ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

11-14-2018, 11:32 PM   #1
kss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AY F80 ZCP

Centre console/nav display options

I’m still playing around with the options - I’m niew to I drive and while I love the navigation system compared to my Lexus, there are some options that aren’t that intuitive. I finally figured out how to increase the volume for telephone calls after finding it as a sub-menu under tone. For some reason you actually have to be on a call to set it up!! When I got my Lexus, they setup everything with me, but when I picked up my car last week the tech person flew through the settings, but we didn’t actually setup anything, so I’ve been playing around with things the past couple of days.

Anyways, one of the things I’m trying to figure out is if its possible to have the exterior temperature displayed with the time? I know in the main nav screen you can get a weather forecast, but is it possible to just have the exterior temperature always displayed with the time?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 04:45 PM   #2
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kss View Post
I’m still playing around with the options - I’m niew to I drive and while I love the navigation system compared to my Lexus, there are some options that aren’t that intuitive. I finally figured out how to increase the volume for telephone calls after finding it as a sub-menu under tone. For some reason you actually have to be on a call to set it up!! When I got my Lexus, they setup everything with me, but when I picked up my car last week the tech person flew through the settings, but we didn’t actually setup anything, so I’ve been playing around with things the past couple of days.

Anyways, one of the things I’m trying to figure out is if its possible to have the exterior temperature displayed with the time? I know in the main nav screen you can get a weather forecast, but is it possible to just have the exterior temperature always displayed with the time?
Yes, but you can only see this in the Instrument Display, not the iDrive Display, and it's a matter of deselecting other things from showing which results in the temperature being displayed.

From the iDrive main menu, select My Vehicle / iDrive Settings / Displays / Instrument Panel. Make sure that you have Digital Speed unchecked, because that display takes up the first two rows and prevents the temperature (and time) from being displayed.

Uncheck everything else except M Dynamic Driving System, and then add the ones you want one-by-one to see which other ones might cause the temperature to not be displayed. Push the button on the end of the turn indicator stalk until what you want is displayed without removing the temperature display.

I have M Dynamic Driving System, Range, and Date checked. This will allow the temperature to be displayed along with the time. I usually have Range displayed. Toggling the button switches between Range, Date, and [blank]. Every other option in that menu is already displayed on the iDrive screen or in the HUD and are redundant.

If you don't have HUD and you want to see Digital Speed, you won't be able to see the temperature.

Caveat: My M3 is a US model. Being in Canada, YMMV (like the 12-V port under the glove box!)

Appreciate 1
      11-15-2018, 05:39 PM   #3
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

What SD ///M4 said above is correct. The same config he mentioned is applicable to Canadian cars. Toggle the BC button on the left stalk to cycle thru the options. As you can see from the pics I have enabled everything except digital speedo. I use the HUD for that.

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 11:57 PM   #4
kss
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Yes, but you can only see this in the Instrument Display, not the iDrive Display, and it's a matter of deselecting other things from showing which results in the temperature being displayed.

From the iDrive main menu, select My Vehicle / iDrive Settings / Displays / Instrument Panel. Make sure that you have Digital Speed unchecked, because that display takes up the first two rows and prevents the temperature (and time) from being displayed.

Uncheck everything else except M Dynamic Driving System, and then add the ones you want one-by-one to see which other ones might cause the temperature to not be displayed. Push the button on the end of the turn indicator stalk until what you want is displayed without removing the temperature display.

I have M Dynamic Driving System, Range, and Date checked. This will allow the temperature to be displayed along with the time. I usually have Range displayed. Toggling the button switches between Range, Date, and [blank]. Every other option in that menu is already displayed on the iDrive screen or in the HUD and are redundant.

If you don't have HUD and you want to see Digital Speed, you won't be able to see the temperature.

Caveat: My M3 is a US model. Being in Canada, YMMV (like the 12-V port under the glove box!)
Thanks! I loved this site! Got it setup as per your directions!

My radio stations now show up in the HUD as well when I toggle between them. Do you know if it’s possible to only have certain stations in each band show up (i.e. can you also uncheck stations?)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 11:58 PM   #5
kss
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
What SD ///M4 said above is correct. The same config he mentioned is applicable to Canadian cars. Toggle the BC button on the left stalk to cycle thru the options. As you can see from the pics I have enabled everything except digital speedo. I use the HUD for that.

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
Thanks - picture were very helpful. I setup similar, except that I also included km remaining for fuel.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2018, 01:28 AM   #6
maniz
Assistant TO the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Coupe

Quote:
...there are some options that aren’t that intuitive. I finally figured out how to increase the volume for telephone calls after finding it as a sub-menu under tone.
You didn't try the volume knob during a call??? It is the most intuitive control there is. It adjusts the volume of all sounds, not just stereo, even while the stereo is playing, as long as you catch the overlay sound as it happens. The volume of the warning gongs for seat belts, etc. are also controlled with it.

Der stärkste buchstabe der welt
Appreciate 1
F82///M77.00
      11-16-2018, 06:21 AM   #7
kss
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniz View Post
You didn't try the volume knob during a call??? It is the most intuitive control there is. It adjusts the volume of all sounds, not just stereo, even while the stereo is playing, as long as you catch the overlay sound as it happens. The volume of the warning gongs for seat belts, etc. are also controlled with it.
Oh I did adjust during driving while taking a call. But im still getting used to where all the controls are, so it’s more fumbling for looking at the controls while trying to drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 08:00 AM   #8
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
My radio stations now show up in the HUD as well when I toggle between them. Do you know if it's possible to only have certain stations in each band show up (i.e. can you also uncheck stations?)
Add them to presets. Then when you select presets from the idrive you will only see that list in the hud when scrolling.

My preset has a mix of fm, am and sat radio stations.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 08:25 AM   #9
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
Add them to presets. Then when you select presets from the idrive you will only see that list in the hud when scrolling.

My preset has a mix of fm, am and sat radio stations.
That's the way to do it. You can store up to 40 pre-sets and that's more than I needed for the FM and SXM stations that I listen to.

btw OP, welcome to BMW and bimmerpost. It's really an incredible site for knowledgeable BMW enthusiasts. And believe me, you'll find many more real geniuses here than at any BMW Genius bar!
Appreciate 0