Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

04-07-2019, 12:27 AM   #1
svr21
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 M4 ZCP Yas Marina Blue

No front plate in Vancouver

I have been running with no front plates for about two month now and had never been pulled over. I guess they rarely enforce it or don't enforce this law at all. I have the screw driver in the trunk and realized how easy it is too also take the rear plate off while I park. If I do take the rear plates there won't be much that parking enforcement can do. They don't have a plate to write the ticket to and it would be too much hassle for them to tow my car since it's rear wheel drive and my front wheels are always fully turned when parked. Waiting for someone to point out the flaws of this "brilliant" idea of mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 01:44 AM   #2
doubla_d
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by svr21 View Post
I have been running with no front plates for about two month now and had never been pulled over. I guess they rarely enforce it or don't enforce this law at all. I have the screw driver in the trunk and realized how easy it is too also take the rear plate off while I park. If I do take the rear plates there won't be much that parking enforcement can do. They don't have a plate to write the ticket to and it would be too much hassle for them to tow my car since it's rear wheel drive and my front wheels are always fully turned when parked. Waiting for someone to point out the flaws of this "brilliant" idea of mine.
It depends on your normal route to work/home. I’ve been lucky also for years but I’ve had close calls when I hit a road block or lately cellphone/ distracted driving checks. You will get a ticket and if your modded you will get a VI (Vancouver only / vpd). I put my plate back on for piece of mind.

No rear plate they probably just tow you. Pay for parking it’s cheaper
Appreciate 2
svr2132.00
      04-07-2019, 07:40 PM   #3
dio
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I did get pulled over once some years ago for not displaying the front plate, but as it was on the dash and I promised to install it properly, the cop let me go. The current focus is on speed and distracted driving enforcement. However, if you don't have your front plate on, cops may use it to "pile on" your ticket.

Removing the rear plate will not prevent towing, and getting all your information from the serial number in some instances is just a radio call away.

Some parkades using license plate recognition would see you anyway when you enter and exit, and it's not that complex to identify your car.
Appreciate 1
svr2132.00
      04-07-2019, 07:59 PM   #4
svr21
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 M4 ZCP Yas Marina Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
I did get pulled over once some years ago for not displaying the front plate, but as it was on the dash and I promised to install it properly, the cop let me go. The current focus is on speed and distracted driving enforcement. However, if you don't have your front plate on, cops may use it to "pile on" your ticket.

Removing the rear plate will not prevent towing, and getting all your information from the serial number in some instances is just a radio call away.

Some parkades using license plate recognition would see you anyway when you enter and exit, and it's not that complex to identify your car.
Those are really helpful infos, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 09:28 AM   #5
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

I have had no front plate for the last 3 years on my F80. I average 2 tickets per year. Im probably going to put the plate on.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #6
Fez110
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Happened many years back. Got tickets in consecutive days from the same officer in the same place. Decided from that point forward that it wasn't worth the hassle...
Appreciate 0