Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

04-29-2019, 10:19 PM   #111
VeloF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82, 996 Turbo S, E46 & E36

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
If you're mainly interested in a commuter/comfort type of tire, then the Conti ECS' UTQG rating will undoubtedly win on paper. They do an excellent job going from point A to B, which matches the driver profile for a good majority of this platform. However, the verdict is still out on the S007a's longevity, as not many have reached the 20k mile mark with them yet.

But like many technical specifications written on paper, true performance evaluations can only be extrapolated based on real world testing. For instance, my front set of 275/35/19 Conti ECS tires showed signs of wear (scrubbing) at a higher rate than the rest of the tread after 10k miles...

So with that said, treadwear rating goes out the window when you're after maximum street/track performance without having to resort to R compound. In fact, I blame the Conti ECS' 340 treadwear rating for its inferior performance capabilities compared to the S007a.

For reference, the better gripping and more expensive Continental tire, ContiSportContact 5P, also have a treadwear rating of 240, which is low for a Max Performance Summer tire category. The PS4S have a 300 treadwear rating similar to the PSS, but everyone knows by now that longevity isn't the PS4S' number one attribute.
I’m not sure the ContiSportContact 5P being a better gripping (traction) tire than the Conti ECS. Moreover, I believe the ECS handles better than 5P.
      05-04-2019, 09:59 PM   #112
2legit
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

My 2 cents. Had the conti ECS for less than 6 months on OEM 19" wheels and was pretty disappointed. The sidewall was too soft for the car suspension and every lane change caused the sidewall to flex compared to OEM conti 5p. Breaking was worse than OEM 5p and wet performance was worse than OEM 5p. Was not impressed with the tire grip either. Due to the soft sidewalls the car did not feel planted taking high speed ramps/curves. The mechanic that changed my tires did mention to me that a most drivers don't notice this attribute and he had the same problem with the PS4s. I commute on average 2hrs daily on highways and twisty back roads to have a very good measure of the ECS. Only positive I found with the ECS tires was that they had decent grip in low temps. I got rid of the tire and went back to OEM 5p. I believe the PS4s has the same soft sidewall as the ECS. Looking to give the 007A a chance next or the new eagle F1 supersport.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 07:47 AM   #113
VeloF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2legit View Post
My 2 cents. Had the conti ECS for less than 6 months on OEM 19" wheels and was pretty disappointed. The sidewall was too soft for the car suspension and every lane change caused the sidewall to flex compared to OEM conti 5p. Breaking was worse than OEM 5p and wet performance was worse than OEM 5p. Was not impressed with the tire grip either. Due to the soft sidewalls the car did not feel planted taking high speed ramps/curves. The mechanic that changed my tires did mention to me that a most drivers don't notice this attribute and he had the same problem with the PS4s. I commute on average 2hrs daily on highways and twisty back roads to have a very good measure of the ECS. Only positive I found with the ECS tires was that they had decent grip in low temps. I got rid of the tire and went back to OEM 5p. I believe the PS4s has the same soft sidewall as the ECS. Looking to give the 007A a chance next or the new eagle F1 supersport.
Interesting, as over a year ago your initial review was different. Plus, the tires hadn’t broken in, so where not at their best performance for a few hundred more miles. You initial review:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2legit View Post
I got the continental extreme contact sport 255/275 over the mp4s due to this post. My previous tire was the conti 5p. Very happy with tire grip in a straight line and taking corners. Hard to break traction with new inspired confidence while driving. Just 200 miles in and will be happy if it maintains the same performance during the tire life. The tire has simply transformed the way I drive with my M3. Steering feel is slightly lighter which I prefer. Road noise has decreased slightly. Straight line aggressive acceleration performance on dry roads is very good. Breaking is the same as the conti 5p which is a good thing. The car can simply put the power down now. I have not yet tested lateral grip on wet roads as the tire is still broken in. Never driven the Michelins but I can't imagine it will provide a better tire grip than I have now with the contis. I have a suspicion that both tires are equal in performance and it comes down to the driver. The only down sides is that steering feel is no better or worse. I do not think it is the tires as the side wall feels as stiff as the conti 5p. Just think the F80 M3 has a bad electronic steering. I will recommend purchasing the conti extreme contact sports tires if you want a cheaper alternative to the mp4s with the same performance. Also I will recommend sticking with stock sizes to prevent tire roll during hard cornering. The tire performance is so good you don't need to go wider with the risk of decreased steering feel and increased tire roll on stock rims.
Now, you’ve a slightly different take. Perhaps you simply need the next level tire (extreme performance summer tire which is what you listed) regardless of the brand/model whether Conti ECS or ??? I’ve also found tire pressure makes a moderate difference in the overall performance. I’ve thousands of miles on my ECS, and, they’re still quite good for very spirited driving for this class of tire. This is not my DD car—only a fun, weekend car. Regardless, enjoy your M car and ride!
      05-05-2019, 11:43 PM   #114
2legit
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

yes. Initially the tires felt good. I ignored the soft sidewall thinking they needed be broken in or it was non OEM tire pressures. I made changes to tire pressures but the sidewall still felt soft. The biggest surprise to me was the when the tires did break in and I got more confident with them like OEM contis 5p, I kept getting wheel spin on wet or dry roads. Wet breaking caught me off guard a couple of times (almost crashed at least twice) at the same breaking distance I used to break trying to turn onto an exit ramp I used daily to get home. I never had the problem and I still have not had the problem with my current 5p. Conti 5 p traction still sucks but I realized it had more pros overall for my driving style than cons. I have decided to embrace wheel spin and traction loss in 1st and 2nd gear in the name of fun for now. What sold me on the M3 during my test drive was the stiff ride and the ECS took that away from me. It had to go. I considered the cup 2 but it rains a lot in the east coast so I decided to stay away. Last resort for me would be the MP4s made for the 2020 lexus rcf.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 12:37 PM   #115
Andrew30azs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

Hi guys
Listen I have 437 mm stock wheels and new front conti tires 255
. My rear ones are done and now I have to buy the new rear ones. Planing to buy size bigger 285. It not going to be a problem having front 255 and rear 285 ? Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 03:21 PM   #116
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiasz17azs View Post
Hi guys
Listen I have 437 mm stock wheels and new front conti tires 255
. My rear ones are done and now I have to buy the new rear ones. Planing to buy size bigger 285. It not going to be a problem having front 255 and rear 285 ? Thanks !
No problem at all. I have used this size combo with zero issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 03:43 PM   #117
chetman7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
This same size combo for thos specific tire?

I was going to get 285s ecs but they are not rated as an XL tire which BMW recommends per manual. Have an order for 285 p4s that are xl rated but they are back ordered which no date in sight
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 05:25 PM   #118
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
I'm not a huge fan of Continental Tires as I haven't had the best experience with their previous tires but I'm always open minded. I was looking at Continental ECS before I purchased Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and since I daily drive my M4, NVH was important to me and along with tread life and performance.

The ECS tires are rated the same for 30K miles and warranted for 15K miles. However Continental support isn't that great as they're always stickler when it comes to warranty claims. Ran into this issue on one of my previous cars. Also the price difference isn't much different. I recently purchased a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for only 1300 dollars out the door installed with Road Hazard Warranty from Americas Tire. I had a lot of discounts.

I cannot get the same discounts for ECS. I think the price difference is only ~120 between ECS and PS4s. Lower NVH was a deal breaker to me so I got the PS4s and so was the better manufacture support.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe984.00
      03-11-2020, 09:17 PM   #119
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetman7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
This same size combo for thos specific tire?

I was going to get 285s ecs but they are not rated as an XL tire which BMW recommends per manual. Have an order for 285 p4s that are xl rated but they are back ordered which no date in sight
Yes the continental ECS tires but I have the 513m wheels so mine take a 255/40/18 and 285/40/18
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 09:19 PM   #120
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Continental Tires as I haven't had the best experience with their previous tires but I'm always open minded. I was looking at Continental ECS before I purchased Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and since I daily drive my M4, NVH was important to me and along with tread life and performance.

The ECS tires are rated the same for 30K miles and warranted for 15K miles. However Continental support isn't that great as they're always stickler when it comes to warranty claims. Ran into this issue on one of my previous cars. Also the price difference isn't much different. I recently purchased a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for only 1300 dollars out the door installed with Road Hazard Warranty from Americas Tire. I had a lot of discounts.

I cannot get the same discounts for ECS. I think the price difference is only ~120 between ECS and PS4s. Lower NVH was a deal breaker to me so I got the PS4s and so was the better manufacture support.
I always buy from tire rack and have made a warranty claim on continental tires in the past with no issues. Tire rack took care of the prorated discount
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 10:54 AM   #121
Andrew30azs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

So
It will be not a problem to have size bigger on 437 ?
Asking because I also have spacers
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 10:32 AM   #122
VeloF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
This is a 3 year follow up report since I started this thread. My M4 is a weekend car. Spirited driving. I’ve about 16k mikes on a 2015 M4. I have MP HAS (factory recommended settings, any lower and the compression/rebound was too compromised IMO) and coded EDC for CS which is a clear upgrade IMO. 19” wheels 9.5 and 10.5” with 265/285 tires.

I still stand by what I said 3 years ago. I just did 3 hours spirited driving on isolated California foothills near Tahoe this past weekday. Temperatures where hot in the 80s or 90s. I started cold with about 27psi in front and 29 in rear. After tires warmed to around 105 +, these tires did great in corners, acceleration, braking, etc. My brakes started to fade before the tires frankly.

Bottom line, still a great choice. Again, as I initially said, I’ve been a Michelin only guy for decades on my various M cars, Porsche, and spousal units BMW wagons.

I’ll considering some RE-91R next. Maybe....

Hope all are weathering this pandemic reasonably well. ��
      08-03-2020, 07:40 PM   #123
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloF1 View Post
This is a 3 year follow up report since I started this thread. My M4 is a weekend car. Spirited driving. I’ve about 16k mikes on a 2015 M4. I have MP HAS (factory recommended settings, any lower and the compression/rebound was too compromised IMO) and coded EDC for CS which is a clear upgrade IMO. 19” wheels 9.5 and 10.5” with 265/285 tires.

I still stand by what I said 3 years ago. I just did 3 hours spirited driving on isolated California foothills near Tahoe this past weekday. Temperatures where hot in the 80s or 90s. I started cold with about 27psi in front and 29 in rear. After tires warmed to around 105 +, these tires did great in corners, acceleration, braking, etc. My brakes started to fade before the tires frankly.

Bottom line, still a great choice. Again, as I initially said, I’ve been a Michelin only guy for decades on my various M cars, Porsche, and spousal units BMW wagons.

I’ll considering some RE-91R next. Maybe....

Hope all are weathering this pandemic reasonably well. ��
Thanks for the update...

Based on this thread, and given the recent rebate available, I just got a set of these in 265/285 to replace my old MPSS when they fully go. Considering I have other dedicated setups for winter and track, these seem like a good value for summer street/wet driving.
Appreciate 1
VeloF1318.00
      08-08-2020, 09:33 AM   #124
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010

Are these just as comfortable as the DWS06 if all you need is a summer tire? Looking for a quite nice highway ride but no ice or snow here so don't need all season. I believe the review said they were only 6% more harsh but another review said it definitely did not ride as nice as the DWS06 all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 05:42 PM   #125
VeloF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoJohny33 View Post
Are these just as comfortable as the DWS06 if all you need is a summer tire? Looking for a quite nice highway ride but no ice or snow here so don't need all season. I believe the review said they were only 6% more harsh but another review said it definitely did not ride as nice as the DWS06 all seasons.
Yes. Comfortable tires w/ very good performance for category. I’ve never used the DWS06.
      08-09-2020, 08:35 AM   #126
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloF1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoJohny33 View Post
Yes. Comfortable tires w/ very good performance for category. I've never used the DWS06.
I ran DWS06 on my Audi SQ5 and they were good for all year driving a mini-SUV with a supercharged 3liter. I wouldn't try all season tires on an M car due to the extra power. 5P felt better in rain than the DWS, less hydroplaning. DWS only advantage is it handles snow well for an all-season (Blizzak is way better). I hope that helps a little.
      08-31-2020, 07:13 AM   #127
Nonopr01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

I am replacing my Conti 5p with Conti 5p again. No questions asked great tire. Plus great pricing too.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 08:21 PM   #128
spy963
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

I have Conti ECS 265/35/19 & 285/35/19 ready to install. I’m on 437M and Eibach springs.

What size of spacers should I buy for a flush/agressive stance?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 05:34 PM   #129
Jamongkad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 F87

Glad I got these tires! I bought 265/35/19 and 305/30/19 to fit my new RF-DSPEC wheels.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 06:12 PM   #130
Gotulukn
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible f83. M235i Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPiston View Post
Speaking purely of straight line performance, the Conti ECS is not able to keep things straight even from a 40-50 mph roll with about 580whp. My car has spun out just by going in a straight line in 3rd gear, and have nearly hugged the wall at Sonoma Raceway about four to five times.

It rained quite a bit in February and most of March in the Bay Area, and I had no traction issues with the S007a in heavy downpour. While true, the tire categories are not the same (Max Performance vs Extreme Performance), the S007a's price point is within the same range as the ECS, and often going for less.

It's hard for me to believe that the ECS is even remotely close to PS4S level, they were more like a tick below PSS, IMO. ECS definitely make for a great commuter tire, however.
I was about to purchase Conti ECS 285/35/19 for my rears. My m4 convertible is tuned and has about 520whp. I hope you're still around but my question is,

Do you think the Michelin PS4 could have done what you wanted? I don't track my car, but would like good straight line traction, and decent wet traction, as I live in Long Island, NY and we get rain more than needed. If anyone can chime in, that the Michelin PS4s are hands down way better than ECS for straight line drag racing then, I will purchase them right now!

sidenote:
(I much prefer their rounder sidewalls of the ECS and Pilot supersports than the PS4's square look)
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 09:54 AM   #131
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotulukn View Post
I was about to purchase Conti ECS 285/35/19 for my rears. My m4 convertible is tuned and has about 520whp. I hope you're still around but my question is,

Do you think the Michelin PS4 could have done what you wanted? I don't track my car, but would like good straight line traction, and decent wet traction, as I live in Long Island, NY and we get rain more than needed. If anyone can chime in, that the Michelin PS4s are hands down way better than ECS for straight line drag racing then, I will purchase them right now!

sidenote:
(I much prefer their rounder sidewalls of the ECS and Pilot supersports than the PS4's square look)
I'm now running PS4S 265/35/19 F | 325/30/19 R, and yes, I absolutely believe they're the best overall street tires money can buy.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 10:22 AM   #132
Gotulukn
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible f83. M235i Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPiston View Post
I'm now running PS4S 265/35/19 F | 325/30/19 R, and yes, I absolutely believe they're the best overall street tires money can buy.
Sold!! Lol jk but just ordered 285/35 PS4s last night for the stock 19s. 325 width...Jesus. how wide are your wheels? Let's see your car!
Appreciate 0