GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-06-2018, 07:59 PM   #45
jlhymb
Private
Rep
Drives: ymb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
Thoughts on the DCT vs. 6MT in the F8x platform? I've got a DCT now, but if the G80 comes with 6MT and M-AWD, I think I'll add one of those most likely. If it's 6MT RWD or ZF AWD exclusively, I'll have a hard decision to make and probably will not end up with another BMW. Planning to hold onto my F80 either way for another 5+ years.
It's tough to say - my 6mt is one with the software that keeps auto rev match on in all drive modes. I have to turn off traction control to disable it. While this isn't/wasn't a deal breaker for me, it certainly makes me feel like the 6mt could have been implemented much better. Even with traction control off, there is a difference between throttle sensitivity with clutch in and clutch out - which makes heel toe a bit more laborious and more unnatural than it needs to be. Because of this, I feel that the earlier build date 6mt's maybe a more satisfying drive.

I think the DCT is the better transmission for this particular car. I found S2 to be telepathic with my driving habits and even when the transmission was too grabby, it was predictable and easy to mitigate with M1 and M2 settings.
Appreciate 1
RowanBuds1707.00
      11-06-2018, 09:12 PM   #46
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
I honestly don't get this and I'm soooooooo tired of hearing people cry about this (no offense).

I have an E46 M3 coupe (very nice example) in my garage next to my F80Z6MT and the F80's steering is easily as good as the 46M's..... and that's saying something as the 46M has some of the best steering feel ever put into a road car.

Sure, the actual road "feel" is somewhat muted in the F80Z, but.... and this is a huge but.... it's far more precise and direct and has a MUCH better on-center feel. So what you give up in feel (not that much) you gain so much more in all of the other categories that I rate them as equal.

Remember that good steering is more than just feedback. It's feedback + weight + directness + ratio (too fast = shitty).
Look. It's a great car. I'm on my second so I'm voting w my wallet. But... have you driven an Evo or a 911. I had and have both. It just does not compare. That doesn't mean it's lesser of a car as a package. Each have their strengths and weaknesses. My issue is that it just doesn't tell you what the tires are doing.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 10:03 PM   #47
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4awd View Post
Look. It's a great car. I'm on my second so I'm voting w my wallet. But... have you driven an Evo or a 911. I had and have both. It just does not compare. That doesn't mean it's lesser of a car as a package. Each have their strengths and weaknesses. My issue is that it just doesn't tell you what the tires are doing.
I agree, as noted above, that some cars have better feel. But what I'm saying is that the overall steering package is fantastic. Does the Evo have more feedback? Sure, but is it as precise, direct, responsive, void of nasty kickback, properly weighted and have as good an on center feel? Doubt it. The Evo 7 I drove felt like a skateboard - skittish, unstable, bump steer like crazy.....a real pile of shit. But loads of steering feel so all good, right

Point is, what makes any one system of a car good is a blend of numerous characteristics and thus is multi dimensional. Steering feel is only one element of 'great' steering.

Finally, I can feel exactly what the front end is doing. I can feel it push when I'm too heavy on the throttle. I can place the car precisely where I want it on the road at any point through the turn. I know exactly when I can push harder and when I'm pushing too hard. I have not driven it off the road due to lack of feel and I drive this thing near the limit. Could the road feel be better? Sure, but there's enough to to drive the car super hard, effectively, safely and enjoyably. So what if other cars have more steering feel?

That said, good discussion. I can appreciate your point of view even though I may not quite agree or fully understand.

Last edited by EricSMG; 11-06-2018 at 10:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 10:09 PM   #48
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
I honestly don't get this and I'm soooooooo tired of hearing people cry about this (no offense).

I have an E46 M3 coupe (very nice example) in my garage next to my F80Z6MT and the F80's steering is easily as good as the 46M's..... and that's saying something as the 46M has some of the best steering feel ever put into a road car.

Sure, the actual road "feel" is somewhat muted in the F80Z, but.... and this is a huge but.... it's far more precise and direct and has a MUCH better on-center feel. So what you give up in feel (not that much) you gain so much more in all of the other categories that I rate them as equal.

Remember that good steering is more than just feedback. It's feedback + weight + directness + ratio (too fast = shitty).
We'll agree to disagree As much as i hate to agree with the auto journalists on the M4 because I really love the car for what it is but yeah.... no surprise oversteer w the Evo or 911. Happens when you want it to..predictably. Too many with the M4. To call the Evo 7 a pile of shit... really? To each is own but c'MON

Last edited by s4awd; 11-07-2018 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 07:58 AM   #49
hooligan317
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 - YMB ZCP DCT

As much of an instant gratification person as I typically am, with the details you shared re: not being able to get the color you want and the spec you want... I'd wait.

I look at this as one of those "good problem to have" situations. You drive an F80, you're considering a new F80, or the next-gen platform. So essentially no matter what happens you're winning haha - good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 01:59 PM   #50
Burble$4life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tanzanite Blue ZCP F80 M3

All good points hooligan317... I'm gonna stick it out and enjoy my current F80 and all the complements I get about my Tanzanite Blue . Hardly any on the road which makes it more special.
      11-16-2018, 06:16 PM   #51
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burble$4life View Post
I planned to keep my car for the long haul 10+ yrs., in retrospect what I should have done was wait for the comp package but who knew BMW was going to come out with it.

EVERYONE, except you?????????
      11-16-2018, 06:57 PM   #52
aajjcc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Next gen for sure!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 08:49 AM   #53
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant