Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

11-07-2018, 02:03 AM   #1
IASM
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible CP

Wireless phone charging

Morning all,

New M4 owner after replacing my 435d, awesome machine and absolutely love it.

Only issues I seem to be having is the wireless phone charger which is in the storage point between seats.

Have tried charging iPhone X which has a rubber protection cover around it and phone doesn’t take a charge. The blue light comes on when slipping the phone in position.

Any ideas ?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 07:22 AM   #2
tastes jigga
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 750i xDrive

Garage List
The issue is likely the rubber protection cover. My iPhone X with the official Apple leather case charges without issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 08:28 AM   #3
IASM
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastes jigga View Post
The issue is likely the rubber protection cover. My iPhone X with the official Apple leather case charges without issue.
Cheers, took protective cover off and iphone X still doesn't recognise the charge, very strange as the blue charger light switches on.

WIll need to get it looked at.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 08:56 AM   #4
tastes jigga
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 750i xDrive

Garage List
Interesting. Should be easy to diagnose by going to the dealership and placing your phone in a showroom vehicle with wireless charging to see if the problem lies with the phone.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 08:56 AM   #5
maniz
Assistant TO the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Coupe

The light switches on because the charger is detecting a device in the cradle; it does so even with a cover that prevents charging. Basically, the car's blue light doesn't mean the phone the charging, just that it is in place. I don't have iPhones so I can't say how their wireless charging operates (may be it has to be enabled in settings) but our family's Samsungs charge fine.

And congrats on the car!

Der stärkste buchstabe der welt
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
omega2733
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 MGM

One thing to keep in mind, I've seen the same exact mechanism in other vehicles (M6) that we know for a fact did not have wireless charging. It seems that it may be used in the same vehicle and presence of the blue LED doesn't necessarily mean it's wireless charging.

In the M6 that didn't have wireless charging still had a blue LED light up anytime you put something in the cradle, the light lights up anytime the cradle position is pushed rearward. You can test that by pushing it back with your finger as well.
Appreciate 0