proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-09-2019, 11:50 AM   #45
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgfunk View Post
Just wanted to chime in with my experience as I've been running the B16 Damptronics for about 2 weeks now on BBS FI-R 265-285/35/19 (~600 miles, switched from a very conservative Eibach V1 spring setup). I daily my car and my commute is mixed freeway/local LA traffic with some patches of pretty harsh roads. The ride is definitely more firm but I don't find the coilovers to be unbearable/uncomfortable -- but I do understand where OP is coming from as comfort is a highly subjective measure.

However, I feel that the benefits in stability far outweigh any negatives of the added firmness. I took the car out to the canyons yesterday and can confirm the car feels "planted" and a lot more stable. Steering feel has vastly improved. My overall confidence in the car has increased substantially. I do find it harder to discern the differences between comfort/sport/sport+ now, whereas before I could definitely feel the differences on the stock dampers. I was a bit weary to install after reading OP's review, but I couldn't be any more happy now that I did. Mind that I am not discrediting OP's experience, rather highlighting the subjective nature of coilover reviews. If you're considering this, your best bet is to try to find someone with B16's or PSS10's and go for a ride. For all that I know, you could disagree with me.

Overall, this is hands down the best modification I've done to my car.

Thanks for your contribution

As previously mentioned, I'm going to try raising the rear to max height and give updated impressions. You make a great point though - what is suitable for one driver may not be for another. I'm also spoiled with my R8 with stock mag shocks, and my previous S4's passive suspension was the best combo of DD/sport out of any car I've ever driven. Absolutely love both cars' suspensions.

It's also great that I'm not the only one who thought the steering feel improved. Really makes it next level, or back to the good ol' days, depending on how you want to look at it.

If anyone in Chicago is interested in this suspension, and is on the fence regarding purchase - send me a PM and you can make up your own mind. I'd be happy to give a ride along to decide for yourself.
Appreciate 3
dpgfunk332.50
Elta10.50
      09-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #46
Elta
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

After a road trip through Europe during the summer with my two sons, (coming from a M2 LCI) my experience with my M3 had mixed feelings.
In some roads the car was fantastic but on none perfect roads, even in the autobahn, at higher speeds the car felt floaty and bouncy...it was not such a great and confident experience.

After reading everything I could find in this forum, many have experienced the same feeling.

I decided to go for it and ordered the B16 damptronic. The kit will arrive tomorrow and the install will be done as soon as possible.
I hope this is going to sort out what I experienced during my road-trip with the floating/bouncy rear and give me more stability and better handling.
🙏🏻
My car is a DD and I like a firm stable feeling...
      11-07-2019, 11:49 AM   #47
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elta View Post
After a road trip through Europe during the summer with my two sons, (coming from a M2 LCI) my experience with my M3 had mixed feelings.
In some roads the car was fantastic but on none perfect roads, even in the autobahn, at higher speeds the car felt floaty and bouncy...it was not such a great and confident experience.

After reading everything I could find in this forum, many have experienced the same feeling.

I decided to go for it and ordered the B16 damptronic. The kit will arrive tomorrow and the install will be done as soon as possible.
I hope this is going to sort out what I experienced during my road-trip with the floating/bouncy rear and give me more stability and better handling.
����
any updates?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 01:24 PM   #48
Elta
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR930 View Post
Quote:

����
any updates?
Quote:
Quote:

����
any updates?
Hi,

I'm very happy with the result.
Definitely the most important modification for this car, in mine opinion. It have changed the ride completely...and the steering feels more distinct.
I'm coming from a M2 LCI and one thing I missed when I changed to M3 was that go-cart feeling, which I now have. I think it has to do with the steering, big improvement.

The most important change for me is,that bouncy unstable feeling I had experienced before...is gone.
The car is more connected to the road and even at bad surfaces and higher speeds I feel that I get perfect feedback from the car, no more floating rear feeling, which results in more confident driving. Feels like I can push the car to a new level...
For me, the car should have been like that from the beginning.

It may not suit for everyone for DD, because the car becomes more firmer, not a lot, but you can definitely feel the difference.

I like a firm feeling so for me is perfect.
Even lend my car to my girlfriend, without her knowing about the change. She didn't notice anything except the steering when I asked her...
I have driven it most in Comfort and Sport and Comfort is definitely my favourite setting for DD.

I have only lowered the front to the same hight as the rear, the rear is not lowered at all.
Attached Images

Last edited by Elta; 11-07-2019 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
MAddict41.50
      11-07-2019, 02:31 PM   #49
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi,

Definitely the most important modification for this car, in mine opinion. It have changed the ride completely...and the steering feels more distinct.
I'm coming from a M2 LCI and one thing I missed when I changed to M3 was that go-cart feeling, which I now have. I think it has to do with the steering, big improvement.

The most important change for me is,that bouncy unstable feeling I had experienced before...is gone.
The car is more connected to the road and even at bad surfaces and higher speeds I feel that I get perfect feedback from the car, no more floating rear feeling, which results in more confident driving. Feels like I can push the car to a new level...

It may not suit for everyone for DD, because the car becomes more firmer, not a lot, but you can definitely feel the difference.

Even borrowed my car to my girlfriend, without her knowing about the change. She didn't notice anything except the steering when I asked her...
I have driven it most in Comfort and Sport and Comfort is definitely my favourite setting for DD.

I have only lowered the front to the same level as the rear, which I did not lowered at all.
So your rear is at max height?
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2019, 03:37 PM   #50
Elta
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

Even borrowed my car to my girlfriend, without her knowing about the change. She didn't notice anything except the steering when I asked her...

I have only lowered the front to the same level as the rear, which I did not lowered at all.
So your rear is at max height?
Yes
      11-07-2019, 04:24 PM   #51
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

I wish there was an ability to tune the damping system for the b16 (possibly the OEM system). I currently have my EDC settings to the CS tuning and my b16s feel good, but I would like a way to make comfort, softer, and sport plus, harder.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 01:07 AM   #52
Elta
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
I wish there was an ability to tune the damping system for the b16 (possibly the OEM system). I currently have my EDC settings to the CS tuning and my b16s feel good, but I would like a way to make comfort, softer, and sport plus, harder.
I plan to tune my system to the CS EDC tuning, but would like to have a reference before I do.
How big is the difference compared to stock b16?
Is it worth the upgrade?
      11-08-2019, 02:31 AM   #53
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
I plan to tune my system to the CS EDC tuning, but would like to have a reference before I do.
How big is the difference compared to stock b16?
Is it worth the upgrade?
Not sure as i has the cs Tuning already on my stock edc setup. I never felt the b16 dampers with the stock shock Tuning.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 10:03 AM   #54
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Any consensus yet for these on a street car?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 12:27 PM   #55
Elta
Sweden
Rep

As I said before, for my part it was either to sell the car or change coilovers and hope for the best ... I'm glad I made this modification
      11-10-2019, 02:29 PM   #56
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Hoping to get some more feedback from guys just running these on the street.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 06:30 PM   #57
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
As I said before, for my part it was either to sell the car or change coilovers and hope for the best ... I'm glad I made this modification
I went thru the same pains and process. I did switch to coil-over and STILL went with a different car.

I'm much happier now and have been for the last year.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #58
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I went thru the same pains and process. I did switch to coil-over and STILL went with a different car.

Yes, we know you hated your M3. You don't have too keep us reminding.
      11-11-2019, 04:06 PM   #59
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Quote:

Yes, we know you hated your M3. You don't have too keep us reminding.
LOL, what's the matter, tired of hearing that the F8x platform sucks in many ways?

I'll offer my opinion and experience anywhere I see fit to help the OP posters. If you don't like it, just skip my comments

There are many coming into this platform for the first time in the new & used market and any headaches I can help with from my experiences, I will do so.

I am a performance car enthusiast , not a brand loyalist.
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 04:21 PM   #60
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL, what's the matter, tired of hearing that the F8x platform sucks in many ways?

I'll offer my opinion and experience anywhere I see fit to help the OP posters. If you don't like it, just skip my comments

There are many coming into this platform for the first time in the new & used market and any headaches I can help with from my experiences, I will do so.

I am a performance car enthusiast , not a brand loyalist.
what was your experience with the B16's on this platform?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 04:37 PM   #61
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
If the car was sold a year ago, chances are there is none. The kit was finally made attainable in the spring of this year in the US.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 05:55 PM   #62
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
Quote:
If the car was sold a year ago, chances are there is none. The kit was finally made attainable in the spring of this year in the US.
My car had the Ohlin R/T coil-overs , not the Bilstein.

I said coil-overs in my original post, I didn't specify brand.
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #63
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320 Si, BMW M4 comp. BMW M

Intresting to read the Reviews, thanks for that guys. I'm switched between Öhlins R&T or this Bilstein kit. I have a F82 comp pack with H%R HAS kit now but as many others i don't like the damping on it really. I wonder how much stiffer the Bilstein or Öhlins kit will be than what my car is now. Maybe the Bilsteins will not be that much stiffer, just better.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2020, 02:35 PM   #64
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Any other users with these B16's and feedback?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 04:03 PM   #65
harjot.hans
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

B16 Damptronic is a excellent replacement to stock EDC system suspension.

Initially the ride was uncomfortable, but I'm a newb and now I realize that the coil-overs were just settling in.

After about 100mi, the car has 3 distinct modes. Efficient/Sport/Sport is my daily drive setting and its amazing. Car is planted, not too bouncy, and the shifts are smoother since the overall dynamics of the car are more engaged than ever.
Appreciate 2
BS_CS319.00
      01-06-2020, 08:48 PM   #66
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

how much negative camber are users getting in the front with this kit with about 25-30mm of lowering.
Appreciate 0