Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-22-2019, 12:47 PM   #1
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

bootmod3 - Direct USB connection via OBD Hardware agent - option for iOS/Android

Wanted to share a connectivity update with the forum members that over half the people in the poll on Facebook weren't aware of, see picture attached.

Name:  USB tethering direct connect - small.png
Views: 7255
Size:  63.4 KB

For those of you with the OBD Agent hardware device there's an option to connect using a USB cable to your iOS and Android phone/tablet for a direct cable connection. This doesn't require WiFi setup of any sort on your phone/tablet and is probably one of the easiest setups when ti comes to using bm3 as there's no WiFi setup to be done and there are is no need to worry about a firewall on the laptop.

OPTIONAL power source hookup:
To take it a step further, device can be installed on a piece of velcro in the driver's footwell area on the top plastic, run a short flat ENET cable from the OBD port over to the device's ethernet port and power it using power from the back of the OBD port (pin16 is 12v power, pin4 is ground). You can use this 12 to 5v converter: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1385 and connect OBD power/ground pins to the device pins 2 and 3 (you need to open the case). This provides the most current to the device and runs it at its optimal performance as well.

Name:  obd pins.jpg
Views: 10462
Size:  6.6 KB

Once the device is connected you can connect your iOS or Android phone/tablet running the bm3 app to any of the 4 USB ports on the device for a direct wire connection, or, use the WiFi that's on it.

Appreciate 2
      10-22-2019, 05:56 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2019, 10:55 PM   #3
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M3 ZCP / '20 X3 M40i

I am still a little confused about what’s needed. Can you please clarify the questions below:
1) if one has the Wi-Fi agent and an iOS device, can the communication connection be made using a USB cord from lightning port (on the iPhone) to one of the 4 USB plugs on the WiFi agent. This means there is no need to create a WiFi connection and app will communicate over the cable?
If true, this is useful because Sprint blocks me from making hotspots on my phone without paying them more money.
2) WiFI agent will still need to be powered by being plugged into a USB spot. The center console USB should be sufficient and reliable source of power?
3) are there cable options that can connect directly from ODB port to lightning or USB-C, removing a need for the WiFi agent?
4) I don’t own a laptop right now. Can I have full bootmod3 functionality over my iOS device?

5) unrelated question. Will you offer coding of other computers/modules (steering, MDM, diff) like Thor does for an all-in-one solution? Would it be possible to get EDC coding?

My goal is to be able to quickly code when needed with my phone, but I don’t need the phone always plugged in.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 04:23 AM   #4
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keca10 View Post
I am still a little confused about what’s needed. Can you please clarify the questions below:
1) if one has the Wi-Fi agent and an iOS device, can the communication connection be made using a USB cord from lightning port (on the iPhone) to one of the 4 USB plugs on the WiFi agent. This means there is no need to create a WiFi connection and app will communicate over the cable?
[Correct. This has been an option since very long, just that people are unaware of this. You then do not need a WiFi hotspot. You still need to enable HotSpot in your iOS device, but the BM3 agent device will use the USB connection]

If true, this is useful because Sprint blocks me from making hotspots on my phone without paying them more money.

2) WiFI agent will still need to be powered by being plugged into a USB spot. The center console USB should be sufficient and reliable source of power?
[Correct. The BM3 agent device still needs power. You may power it from a USB port in your car or use the option detailed in the 2nd part of the original post to draw power direct from the OBD port. This is an option for people who wish to keep their BM3 agent device nicely tucked and hidden away and constantly connected. This scheme allows one less cable; as you would power the BM3 agent device from the OBD port itself]

3) are there cable options that can connect directly from ODB port to lightning or USB-C, removing a need for the WiFi agent?
[YES and NO. There are USB-C to Ethernet cables available; so you could have the latest iPads connected to OBD port directly and they would also get a network connection. The real issue is that the the BM3 app is not designed as such (as of now). The BM3 app would need to act as an agent as ell as the client. PTF seem to be working on this..., so when it launches; yes, a iOS device could be used direct with the OBD port; eliminating the need of a BM3 agent device]

4) I don’t own a laptop right now. Can I have full bootmod3 functionality over my iOS device?
[NO. As mentioned above, not at the moment. Until PTF launch the BM3 app that has agent functionality built-in... For now, you need either a laptop or a BM3 agent device]

5) unrelated question. Will you offer coding of other computers/modules (steering, MDM, diff) like Thor does for an all-in-one solution? Would it be possible to get EDC coding?
[The possibility exits, but I guess PTF proTUNING Freaks will need to answer this for their planned roadmap....]

My goal is to be able to quickly code when needed with my phone, but I don’t need the phone always plugged in.

Thanks
Inline answers...
      10-29-2019, 07:20 AM   #5
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Are you sure you still need to make a WiFi hotspot if you have a wired connection?

I do have an iPad Pro with USB C as an option as well
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 08:01 AM   #6
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keca10 View Post
Are you sure you still need to make a WiFi hotspot if you have a wired connection?

I do have an iPad Pro with USB C as an option as well
YES. You will need to enable HotSpot (not a WiFi hotspot specifically) in your iOS settings, else the external devices will not detect the iOS as a USB device. All 3 communication channels open up after you enable hotspot - WiFi, Bluetooth and the Wired USB.

See images attached to what I mean...

Name:  IMG_0163.PNG
Views: 6879
Size:  636.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0164.PNG
Views: 6955
Size:  1,012.6 KB

The iPad Pro will come in handy once BM3 release their updated app with the agent built-in. Until then.... a laptop or a BM3 agent device.
      10-29-2019, 11:57 AM   #7
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I am an Apple user, so this might still be the best option.

Main issue for me is that Sprint disabled my use of hotspots. I am on some old plan of theirs. But I could call them to complain to enable that.

The rest is simple but it’s described in a complicated way. ProTuning should hire a marketer to clean up messaging and product offerings / descriptions to be easier to use and understand. It looks like their messaging and support is written by engineers that developed the solution (nothing wrong with that when talking to other engineers or developers). If I get a little confused then others might too - which would make them hesitate before a purchase. It should feel plug and play with no chance that I can F it up. There isn’t even enough YouTube videos explaining how easy it is to use (I found two videos). Luckily their support and responsiveness is a huge strength and that goes a long way.

This seems like such an amazing product with additional (even larger) market growth opportunity if it’s packaged and positioned slightly better.

Last edited by Keca10; 10-29-2019 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 08:33 PM   #8
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Thank you for this post!

I noticed when I had CarPlay enabled, my connection to my WiFi agent is always hit or miss via the standard WiFi connection method. In order to successfully connect to my WiFi agent, I would first need to disconnect CarPlay, then it will work 100 percent of the time, after flashing I would re-enable CarPlay. It was kind of a mess.

I tried the USB method last night and it worked 100 percent every time.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 06:39 AM   #9
idiot
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Completely wired using USB-C to Ethernet would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 07:15 AM   #10
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You can do USB-C to Ethernet on a laptop. Just not sure it would work on an iPad Pro at this time.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 11:24 AM   #11
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Ive been told via Bootmod3 themselves via their ticketing system, that you can do everything via an iphone and iOS.

So.... whats the answer here?
proTUNING Freaks
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 04:26 PM   #12
TideMD
Some random guy
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeFelicia View Post
Ive been told via Bootmod3 themselves via their ticketing system, that you can do everything via an iphone and iOS.

So.... whats the answer here?
proTUNING Freaks
The answer is.... that's correct. All platforms provide full functionality. (one caveat being the delay between the website/agent updates and those changes appearing on the iOS app, but this is inherent to the App Store approval process and not a bm3/PTF issue)
      11-01-2019, 02:42 PM   #13
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TideMD View Post
The answer is.... that's correct. All platforms provide full functionality. (one caveat being the delay between the website/agent updates and those changes appearing on the iOS app, but this is inherent to the App Store approval process and not a bm3/PTF issue)
Yep, latest version is out already though as of yesterday

In addition, we've pushed out an update for the agent device. Here's what we've shared in the bootmod3 enthusiasts facebook group:

=======
UPDATE: OBD Agent WiFi issues with iOS 13 - confirmed fixed with the LATEST iOS 13.2, but we found a way to get it done on the device as it seemed unlikely Apple would ever address this at this point.

If you have an issue connecting over WiFi to your OBD Agent here are the steps to fix it:

1) Update your iOS to the latest version available, currently iOS 13.2 version.

2) Download the latest agent firmware from the Dropbox link below (pushed a few minutes ago), and re-flash your SD card:

https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/wiki/...irmware+Update

--------

Background story on the issue, boring, if you care:

As many of you know Apple's release of iOS 13 has seen a number of issues all over which they've quickly patched over the past few weeks with a number of releases. One of them however hasn't been fixed and it had to do with changes to how wifi hotspot-ing worked. They seemed to have changed the internal key that the wifi network on iOS gives out. We redid the entire image from scratch and set it up again fresh and everything just started to work again as before.
========

Last edited by proTUNING Freaks; 11-01-2019 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 03:00 PM   #14
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
So just to verify, v0.10.083 of the BM3 app on iOS supports using lightning to Ethernet adapter, connected to an ENET cable, to flash my 2020 z4 M40i with the B58 motor?

If this is true, can we use a Bluetooth wireless OBD adapter as well (theoretically)?
2021 Model Y Performance
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 04:20 AM   #15
luke79
Enlisted Member
France
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
OPTIONAL power source hookup:
To take it a step further, device can be installed on a piece of velcro in the driver's footwell area on the top plastic, run a short flat ENET cable from the OBD port over to the device's ethernet port and power it using power from the back of the OBD port (pin16 is 12v power, pin4 is ground).

Hi! Is the pin16 a permanent +12 that will slowly drain the battery, or will it power off at some point ?
Thanks

Last edited by luke79; 03-30-2020 at 04:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 02:40 PM   #16
ThatKasper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Reviving an old thread because I can't get a direct answer, even from BM3. Can you connect directly from the OBD port to an Android device's (my installed Avin head unit) USB port without a "hardware agent" in between? About to drop $900 on an app & doesn't make sense top spend $200-300 more & then have more hardware to hide to simply make a USB connection. Not at all interested in the wifi device, mainly because I don't want another box taking up space & that also needs power run to it.
2016 X5M - Long Beach Blue Metallic
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 04:18 PM   #17
Jim45678
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 f80

I wish I could connect via OBD2 Veepeak BLE. proTUNING Freaks
Appreciate 0