Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

09-14-2016, 07:39 AM   #1
Skubalon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

VPC/VDC Work

A little background. I did ED in early July (7/8) and never received my car because they lost my plates at the Welt. I never moved an inch in the car. I learned later that month that I was part of the diff recall.

The diff was replaced at the VPC/VDC in NJ in late August. Somewhere during transit (either on the boat or on car hauler) damage occurred to the vehicle and the car now sits in Baltimore. They have repaired/replaced a damaged bumper. Additionally, and probably most concerning, during one of their test drives, they decided that the car wasn't shifting correctly. They have since completely replaced the DCT transmission!

Given all of this, they have missed delivery commitments multiple times and while they say I am supposed to get the car as early as this week, I will believe it when I see it.

So, my question is this - Is this much work on a car normal? How often does damage in transit occur? Replacing a transmission seems like a massive endeavor. Do these repairs show up on CARFAX or related service history? How concerned/upset should I be by all of these repairs? Has anyone had a similar experience?
      09-14-2016, 07:56 AM   #2
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
The misplaced plates was a blessing in disguise. Better to have not dealt with the DCT issues in Europe...

Unfortunately the problems you had while unfortunate can and do happen. Just stinks that your ED was bungled up and now add an extended wait before redelivery due to shipping issues, recall and mechanical problems

I'd ask BMW to pickup another payment (if leased/financed), if you paid cash, maybe have them throw in some ///M Performance bits (MPE?) for your trouble.... heck they could throw in an MPE either way

Cheers,
Appreciate 2
      09-14-2016, 08:25 AM   #3
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

None of the repairs performed at the VPC will show up on Carfax. In fact, they often don't even show up in the vehicle history at all. They do excellent work, but it's a bit of a black hole from an information standpoint.

At the end of the day, rest assured that the car will be perfect and that BMW will take care of you. The techs at the VPC are really an extension of the factory.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2016, 01:16 PM   #4
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Wow, replacing the whole DCT! I suppose it is better to have this done at VPC than the local service shop. But sucks!

I dropped off my car at Hamburg without a scratch, but only to find out VPC is replacing the bumper due to some damage. Now my car has been sitting there for 3 weeks, after a few changes to the delivery dates. I'm crossing my fingers for this date to hold.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 01:28 PM   #5
ejonsson90
Private First Class
Iceland
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBahn View Post
I'd ask BMW to pickup another payment (if leased/financed), if you paid cash, maybe have them throw in some ///M Performance bits (MPE?) for your trouble.... heck they could throw in an MPE either way

Cheers,
+2 to this, I would definitely be asking for some sort of compensation from BMW.

Can't hurt to ask, and it's the least they can do given the amount of trouble you've been through from the beginning...
2006 S4 25th Anniversary - #116/250
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 01:29 PM   #6
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Just to remove any doubts about whether it's the VDC (Vehicle Distribution Center) or VPC (Vehicle Preparation Center):
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-14-2016, 04:44 PM   #7
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Work done at VPC is in line with factory standards so you should have nothing to worry about. It will not show up on Carfax either.
      09-15-2016, 07:55 AM   #8
Skubalon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys. This offers some level of comfort. I think BMW is going to take of me, so I am not worried about that right now. I guess I was more interested to understand how often this type of stuff happens. I've got to think that replacing the entire transmission is a rarity, but couple that with a diff replace and damage in transit... as my CA said... maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket.
      09-15-2016, 04:08 PM   #9
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skubalon View Post
Thanks guys. This offers some level of comfort. I think BMW is going to take of me, so I am not worried about that right now. I guess I was more interested to understand how often this type of stuff happens.
The bumper damage/repair is not uncommon.
I did a VPC tour a few years back, and their level of "damage" assessment is super-anal. If there is a scratch or discoloration that can't be polished off, they strip and repaint the entire panel.

On a MINI, they would let it go. But on a BMW, they will always respray they panel to make sure it's perfect.
On a RR, they will replace the panel, and respray the entire side of the car, if not the entire car.

VPC is probably the best repair and painting facility in the US.
In some cases, they do better cosmetic work than the factory (no orange peel). The car will come out better than new.

Quote:
I've got to think that replacing the entire transmission is a rarity, but couple that with a diff replace and damage in transit... as my CA said... maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket.
Transmission replacement is super rare, but given the diff situation, it's possible the driveshaft got nicked as well. I doubt it was damaged during shipping.

All things considered, you are getting your new car with known to be good new diff and tranny.
It's all good, except for the extra wait.

a

Last edited by afadeev; 09-16-2016 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2016, 07:53 AM   #10
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
I wouldn't worry about it, understanding all you've been through, but at the end of the day you're still covered for 4/50.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 01:34 PM   #11
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:
Thanks guys. This offers some level of comfort. I think BMW is going to take of me, so I am not worried about that right now. I guess I was more interested to understand how often this type of stuff happens. I've got to think that replacing the entire transmission is a rarity, but couple that with a diff replace and damage in transit... as my CA said... maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket.
I picked up my car yesterday. Couldn't tell any color mismatch on the replaced bumper. Had they not shown me the repair cost sheet, I would have doubt the replacement was just made-up excuse for the delay at VPC.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 06:21 AM   #12
Skubalon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by backagain View Post
I picked up my car yesterday. Couldn't tell any color mismatch on the replaced bumper. Had they not shown me the repair cost sheet, I would have doubt the replacement was just made-up excuse for the delay at VPC.
Yeah, I definitely was not able to discern any paint mismatches. My front bumper looks as good as new. I picked up the car on Friday, and so far it has been great.