Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-28-2020, 07:51 AM   #23
Isj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I'll add the nice thing about BM3 is you can sell the license one time, I believe you cannot do this with MHD.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 09:58 AM   #24
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistm4 View Post
Just get ahold of 6 logs three from each tuner and compare the numbers. It's not rocket science. The MHD maps were created by a euro company called pure boost. Bm3 stage 2 is stronger than MHD stage 2 by maybe a degree. However, MHD 2+ is stronger than BM3 2H or 2+ by about what I pointed out above. 2-3 degrees and a pound or so of boost. Which is not something you'd really feel in the car.
this is my issue. bm3 stage 2H is for pure turbos (or any hybrid but it was developed on Pures) so the best stock turbo map they have is Stage 2..... MHD best stock turbo map is 2+... so are you saying the 2+ map is definitely better?

Old: F32 435d M Sport - Mods : HR Sport Springs, 20" Veemann V-FS23 in Gun Metal, M Performance Body Kit, Pedal Covers, Eurspec CF Mirror Caps, More-BHP remap 364 BHP 741 NM, M4 Under Chassis Brace, 15mm Rear ARB, 8.8" Screen Retrofit and LCI Stereo facia Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 10:10 AM   #25
RedBaronG80
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee View Post
this is my issue. bm3 stage 2H is for pure turbos (or any hybrid but it was developed on Pures) so the best stock turbo map they have is Stage 2..... MHD best stock turbo map is 2+... so are you saying the 2+ map is definitely better?
You live in Norfolk? Im in VA Beach, Well currently on the Ship but due to come home soon. anyother F8X around us? I know Martin thats about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 10:19 AM   #26
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yas///M3 View Post
You live in Norfolk? Im in VA Beach, Well currently on the Ship but due to come home soon. anyother F8X around us? I know Martin thats about it.
im in norfolk yes... but my norfolk and your norfolk are about 4000+ miles apart im in the UK

Old: F32 435d M Sport - Mods : HR Sport Springs, 20" Veemann V-FS23 in Gun Metal, M Performance Body Kit, Pedal Covers, Eurspec CF Mirror Caps, More-BHP remap 364 BHP 741 NM, M4 Under Chassis Brace, 15mm Rear ARB, 8.8" Screen Retrofit and LCI Stereo facia Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 10:26 AM   #27
RedBaronG80
Private
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee View Post
im in norfolk yes... but my norfolk and your norfolk are about 4000+ miles apart im in the UK
Lol, you live in the real Norfolk lol
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 11:00 AM   #28
blockdoc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I would say that if you are going to spend the money on upgraded turbos, you'd be crazy not to get a custom tune for an additional 5-600 dollars. Each car is just different enough that a one size fits all approach isn't the best option. So "which stock tune is "better" is kind of a moot point if you go that route.
Appreciate 1
dcpatters250.00
      06-28-2020, 11:25 AM   #29
RedBaronG80
Private
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockdoc View Post
I would say that if you are going to spend the money on upgraded turbos, you'd be crazy not to get a custom tune for an additional 5-600 dollars. Each car is just different enough that a one size fits all approach isn't the best option. So "which stock tune is "better" is kind of a moot point if you go that route.
ive done the whole OTS toons on my 335i and hated it. with the abundance of N54 cars in my area if you had a OTS toon you were the same as everyone else. This is what made me do a 16,000 dollar engine build and nasty ass xona rotor. ill keep the M3 stock turbo for a long while but end of the day I will be doing a custom tune. BTW you guys see Ecutek release today?!?!?!?!? is that gonna make MHD/BootMod3 close shop?
Appreciate 1
blockdoc373.00
      06-28-2020, 12:25 PM   #30
MR_X
Old guy
Rep
Drives: tricycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isj View Post
I'll add the nice thing about BM3 is you can sell the license one time, I believe you cannot do this with MHD.
This is true
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 12:28 PM   #31
MR_X
Old guy
Rep

Quote:
You being VaBeach, there is a local tuner that does MHD. Forgot the name but there aren't many. I'll ask my son since he tuned his 335i with MHD when I was stationed in Oceana.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 03:09 PM   #32
RedBaronG80
Private
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_X View Post
You being VaBeach, there is a local tuner that does MHD. Forgot the name but there aren't many. I'll ask my son since he tuned his 335i with MHD when I was stationed in Oceana.
The Local Tuner you are refering to is prob Jon Las good guy, but I’m not sure on his tuning knowledge.
Or it might be Jake from Motiv Motorsport. By chance what’s your sons name? Id like to think I knew every 335i owner in VA Norfolk area. They all knew TheGhost, that’s for sure 
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 05:49 PM   #33
Bmwlmr99
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

87,000miles vf engineering stage 2 , full exhaust mpe muffler, charge pipes , CSF intercooler and carbon intake...no check engine light or any issues....tune since 26,000....pulls like a raped ape [IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 08:46 PM   #34
MR_X
Old guy
Rep

Quote:
The Local Tuner you are refering to is prob Jon Las good guy, but I’m not sure on his tuning knowledge.
Or it might be Jake from Motiv Motorsport. By chance what’s your sons name? Id like to think I knew every 335i owner in VA Norfolk area. They all knew TheGhost, that’s for sure 
Oh I have seen you before, you tried to race me in my S4 or S3. Motiv sounds familiar. I know the guy drives a black 135i.

He had it there for a short time (2 weeks) before he went in the Navy and we moved to Tx in January.

Last edited by MR_X; 06-28-2020 at 09:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 02:07 PM   #35
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Reviving this thread lol. Thinking about switching from BM3 to MHD. Not super happy with my BM3 stage 2 tune. Doesn't seem to make the power others are. Car made 464rwhp and 548rwtq. Car should be making more from what I've seen. Any thoughts?

Mods:

SSR DP's
Eventuri Intakes
Eventuri CP's
VRSF J-Pipe
NGKs
BM3 Stage 2
Attached Images

09-23-2021, 08:38 PM   #36
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graves View Post
Reviving this thread lol. Thinking about switching from BM3 to MHD. Not super happy with my BM3 stage 2 tune. Doesn't seem to make the power others are. Car made 464rwhp and 548rwtq. Car should be making more from what I've seen. Any thoughts?

Mods:

SSR DP's
Eventuri Intakes
Eventuri CP's
VRSF J-Pipe
NGKs
BM3 Stage 2
Check the log and let support@protuningfreaks.com know
They're very helpful and can tell you if there's something off in the logs.
Especially the dyno one, if you don't log then how are you suppose to know?

Dyno's is just a measure of power (delta) every car makes different numbers and there's also different types of dynos. Don't ever compare your car to anothers person in different part of the world.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 01:15 AM   #37
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
Quote:

Mods:

SSR DP's
Eventuri Intakes
Eventuri CP's
VRSF J-Pipe
NGKs
BM3 Stage 2

Dyno's is just a measure of power (delta) every car makes different numbers and there's also different types of dynos. Don't ever compare your car to anothers person in different part of the world.
I know how dyno's work. I also understand every car is different, but it does not make what's advertised. Plus the time has little hick ups in it drivability wise. It's all good though. I'm just bitching to bitch. But I here MHD is smoother. I can say for a fact, the GTS trans flash on bootmod3 did not correct the awful 2-1 downshift. Rode in an MHD car and the trans is hella smooth.
      09-24-2021, 09:23 PM   #38
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:

Mods:

SSR DP's
Eventuri Intakes
Eventuri CP's
VRSF J-Pipe
NGKs
BM3 Stage 2
You’re not using a Dynojet dyno to be able to compare to some online results people post so best to not hold much water to your results. You also have no baseline dyno numbers so no one knows how this dyno reads and no datalogs to make any informed decisions. There are tons of dynos posted out there. If you want the most power you should get a custom tune. Only hardware mod you got that makes any power if at all are the downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 01:41 AM   #39
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82

Im actually in the process of deciding what tune to get too. Hope someone can chime in why they like mhd over bm3
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 09:32 AM   #40
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzhatning View Post
Im actually in the process of deciding what tune to get too. Hope someone can chime in why they like mhd over bm3
I like the fact that PTF are the software engineers and the tuners of bm3. All the work is done in-house by the same team. This is great when it comes to support as you are working with the tuners directly.

They also do not take any commission from custom tuners selling maps, which means PTF has no interest in offering an inferior map in order for customer tuners to make them better and sell them for more money

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 06:48 PM   #41
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
Quote:

Mods:

SSR DP's
Eventuri Intakes
Eventuri CP's
VRSF J-Pipe
NGKs
BM3 Stage 2
You're not using a Dynojet dyno to be able to compare to some online results people post so best to not hold much water to your results. You also have no baseline dyno numbers so no one knows how this dyno reads and no datalogs to make any informed decisions. There are tons of dynos posted out there. If you want the most power you should get a custom tune. Only hardware mod you got that makes any power if at all are the downpipes.
DynoJwt isn't the god of dyno's fam. The dyno I used is pretty spot on.
      09-26-2021, 11:31 PM   #42
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mods:

SSR DP's
Eventuri Intakes
Eventuri CP's
VRSF J-Pipe
NGKs
BM3 Stage 2

I know how dyno's work. I also understand every car is different, but it does not make what's advertised. Plus the time has little hick ups in it drivability wise. It's all good though. I'm just bitching to bitch. But I here MHD is smoother. I can say for a fact, the GTS trans flash on bootmod3 did not correct the awful 2-1 downshift. Rode in an MHD car and the trans is hella smooth.
You've got me considering It now as well… I thought BM3 was a no brainer to replace my atrocious open flash tablet
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 12:47 AM   #43
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everkidd View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mods:

SSR DP's
Eventuri Intakes
Eventuri CP's
VRSF J-Pipe
NGKs
BM3 Stage 2

You've got me considering It now as well… I thought BM3 was a no brainer to replace my atrocious open flash tablet
It's all subjective man. I'm just not impressed with the drive ability and the trans flash. Don't get me wrong, car drives good, just little things I feel throughout that I would assume BM3 would have ironed out. Trans flash certainly gives it more clamping force, but that 2-1 shift is still choppy and sometimes it's not. Idk. MHD car I rode in just felt better.
      09-28-2021, 06:44 AM   #44
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
DynoJwt isn't the god of dyno's fam. The dyno I used is pretty spot on.
Of course its not but if you’ll compare online that’s what people use. You can’t compare X dyno to Y dyno results and the worst part of it all is you have no baseline numbers so you can see what your gains are.

For the transmission flash, here is a newsflash no pun intended, they all use the OEM flash including THOR. The only one with customization is XHP. Whatever you feel may be a difference in the tranny flash is a difference in factory OEM programming.
Appreciate 0