Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

10-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #23
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
i think the 2 series or 1 series is really Feminine car, honestly its "cute" and small. where a M3 or M4 is bigger and much more aggressive looking.

at least that what my friends and i think.
That's funny b/c I always felt the e92 shape and smoothness was feminine, especially non-M. And Even the M also. While I loved the m motor, I just never identified w/ the e92. Sure the bumpers helped, but really, the underlying car just isn't 'tough'.

I did always think the e90 M was a much more aggressive design than the e92.

And from what I can tell that trend continues with F series.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #24
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
The only thing needed to complete the move IMO is 5 series level of quality of material in the 3/4 series and an M2.
And a sub-3 sedan. It's coming although it will be FWD. There will be the 2 GC as well however.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #25
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
And a sub-3 sedan. It's coming although it will be FWD. There will be the 2 GC as well however.
Maybe a 4 door 2GC rwd as well? It took 8 years from the 3 series introduction to the first 4 door to be made with the E30. ( E21 ) was all 2 door. I'm sure we get one quicker this time around.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #26
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
On the question of 1-series practicality for children:

I'm 6'4"
My 3 yr old sits behind me in a 5 pt harness, just fine.
My 5 yr old sits behind the passenger in a bosster with hard back that uses the stock 3pt harness.

Also keep in mind the 1 series does have the kid seat latch system.

I take my kids to school twice a week, and ofter take the whole unit out for dinners, parks, whatever. And of course the kids absolutely love my car and demand it when given a choice.

And of course having the trunk means I can take the kids' scooters with us. -- but not my 5 yr old's bike.

So - yea it works and is very practical. When the kids outgrow their seats, they'll actually have more leg room.
Thanks! Excellent information and this pretty much concludes the if it's feasible question. Now let's see how the cars will stack up in subjective fun to drive factor and overall quality feel.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #27
solstice
Major General
Rep

I misread the latch system comment. You were saying that it does have it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 04:33 AM   #28
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
That was my fault. Not sure why I inserted a "not" in there when I read it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #29
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep - it has the latch system. As does the new 2.

This came up recently w/ a few friends with whom I was debating 911 vs BMW sport-oriented cars' practicality.

It is worth noting that the 991 is the first 911 to have the latch system in place. With young kids and being concerned with safety via a solidly mounted seat - BMW wins hands down, all the way up until the 991 - however it steps up into an entirely different price range.

Also to consider when thinking BMW vs 911, for kids: rear side airbags. I'm very pleased to know my 1-series has rear side airbags. I don't think any 911 has rear side airbags. One friend has a 964 - pretty and super fun, but nowhere near safe enough, even for the driver in my opinion, compared to modern cars. Another friend has 996TT,.... better driver safety, but rear seat safety for kids? Not sure the 996 has rear airbags. Wonder if the 991 has em.... The 964 driver never takes his 5 yr old w/ him in the P-car. The 996TT driver takes his 2 yr old places all the time, but can't have a front passenger when he does.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #30
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
Yep - it has the latch system. As does the new 2.

This came up recently w/ a few friends with whom I was debating 911 vs BMW sport-oriented cars' practicality.

It is worth noting that the 991 is the first 911 to have the latch system in place. With young kids and being concerned with safety via a solidly mounted seat - that BMW wins hands down, all the way up until the 991 - which steps into an entirely different price range.

Also to consider when thinking BMW vs 911, for kids: rear side airbags. I'm very pleased to know my 1-series has rear side airbags. I don't think any 911 has rear side airbags. One friend has a 964 - pretty and super fun, but nowhere near safe enough, even for the driver compared to modern cars. Another friend has 996TT,.... better driver safety, but rear seat safety for kids? Not sure the 996 has rear airbags. Wonder if the 991 has em....
Yes, unfortunately I had to drop the 991 idea. It does have latch but it does not have rear head rests ( not an option ) and the rear back rest is not very high which would be a problem as my nearly 9 year old is very tall and would be without neck support. This is sad for me who would love a 991 as my DD since once my oldest can sit up front at the age of 13 my youngest will now be 8 and she is also very tall. No 991 for me, I put my hopes in the upcoming smaller Porsche sedan to slot in underneath the Panny in size. I never understood how anyone can buy a car in the 991 price range and magnificent DD abilities to let it sit in the garage most of the week for the occassional wekend drive. That would kill me, so that's not an option.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #31
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

srsly. Can't believe people even lease those cars and only drive them on weekends. Nutz.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #32
solstice
Major General
Rep

Now when the launch is done I must say that the M235i looks great. Sure it's not at all an M car but I bet it's going to be a hoot to drive and it looks IMO better than the F3Xs. With the optional mechanical LSD, lowered performance suspension and short throw MT it should be quite a driver's car even if it will eat the M3's dust all day. Maybe I just cave to the status of owning an M in the end but for now I'm quite excited about the M235i.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #33
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Now when the launch is done I must say that the M235i looks great. Sure it's not at all an M car but I bet it's going to be a hoot to drive and it looks IMO better than the F3Xs. With the optional mechanical LSD, lowered performance suspension and short throw MT it should be quite a driver's car even if it will eat the M3's dust all day. Maybe I just cave to the status of owning an M in the end but for now I'm quite excited about the M235i.
The M2 is still to come. However, I think my 1M will be replaced by the M3 for DD duty when it comes out.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #34
gee-m-w
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S4

I like. They're doing the Audi mirrors. Should give the RS3 a run.

10-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #35
RMB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi TTRS

Garage List
Does everyone think the new M3/M4 will blow away an M235i performance wise, or are we seeing the gap narrow between vehicles within BMW's model range. If BMW said 4.8 sec to 60 and that is probably being conservative, where does that leave the new M3/M4? I have also heard people say that it can't encroach upon the M5/M6 numbers otherwise those owners who spent more will be angry. Any thoughts from the forum?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #36
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Maybe I missed it, but why get rid of your E90 M? It's still young. I'm also tempted by the M235i due to less gas cost, low lease payment, and it's really an awesome package that is NEW. But my E90 is the real deal and it's incredible. It also is still worth about $45k with plenty of "equity" in it now. With the M235i we're starting all over again and aside from a fancy new car, it's not going to be better than the E9x M3 - especially if you have kids to throw in the back.
Appreciate 0