Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-03-2018, 08:09 PM   #1
morgan302
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 2015

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Something running after the car is shut off

My 2015 M3 std was off in the garage for about 7 hours having only run for a few minutes moving it in an out of the garage. It had not been moved for several days before that. When I went out to the garage to turn off the shop lights I heard a sound that seemed like a fan motor but not like the radiator fan. When I opened the hood it shut off. When I closed the hood the sound did not start again. It lives in a climate controlled garage I go by it many times a day doing in and out of my shop in the garage. Moved it out side just in case. HELP. It has never done that before. The car is stock with no mods.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 09:28 AM   #2
Dr._Who
Banned
Rep
Drives: Tardis

Hey,

Was the key fob with you and/or in the vicinity when this occurred?

I don't think you need to worry. I've stayed in the car for quite a while, at times, after I've returned from
a ride and, with the car completely off (door having been opened and shut again), it's always randomly
done some sort of "Mr Roboto" automated cycle/process.

Cheers!

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 09:38 AM   #3
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr._Who View Post
Hey,

I don't think you need to worry. I've stayed in the car for quite a while, at times, after I've returned from
a ride and, with the car completely off (door having been opened and shut again), it's always randomly

Cheers!

truth. Car always be making weird ass nosies. As if it senses you are about to drive it
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 10:10 AM   #4
morgan302
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
truth. Car always be making weird ass nosies. As if it senses you are about to drive it
The key was not close to the car and I had not opened or closed any door or trunk in the 7 or sow hours. It has about 29,000 miles. I have other cars and a K1200GT that I use most of the time and I am in and out of the "shop" garage many times during the day and night walking past it.
'
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #5
morgan302
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr._Who View Post
Hey,

Cheers!

I know the shut down procedure the car goes through because the car is in very quiet part of the garage. Thanks for the thoughts but it is going to live outside under a car cover until it goes to the dealer for the current service that is due. Guess I have seen to many fires caused by cars in the garage (not BMW) of course most of those were Fords and a few Hundays
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 08:22 AM   #6
morgan302
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Just heard for a person at the dealership that there is a heater fan recall. They start on their own. Anyone heard of this?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #7
ljzimm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Volvo V70 R M66

Can't say if it's what you heard or not but there is a leak detection pump near the fuel tank that will intermittently pressurize the fuel system to make sure there are no leaks. Will make a similar noise and will do it whenever it feels like regardless of key proximity, last time driven, etc.
No explanation for why it stopped when the hood was opened other than pure chance if having another electrical input shut it off (won't run the test cycle while the car is active to my understanding).
Just a thought, could be totally normal
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 04:44 PM   #8
morgan302
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljzimm View Post
Can't say if it's what you heard or not but there is a leak detection pump near the fuel tank that will intermittently pressurize the fuel system to make sure there are no leaks. Will make a similar noise and will do it whenever it feels like regardless of key proximity, last time driven, etc.
No explanation for why it stopped when the hood was opened other than pure chance if having another electrical input shut it off (won't run the test cycle while the car is active to my understanding).
Just a thought, could be totally normal
Dealership is guessing that was what I heard but it is odd that I have never heard that before given the location of my car that I pass many times a day on the way to my shop and I am retired so most days are spent at home and in the shop working on projects. Thanks for your input!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 06:23 PM   #9
morgan302
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan302 View Post
Dealership is guessing that was what I heard but it is odd that I have never heard that before given the location of my car that I pass many times a day on the way to my shop and I am retired so most days are spent at home and in the shop working on projects. Thanks for your input!
Got my car back today with no codes and service performed. Have not decides what to do with the car it is sitting outside under an all weather cover.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 06:53 PM   #10
wsccsw13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

I’ve heard this in my land cruiser once and a 4Runner I had once. Freaked me out but almost all modern cars do it; was the fuel system testing itself and the tank. Timing and frequency vary.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2018, 07:27 AM   #11
ljzimm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Volvo V70 R M66

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan302 View Post
Do you usually pass by it at the same time as this exact circumstance though? I know you're concerned and I completely understand it but in my experience it will usually happen after having driven and shut the car off and then it having sat for quite a few hours, so it matches up with your original story. It also only runs for a few minutes so unless you catch it several hours after parking it at just the right time while it's actually running, you're more than likely never going to hear it again.
I hate to see you put your M in the corner of shame for something completely normal.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 07:53 AM   #12
afisherunc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 (Sold) @downf0rce

Is the iDrive timer set for the fan blower to turn on? Had this feature in my 135i and rarely used it, but you could set the fan to run at, for example, 5pm when you expected to get out to your car as part of helping cool it down. Haven't looked if the M3 has the feature, but maybe that was inadvertently set and your timing was just spot on.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 09:03 AM   #13
morgan302
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by afisherunc View Post
Is the iDrive timer set for the fan blower to turn on? Had this feature in my 135i and rarely used it, but you could set the fan to run at, for example, 5pm when you expected to get out to your car as part of helping cool it down. Haven't looked if the M3 has the feature, but maybe that was inadvertently set and your timing was just spot on.
No it is not in fact I have never used that feature. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 09:06 AM   #14
morgan302
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljzimm View Post
Do you usually pass by it at the same time as this exact circumstance though? I know you're concerned and I completely understand it but in my experience it will usually happen after having driven and shut the car off and then it having sat for quite a few hours, so it matches up with your original story. It also only runs for a few minutes so unless you catch it several hours after parking it at just the right time while it's actually running, you're more than likely never going to hear it again.
I hate to see you put your M in the corner of shame for something completely normal.
The car is in a garage attached to my shop and I pass by many times a day. My M3 is now pack in the garage and since the noise stoped when I opened the hood the hood is now open all the time. Love the car and could not look at it outside any more it made me sad. Houston I think I have a problem
Appreciate 0