BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

View Poll Results: Do you have a front license plate?
Yes - Required by law to have a front plate, and I drilled it 61 9.38%
Yes - Required by law to have a front plate, but use a no-drill solution 111 17.08%
No - Required by law to have a front plate, but I opt not to at my own risk 406 62.46%
No - Not required to have a front plate 72 11.08%
Voters: 650. You may not vote on this poll

10-19-2017, 02:59 PM   #617
kchaturv
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 SSII/SO - ZCP-DCT

I did sto n sho and its pretty good, there newer version does not require any drilling..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 05:01 PM   #618
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

https://www.carbonio.com/BMW_M2_M3_M...m-bmw-m2-6.htm
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 10:23 PM   #619
97supratt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: porsche and mercedes

I dont run any plates, front or rear.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 09:11 PM   #620
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Required by law to have a front plate in IL but never having front plate
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 12:40 PM   #621
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

On my E39 and E90 I found I can use wood or plastic shims to wedge the front plate carrier securely into the slots on the bottom of the bumper. Good enough to get a fix-it ticket dismissed.
      01-22-2018, 05:06 PM   #622
wdskukm3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 and Model P3D

I live in IL and I use the US Mill Works tow hook plate bracket.
      01-22-2018, 05:13 PM   #623
kdavid257
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 SilverStone

No front plate on mine I'm located in New Jersey. I had my car for over a year and never had a problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 02:35 PM   #624
GlazierGlaze
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi RS6

I live in Illinois, more specifically, Chicago (License Plate Nazi City). I have not had a front plate on any of my cars in over 6 years. No issues.

Edit: Oh you poor unfortunate souls who drilled into your cars. SMH.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 07:23 PM   #625
Vetkin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MW/SO

Ran a tow hook mount for awhile but I hated how high it had to be to not block the sensors, so I removed it. It's been 6-7 months now without any problems, but I've had friends get pulled over for no front plate in my area so it's probably only a matter of time before I do. I REALLY want to move to a state where it's not required.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #626
ratedlemon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I live in Chicago as well, no front plate on my car. Usually people only get that ticket when parked on the street majority of the time anyways from what I seen.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 08:02 AM   #627
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Well, long story but here it goes......, I had a ticket on missing front license in late 2016. At insurance renewal time, I was slapped surcharge by Metlife close to $2500.
Turned out, all insurance companies now uses Nexus report for their clients to see for driving records, criminal records, etc. According to Nexus I had "driving with illegal license plate" (WTF, sounds like I switched a plate from one car to another ala car thieve)

I called DMV, and they said it was not a moving violation and kind of "fix it" ticket but nonetheless an infraction, DMV employee said she'll vouch the insurance agent if they just contact her. But Metlife has no agent (this is online only type of insurance) so no good there, I had to take it with Nexus to change their record ala credit report mistake thingy, and you how that'll go.

At the end I switch to State farm, cause their local agents will call local DMV to double check. I pay more than before the surcharge with Metlife of well, learn and live.

BTW, the ticket was $125, I saw the judge and she reduced it to $65. When I said I put the license plate on my car and asked her if she wanted to check and she smiled "I trust you and I bet it's a nice car"
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 08:24 AM   #628
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C7 Z06, 16' M4 6MT SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc32000 View Post
Not having a front plate in compliance with law is a bullet-proof reason to be pulled over. Equipment/safety violation gives police the right to stop and briefly detain you. This is, at best, inconvenient. But do you ever have a few drinks after work before driving home without your front plate? Ever have anything in the car (people, things, etc) you would rather not let the police see? Do you value your privacy and right to travel without being stopped and questioned by the government? If you answered yes to any of these, then I think the front plate is a pretty small compromise.

A bunch of manufacturers sell front plate holders that attach to front tow hook and don't require any holes to be drilled. Looks a little wonky to my eyes since the plate isn't centered on bumper, but it does prevent the need to drill.
Perfectly said. The point about having a few drinks and risking getting pulled over for a front plate cannot be said enough. Your car is worth the same with or without front plate.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 11:38 AM   #629
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv.nandak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc32000 View Post
Not having a front plate in compliance with law is a bullet-proof reason to be pulled over. Equipment/safety violation gives police the right to stop and briefly detain you. This is, at best, inconvenient. But do you ever have a few drinks after work before driving home without your front plate? Ever have anything in the car (people, things, etc) you would rather not let the police see? Do you value your privacy and right to travel without being stopped and questioned by the government? If you answered yes to any of these, then I think the front plate is a pretty small compromise.

A bunch of manufacturers sell front plate holders that attach to front tow hook and don't require any holes to be drilled. Looks a little wonky to my eyes since the plate isn't centered on bumper, but it does prevent the need to drill.
Perfectly said. The point about having a few drinks and risking getting pulled over for a front plate cannot be said enough. Your car is worth the same with or without front plate.
Not sure what you guys are saying here? There is no excuse for having a "few" drinks and driving. Off to jail with you if you do! Hopefully it doesn't take having a friend or family member killed to understand this.
Appreciate 1
MannyS357.00
      01-28-2018, 11:42 AM   #630
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C7 Z06, 16' M4 6MT SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Not sure what you guys are saying here? There is no excuse for having a "few" drinks and driving. Off to jail with you if you do! Hopefully it doesn't take having a friend or family member killed to understand this.
Th point is not to get away with drinking and driving. You may have 1-2 drinks , be under the limit and get pulled over for the licensee plate. Once you get pulled over, anything can happen. The officer may incorrectly conclude that you are drunk and throw you in the drunk tank. Maybe the officer had a bad day and decides to write you a bunch of tickets. Point is that it's an unnecessary risk you would want to avoid.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 04:42 PM   #631
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv.nandak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Th point is not to get away with drinking and driving. You may have 1-2 drinks , be under the limit and get pulled over for the licensee plate. Once you get pulled over, anything can happen. The officer may incorrectly conclude that you are drunk and throw you in the drunk tank. Maybe the officer had a bad day and decides to write you a bunch of tickets. Point is that it's an unnecessary risk you would want to avoid.
Or simply don't drink and drive. My comment spurned from "having a few drinks"......that's not 1-2.
Appreciate 0