it is an integrated part, so you probably do need to just replace the rack. Did you say if you're under a warranty? If not, go to an indy place. If you need to use the dealer, they will very likely screw you over on cost of parts at a minimum. Insist that you will provide the OEM rack, buy it from FCPEuro. Or at least try to force them to price match it. It's not cheap ($3,326 from FCPEuro). Good luck
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50
      03-13-2022, 08:53 PM   #14
sxychubles
Private
Rep

Thanks guys. I've read through all these posts. Mentioned the gear to the dealer who said they won't touch it. Have been to all the dealers in my area and every single one of them says there is no binding and is basically chalking it up to me not being able to drive the car. I've spent the better part since may 2021 arguing with them over this and they claim that the car operates as it should. As soon as i get into the car, the binding starts under normal driving. I've gotten nowhere. Ultimately, the car is being sold and i'm probably upgrading to a G80. This f80 was my dream car but with all these dealer visits, it has become a nuisance.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 04:30 PM   #15
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxychubles View Post
Thanks guys. I've read through all these posts. Mentioned the gear to the dealer who said they won't touch it. Have been to all the dealers in my area and every single one of them says there is no binding and is basically chalking it up to me not being able to drive the car. I've spent the better part since may 2021 arguing with them over this and they claim that the car operates as it should. As soon as i get into the car, the binding starts under normal driving. I've gotten nowhere. Ultimately, the car is being sold and i'm probably upgrading to a G80. This f80 was my dream car but with all these dealer visits, it has become a nuisance.
Take it to a shop for bmw and present the steering rack fixes you now know of. Easy peasy. Dealerships are the worst.

Don't get a g80
      03-14-2022, 05:17 PM   #16
sxychubles
Private
Rep

From what I understand, bmw won't cover out work. What's the argument against the g80?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 05:18 PM   #17
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
From what I understand, bmw won't cover out work. What's the argument against the g80?
Ya you will pay out of pocket for this. Just have the shop resolve the issue and get a full alignment after so everything drives straight/true.

The argument against the G80 is simple, it (sadly) looks really bad. Most all of the body lines don't make sense, front/rear bumpers are no good, a step up in size on an already big sedan, a big step up in weight, fake hood vents, no m hood bulge, etc.
      03-16-2022, 08:28 PM   #18
sxychubles
Private
Rep

Yeah Theres No real way to say it's the rack without doing it. Its ridiculous that the car is CPO and isn't fixed by bmw. In my experience when electric shit starts acting up, start over. Atleast that was the case for VAG vehicles. After bouncing around from dealer to dealer for the past year it's let a really bad taste in my mouth. Kinda lost my patience with it.

As for the g80, the looks grew on me. When driving, i forgot about the grills and Vorstiener makes a decent grill. Plus, I can get the color I want and buy it brand new. I wish it had the hood bulge and the illuminated gear knob. The f80 is still my dream car but this experience ain't it. I'm not shelling out 4k+ for a rack that MAY fix it.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 11:44 PM   #19
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah Theres No real way to say it's the rack without doing it. Its ridiculous that the car is CPO and isn't fixed by bmw. In my experience when electric shit starts acting up, start over. Atleast that was the case for VAG vehicles. After bouncing around from dealer to dealer for the past year it's let a really bad taste in my mouth. Kinda lost my patience with it.

As for the g80, the looks grew on me. When driving, i forgot about the grills and Vorstiener makes a decent grill. Plus, I can get the color I want and buy it brand new. I wish it had the hood bulge and the illuminated gear knob. The f80 is still my dream car but this experience ain't it. I'm not shelling out 4k+ for a rack that MAY fix it.
You have the fix though, it's easy. It's not $4k, it's tightening a steering rack bolt thing a few clicks. G80 still is horrendous, that is factual. There must be another car you are interested in at the same price point. Lotus Emira? C8 Z06? M5?
      03-17-2022, 11:40 AM   #20
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Tightening the rack gear/nut is very easy to do yourself (refer to the thread I linked above) -- but honestly I doubt that will fix the binding issue unfortunately. But I guess worth a shot.

If you do it, it helps to have a low-profile flex-head ratchet and shortest socket you can (I think it's 17mm)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 11:42 AM   #21
sxychubles
Private
Rep

I hear ya. All the shops refuse to tighten it because it could damage the rack. 🤷

The M3 has been a dream are of mine for a long time and this wasn't the experience I wanted. With the g80 I can order how I want and I stay in the M family. Would be curious about the lotus but until my bronco gets here, it's gotta be able to handle daily duties. Not a Vette guy at all/domestics in general, atleast not for sports cars. M5 doesn't come in a stick and way out of my price range. I feel like I've really tried my hardest to keep the car but at some point it's just not worth it. It's for sale. 😉

With so many f80s for sale at the moment, I can see myself being back. The g80 loses a little personality and doesn't try to kill you on the regular unlike the f80. Definitely going to miss that.
Appreciate 0